Wow! First Ever Real Road Rage Incident

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gazzatheyid, Nov 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gazzatheyid

gazzatheyid Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Hey guys,

So experienced my first up close road rage incident on Monday:

White van man cuts me up badly on a 3 in to 2 lane, so I go on the inside (as clear) and give the hand gestures. He swerves his van close to me and back. Then gets out his van a 100 yards down the road (as we have to stop at a crossing) and shouts abuse and tries a two handed push to try to remove me from my bike! I managed to stay on somehow but thought better of retaliating as he had a mate in the van and would involve dismounting and leaving my bike in the middle of the road. Plus was not far from work and not the best warm up for the day at 7AM.

Thinking of getting a go pro or something as had nothing on him or the van.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Drift Ghost XL Action Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ST83GKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gCW3Db49RKCYD

Ignore the single one star review
    Drift are blimmin good cameras
    I have had one for over 6 years and saved my ass from the insurance companies on two separate occasions
    Worth their weight in gold

Search in YouTube for Red Thunder Triumph and you will find my channel of odd clips in the results

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Elite Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe

Insurers wanted to immediately go for 50/50 responsibility. After they had seen the video I successfully argued 100 other parties fault and won...pluse personal damage, injured and loss of earnings.... paid for new helmet, trousers and jacket.

Always have a camera if you can

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Dozers Dad

Dozers Dad Bushmills Chief Quality Controller
    Subscriber

If it happens again. Keep your lid on, invite the guy in closer for another go at pushing you off your bike.
    Then nut him.
    I don't care how much of a bad ass he might think he is? A head enclosed in a bowling ball style outer shell with your body weight behind it.
    Will put him on his arse. His mate in the van can then load him into the back it.
    As a gesture if goodwill, you could even offer to help him?

Other options/outcomes are available. But none are anywhere near as satisfying. When used on a bully such as you met on Monday :blush:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Duckadiledundee

Duckadiledundee Peasant First Class
    Subscriber

Jun 24, 2019
    High Peak
    I normally use a go pro and have found that most other road users will act differently when they see the camera and it does help as a deterrent against such attacks...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Hi RT,

I reckon your "filtering" speed was asking for trouble mate? (unless the camera angle gives a false impression of speed?)
    I'd say you were very lucky to get a 100% pay out.

• Agree Agree x 10
  7. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    #7 gazzatheyid, Nov 28, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    I was wondering that. I tend to do around 15mph above stationary due to t*wats such as the one you encountered. Gives you a little bit of reaction time anyway.

Glad you won mate.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Haha love it.

What a coward though. You're obviously vulnerable in that position. I was riding the new Blackbird commuter I bought and she's a very baby. Getting that off my leg wouldn't have been nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Subscriber

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    Aye, as I understand it, 15mph is the accepted filtering speed. Looked a bit faster than that tbh.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You have to expect lane changers. Filtering at speed isn’t ‘filtering’ - it’s an active search for the one waiting to get you! I would rather avert the accident than moan about being ‘in the right’ from my hospital bed........

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  11. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Mirror signal manoeuvre isn't that hard though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    You have overly high expectations of your average motorist who is more concerned with his distractions than his driving.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Mirror signal manoeuvre isn't that hard though.
    Agreed. I commute on the motorway on a daily basis and the ones draping across the next lane are inevitably messing with their mobile phone.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I used a slightly different version of that saying when teaching my son to ride a motorcycle, but it does stand true mate, being right is no comfort when your in the ambulance!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst I came into the world screaming & covered in blood
    Subscriber

At about 40 Seconds he says due to the wide angle lens it gives the illusion of increased speed.
    It looks like a good camera.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. John Scotcher

John Scotcher Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Stoke on Trent,UK
    Filtering at that speed doesn't give any other road users the time to react to your rapid filtering. If you were travelling to work, I suggest you get up 10 minutes earlier and save your life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  17. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Not guilty, not my video! Interested to see what speed @Red Thunder was actually doing as appears faster on camera.

As above I generally go around 15mph tops above stationary and 10 above in moving traffic (if that) depending on the variable speed limit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

Yeah, I saw that Ron.
    IMHO, it still looks too fast for filtering. The lens isn't a fish-eye it's just slightly wide angle.

RT seems happy with the result from the insurance company. Personally, I'd rather not have had the accident.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. gazzatheyid

Dec 22, 2016
    Shropshire
    Being spread across the motorway isn't anyones idea of fun!

Great demonstration of how the camera can influence insurance companies as I bet 50/50 would have been agreed without witnesses

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Dozers Dad

Subscriber

That's the bit that's confusing me gazza?
    I'm amazed the insurance company didn't say RT's filtering speed was excessive.
    I don't reckon I'd have dared to submit that footage to them. For fear of it coming back to bite me in the arse o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1