Your Bucket List Motorcycle Adventure

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Wire-Wheels, Jul 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #1 Wire-Wheels, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    After some conversation on this site, I see that I'm not the only one getting on in years. What is YOUR dream adventure on your motorcycle ? I know I have mine, but I'll get to that a little later. What is that dream. What is keeping you from fulfilling it ? OR -- What are your plans ? I'll give you mine if you give me yours !. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    I live in Kansas land of 35-45 mph crosswinds, bought a motorcoach to act as home base for the bike to explore different regions on a budget. So bucket list is to eat my way across America at mom & pop restaurants and avoid population centers.
    Southern Colorado
    Northern New Mexico
    Southern Utah and maybe the wassach mountains
    Northern California
    Montana + Idaho
    Old Mexico
    Badlands
    Rural Cajun country food fest lasting at least three weeks
    Maine
    Alaska & Canada
    Blue ridge parkway and Tail of the Dragon

• Like Like x 7
  3. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #3 Wire-Wheels, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    I keep having this re-occurring day dream. I guess I watched too much "Then Came Bronson" back in my younger years. I live in the desert South-West. I keep dreaming of swinging my leg over my old, somewhat modified America.and hitting I-40 where it starts out here. Funny. I don't dream of doing this on my 900 Sprint, with panniers, trunk, long range tank and 6 speed gearing. Just me and a duffle bag. Loud pipes and all. Hell, the thing does not even have a windscreen. But that is what goes through my head.

I have schemed that the practicle way to do this is cheat a bit. Go credit card camping. I have a crew cab pickup and a motorcycle trailer. Load it up and hit old I-40 eastbound. When I get to a town that looks promising, whip out the credit card and get a room. Pull the bike off the trailer and explore for a day or three. When I have seen enough, load the America on the trailer and down the road to the next interesting town. Maybe come back via a DIFFERENT west bound interstate.

I could enjoy this for a few weeks, but the wife doesn't ride at all. My kids would send out a search party. Guess I'm going to have to outlive the wife, then I'll tell the kids to leave me be if they do not want to be cut out of my will. Oh well... It is a great day dream. ...J.D. Heel_Toe Shifter.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  4. Dodge74

Dodge74 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Lincoln
    I’ve a few dreams and ideas , but I would really like to go from Murmansk to Vladivostok on my Tiger

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Would that be the most Northerly and Southerly place in Russia?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    There's quite a few places still left on my bucket list,top of the list is the Smoky Mountains/Blue Ridge Mountains "Tail Of The Dragon" being the most famous road but there are loads of brilliant roads around that area which look just as good if not better and woudn't be near as busy, i reckon i'd need at least a month though..next on the list is New Zealand again i'd need at least a month there too

• Like Like x 2
  7. Too hot

Too hot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Costa del Clyde Scotchland
    In honour of the fish and chips thread,I’m going to Whitby !

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  8. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Iv'e got 2,much more chance of doing the 2nd one.1] flying to northern india and getting on an enfield and going across the bottom of the himalayas through nepal,tibet etc.2] fly to seattle and hire a bike and ride down the PCH through san fran,los angeles and ending at Laguna Seca for a WSB race,always wanted to go there.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I cannot for the life of me think of anywhere at the moment that lights me up enough to drive me into planning a trip. Inspiration required I guess.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Mine;
    A decent sized motorhome (well by UK standards) with a good bike in the back garage (current 765 rs fits the bill). It would be nice if I could fit an off road bike in as well, say a KTM EXC.
    Load it all up with activities, fishing gear, mountain bikes, canoes, camping stuff etc. and set off.............. destination wherever I fancy!
    Duration unknown!
    Probably spend a bit of time in Scotland then nip over to Norway and then head over to Russia.

Mortgage and bills etc. opens my eyes and I'm quickly back to the real world............ 80ll0cks!

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Got mine sorted.

21289.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    Had an acquaintance here in town a few.years.back. Crashed his beat up old '52 Harley. I wondered, knowing he had more riding experience than that. Coroners Office said he died of a massive heart attack. Poor old guy had been mourning the loss of his wife for over a year. Really sad story. ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  13. stinger

stinger Senior Member

Nov 28, 2017
    Yarnbrook
    I would like to go to the States and ride, mainly to see where my Maternal Grandmother came from...
    Golconda
    Illinois

Iceland
    Norway
    New Zealand

• Like Like x 1
  14. freck

freck Elite Member

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Iceland is definitely one on my bucket list. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I've been to all of those places .... bar the last four - though I did ride a Gold Wing from Muskegon to Vancouver Island, then down to LA where I left it with my friend.

IMHO the top three in your list should be the top three in your list!

Having been to Guanajuato would make me think twice before going back to Mexico. That's a terrible thing to say - I shouldn't judge a nation for one city and its odd proclivities, but I'd guess that was the final straw for me.

There is enough in the Four Corners region alone to fill a bucket list.

16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    No, Ron, nothing to do with donkeys .... least not a far as I know. It was the (to me) entirely distasteful display of mummified corpses and the history behind it that sat rather uncomfortably with my working class upbringing! Well, that and a few other features of Mexico that I just didn't feel the need to consider revisiting at any time in the near future - especially not while there are SO many nice places in the U.S. that I've yet to see.

My 2c. :)

• Like Like x 2
  17. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    There is enough in the Four Corners region alone to fill a bucket list.

I have been to the Four Corners area a couple of times, and agree that is an interesting and scenic area, my wife has a love of Navajo turquoise jewellery and after reading books about the Navajo Tribal Police, I wanted to visit the area as well, well worth a visit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Pretty much anywhere within "The Golden Circle" centred on Four Corners is worth a visit but the wider region is just so rich in so many things - culture; history; scenery; activities - you name it (unless you name a theme park :)) ....... it's a great place.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Like Jax in “Sons of Anarchy”. I get it, Ron. I, too, want to die doing something I love and riding motorcycles is at the top of that list. That said, I do have a few bucket list items that I hope to get to before that happens.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    My husband and I dream and scheme about motorcycle bucket list trips regularly! Some of the trips already mentioned by others are ones that we've been blessed to be able to have done, Colorado and northern New Mexico in particular. In the U.S. we'd like to do more routes in Colorado and repeat some of our favorites!. Riding in the mountain of Colorado is an astounding experience.

Other dream trips in the US include the Pacific Coast Highway in California from Santa Barbara north through San Francisco into the Wine Country; Bryce, Zion, and Canyonlands National Parks in Utah; and the Natchez Trace from Jackson, Mississippi to Nashville, Tennessee. We'd also like to ride in the Canadian Rockies.

Probably our biggest bucket list dream trip destination is Spain but we're not sure where in Spain would be the best for riding. The southern coast? The northern mountains? Both?! Any recommendations would be most welcome!

Finally, after being involved on this forum for the past several months, I'd love to ride in the UK and Ireland. We'd just need to figure out the dry(est) time of the year. ;)

• Like Like x 2