Your Bucket List Motorcycle Adventure

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wire-Wheels, Jul 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SleepyOwl

SleepyOwl Crème de la Crème

Jul 26, 2019
    Cornwall
    WoW! Sounds fantastic. What bikes will you be on?

2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    IMG_0166.JPG IMG_0167.JPG I've already ticked off my biggie trip, twice since retiring, to the Spanish Pyrenees on the bike and then flying gliders in the mountains. The top picture is me setting off on the first trip (a friend took my rucksack down in a trailer, so I only had it for a short time). The second picture is on aerotow into the mountains.

The next year I repeated the trip on my Tiger 800.

Also done a couple of tours of Scotland and the Classic Isle of Man TT.

My bucket list now is to do it all again!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #43 Biker Jock, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Don't plan it then. Get a multi-day pass (assuming, like me, you need a pass to go out on your own), head north or east or south (order of my personal preference from where you are), take random turns where you don't recognise the name(s) on the signpost or there is no signpost. Stop at a b&b/cheap hotel when tired.

Turn around when you hit the coast. Repeat until pass runs out or you don't give a monkeys anymore.

P.S. take a passport, just in case
    P.P.S. last time I did something like that, I went through a village called Cow Roast (no, seriously). Thought I'd slipped into a parallel Dudley Watkins' world (created Desperate Dan amongst many others).

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dallenbaugh

Dallenbaugh Active Member

Jan 5, 2019
    Santa Cruz , CA
    #44 Dallenbaugh, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    In my early thirties I purchased a Honda V45 in Las Angeles and drove it back to Minnesota. That trip was was the longest rides I had and was great and I always wanted to take a cross country trip again. One day I blinked and before I knew it I was 71. Yikes! Well after reading about other people's trips I decided it's never to late. Purchased a 2018 Speedmaster, added a windscreen and Corbin seat and on Aug 22 I am off. First stop is Bonneville salt flats to help a buddy do speed trials on his 1955 Indian then on to Minnesota via Colorado through the Rocky Mountains. From there I'm heading south through Glen Canyon and Staircase and Zion national parks in Utah. From there on to Las Vegas to meet my wife, she negotiated that deal. From Las Vegas head north to Yellowstone and then finally back home to Santa Cruz, CA. Total about 5,000 miles, 8046 KM for you British folks. Will I make it? I don't know but I'll ride with a broad smile across my face until I can't ride anymore. So, if you have bucket list item, don't wait to long, one day you'll blink and you'll be 71.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Very nice but us British folk still work in statute miles buddy, it's our continental neighbours that converted to kilometres :p:p

6. Dallenbaugh

Jan 5, 2019
    Santa Cruz , CA
    Oh, sorry about that.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

I was at the Yorkshire pudding rally this weekend gone :)
    Met up with my rally mates who hail from the Grimsby area and all ride Hardly Ablesons :eek:
    So we all get pissed up as you do :p and the conversation turns to your bucket list :cool:
    First one we’re doing together is the Dragon rally in Welsh Wales in the middle of winter (February):)
    Then we’re doing a trip to France and Spain but dunno which way round yet but we are gonna do it :cool:
    I know this because we went over some plans when we were SOBER :eek: (Very early in the morning):p
    New Zealand was mentioned as well and one of the lads is looking into this :)
    Lands end to John o groats in one day is being planned as well :) but yet to be decided which way round to do it :confused:
    One lad wants to do a tour of Scotlandshire and even though I’ve done about 12 of them I said I would do this as well :)
    Had two seasons out of NUDGER now so might look into getting something else for these trips :p
    (Not a Hardly though):cool::p

• Like Like x 2
  8. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Let me know Dilli, when you firm up your plans as my local keeps plenty of JD in stock !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Well...there was certainly a lot drunk at the Yorkshire pudding!!
    Me and my lad are aiming a Route 66 gig next year..meeting daughter in LA...I insist on taking in Vegas again!
    Friend has mentioned Scottish 500...some of that America stuff sound mint..Dragons tail...what’s that?!
    Himalayers sounds a good one..
    Given my partner of 6 years dumped me last week (wants a baby/marriage) and she knows they are red lines to me and always been honest about that...any way...the point is...I may just fook off anywhere I like..for as long as I like..with whoever I like..just maybe someone who would ride with me...like Scarlet Johansen

• Like Like x 3
  10. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    @Ron Ashurst might object to your choice of companion, mate...:p:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Dallenbaugh

Jan 5, 2019
    Santa Cruz , CA
    Dragons tail...what’s that?! It's 318 curves in 11 miles!
    https://tailofthedragon.com/
    Never drove it but read a lot about it. A must for many riders.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    The "Tail Of The Dragon" is just one of Hundreds of great roads in North Carolina, the Dragon is a great looking road but it is a really busy road,,and the speed limit there is only 30mph! although i imagine not many folk stick to that,It's a place on my bucket list,i've actually gone as far as creating daily routes for a fortnight in and around the smoky mountains and thats just scratching the surface. If i ever manage to go i'd get up early and beat the crowds to the Dragon

• Like Like x 2
  13. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
  15. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

My main bucket list item is to do a decade long motorcycle tour of interesting parts of the world with a buxom nymphomaniac supermodel as pillion...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    That's an awful lot of riding! :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I get what your saying about just going.... When I posted my response I was thinking more about special planning for a mega once in a life time trip. I'm still in that place where I'm don't have that magic inspiration for a mega trip. So as an interim I've booked a trip in early September to tour around Yorkshire.
    Wessa

18. Martin Joseph Lowe

Martin Joseph Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Merseyside
    Where would your Yorkshire plan include..? been living up there for 2 yrs and hammered around a lot of it...some great riding countryside and coast..
    M

19. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Riding down from Newcastle to Ripon (staying a B&B), then riding west across to Cumbria and looping back to Ripon. Then riding east across to Whitby, looping back and then heading north back to Newcastle.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    I have allways wanted to do a coast to coast . California to Maine

• Like Like x 2