Featured Women And Their Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Iron, Mar 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    #21 Iron, Mar 6, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    Having a look round the above sites - VC London and WIMA GB - I've gotta say that they appear to be miles more organised, outgoing and potentially member friendly than other 'clubs' I've been associated with.

I've been a member of a few clubs, from flying colours to TOMCC. It has ranged from "we'll decide whether we like you enough before you can join our club" to "oh, you'd like to buy a club badge, that'll be 5 quid" then he goes back to talking to his chums with me left standing there holding my badge.

I'm not on Facebook but I can see the pages, have a quick look at these and compare

https://www.facebook.com/vclondon/

https://m.facebook.com/groups/107924219251505/

I would have quite liked to have attended one of the TOMCC Bristol's yearly bashes but they only accept cheques. I don't have a chequebook any more.

There's a new way now, all power to them......go get em @Mrs Visor and @Sandi T

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I am obviously brand new to all of this, but so far have found the female biking fraternity extremely friendly and encouraging of new riders joining the fold - I have in my life often been the only female in quite a few situations (often for months at a time) or one of a tiny minority and perhaps that colours the way I see things. I know how it feels to be the one having to "prove" myself against male standards and expectations, often needing to do things far better than men in order to gain respect and acceptance. Perhaps traditionally that has been the case in biking, so adding more females to the fold can only strengthen the cause - we actively like to see other female riders out and about and generally have a chat and grow stronger in numbers, working to change attitudes. I am fortunate in that I have come to biking late in terms of having to fight to be recognised, but I imagine that the early days were probably more difficult for women. There also (HUGE generalisation I accept) seem to be far fewer egos and a willingness to share mistakes - maybe as so many of us have come into biking relatively late compared to men. I DO have an issue with an expectation from some quarters to be overtly feminine to fit in / fit the "pink" mould and that sometimes means that I fit in a little less but really all I want to be seen as by any other biker is a person who also enjoys riding a bike.

Male bikers also seem pretty welcoming to females out and about and I have encountered very few problems beyond being patronised occasionally - but less welcoming to other males. (Again a massive generalisation, I have met some really unfriendly women and some brilliant men, of course and am far from being a man hater!!!).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Back in the early eighties my girlfriend rode a GPz 550 and my mates girlfriend rode a Z650. Very unusual at that time but they rode miles on those bikes and were treated as equals by the majority of people. If anyone did disrespect them they certainly didn't hold back:grinning:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Pleased to hear it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Jenny Tinmouth is also a great TT racer. Once having the lap record for a female racer I believe ? Someone might be able to confirm or correct me on that. Don`t know if Jenny still does the TT though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Do think Jenny still does the TT. I also remember Kate Parkinson riding the roads in the 90's was it?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Neal H

Neal H Active Member

Mar 7, 2021
    England
    I posted this on another thread, but it seems appropriate here.

My Great Aunt Marjorie, circa 1930. A true trail blazer!
    CD0768E4-914E-407C-AB5F-967A44AE4DD6.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  8. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Brilliant photo!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Mrs Visor, I so appreciated your thoughtful post. Your comments and experiences in many ways mirror my own thoughts and observations. When I do meet women riders they are typically very friendly and encouraging of others. Unfortunately, what I'm finding is that there seem to be fewer and fewer women riders around in my area. I'm really not sure why. And the women I have ridden with over the 11 or so years I've been riding seem to be riding less and less or stopping altogether which saddens me greatly. There is something different about riding with women than with men and I think you've described that different well. That all said, I love and am grateful for all of my men riding buddies who I truly consider "friends" and not so much "men friends". I am never patronized by my men ride buddies but have been by some dealership staff--but even that is quite rare (thankfully).

I am in complete agreement with you on two brilliant points you made. First, there are some really unfriendly women and some brilliant men--and vice versa. I do think it comes down more to the individual person than the persons gender. And the other point is that, like you said, "really all I want to be seen as by any other biker is a person who also enjoys riding a bike". The love of motorcycles and riding is what links us to one another--male or female.

Oh yes, and one more great point you made. As women riders, we are riding on the shoulders of those pioneer women riders before us. And I thank them for it.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    Aunt Maude in the early 1920’s on her “The Bradbury 4hp”, proving 100 years of unbroken motorcycling in my family. A0D3E6B8-533B-486B-AA2E-3C019840A573.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  11. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    That looks a BIG bike:eek:

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    I think it’s more of a tiny aunt Maude!, evidently I met her a few times when I was a child but I have no recollection, she and her husband were both keen motorcyclists according to her son, he’s still with us at 90.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    @Iceman, I don't know how I missed this post! :eek: Thanks for sharing this information. Did you post any additional info in another forum or thread? I definitely want to read more about these women, particularly Beryl Swain. :heart:

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Just now saw your post, @Iron. Thanks for the support and encouragement! I'm seeing these posts late relative to when they were posted, but I may be seeing these posts at just the right time. And here's why I say that. This coming Thursday I'm meeting with a friend of mine, Roe, who is the new General Manager at the smaller of the two Harley dealerships in Tucson. The two of us, along with the new marketing director Alexa, are going to brainstorm how to encourage women riders and encourage more women to ride. I've been mulling over how to do just that and, in conjunction with his new position, Roe has been thinking about that, too! So seeing your post and that of @Iceman have given me encouragement as well as some ideas and information as I start on what could be a very cool new motorcycle adventure. Any ideas or more info is welcomed!

Check out this women's riding "collective" called The Litas. There are chapters all around the world and in Arizona there are chapters in six cities and towns--but NOT Tucson! So forming a Litas chapter is one idea. @Mrs Visor, perhaps you could be an honorary Tucson chapter member! :D But we shall see what the future holds. :)

https://www.insurance.harley-davidson.com/the-open-road/safety/the-litas

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Why can't I be an honorary Tucson member? :):grinning:. Oh yeah, poo bears.
    Best of luck with doing something with your riding chums. Make it open, make it easily available, make it inexpensive, make it as often as possible and most of all, make it fun :p

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Watched the full Elspeth Beard video a little while ago, a true biking legend in her own time. It was a great watch and well worth giving it time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Of course you can be an honorary Tucson member, @Iron. :grinning: Especially if I have any say-so about it which should be a slam dunk if I'm one of the organizers. ;):joy: I love your "make it..." list. Short and sweet and it pretty much covers all the bases. Thanks!

The first brainstorming / planning meeting is tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon. I heard through one of the dealership employees that the GM already shared the overall idea with all of his dealership employees at their last staff meeting so he's enthusiastic! :) I'll keep you posted on the progress.

image.png

• Like Like x 3