Featured Women And Their Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Iron, Mar 3, 2022.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Was tripping the light fantastic on t'tinernet and came across the Women's International Motorcycle Association. Nope, not having many friends, and not getting out much, I'd never heard of them either.

But well worth having a look at some of their recommended reading blogs. And, maybe even ordering a book or two.

https://www.wimagb.co.uk/recommended-reading/

Watch out for the Dusty Old Bags' blog.

(Also, by the way, can you put in a good word for me advertising their stuff, they might invite me as an honorary member :))

• Like Like x 7
  2. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Iron.
    Great topic. Nice to see both sides of motorcycling.
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I've never heard of them - thanks @Iron I'll take a look!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    My wife tells me that many years ago before we met, she started to do some motorbike training but it all went wrong and in her own words she "drove up a fence". She quit. Shame. She can't even ride pillion now because of her arthritis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • WTF WTF x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sorry on the fence with this one.
    Joe.

7. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm not even on the fence, Joe. I haven't done the research (yet) but my hypothesis would be that if automobile or motorcycle accident rates between men and women were compared (based on proportionality) there'd be no significant difference. I think people are people when it comes to driving. Now if we looked at accident rates among males aged 18-29, that might bear closer scrutiny!

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Thanks for this wonderful link, @Iron!! :):kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mark9

Mark9 Noble Member

Jul 13, 2020
    Derby
    #9 Mark9, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Phew, I expected to tied to a post and shot for posting that video Sandi! :)

On a serious note studies I’ve seen in the past have said that there’s little difference in the accident rates per mile between males and females, however the causes were different, males having accidents due to bravado and risk taking and females due to inattentive driving, I have a female friend that IMO is a far better driver than me, but then my wife’s driving isn’t good, I have a male friend who’s driving also isn’t good and so it goes on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T.
    I take Tracy's ability as a driver and a late motorcyclist and she is unbelievable. She has avoided a couple of near misses over the years that i have witnessed and i would have said no way. On the other hand she really doesn't care about the car wheels scratches little dents here and there and if i mention it she say its a bloody piece of metal don't go on. And then my eldest boy is a terrific driver. So sorry still on the fence. As i think we may well be equals.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I figured there were studies available on this very topic. The most salient variables affecting accident rates are probably somewhat )but loosely) connected to gender but more likely due to individual differences in personal characteristics like risk aversiveness, attentiveness, skills and experience, etc.

Tying you up to a post and shooting you, hmmmm....I didn't even think of that option, @Mark9 ! ;):joy:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds like Tracy is a wonderful driver, Joe...and your eldest boy, too. And I'll bet that you'd have been able to steer clear of those bad circumstances, too, if you actually had faced them behind the wheel. I do wish I could take a little of Tracy's devil-may-care attitude about dings and scratches. Those make me crazy whether on my car or my bikes! :p:joy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    But I would hazard a guess that Tracy doesn't drive a gleaming Mustang Sandi :grinning:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    #14 Dartplayer, Mar 5, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    Yes, testosterone can be the cause of much risk taking. Especially in the large quantities pumped through adolescents :p it’s natural for both sexes to become risk averse as we age, but strangely I have found some friends who were late bloomers who enjoy steering death in the face :p 1800cc cruisers, V8 classics, diving, etc :eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Sandi T
    Yes she is fab. I have been in the car a few times once when i young driver came haring up behind us and straight into the back of the car. How she missed the car in front i still can't work it out. And a few years ago she was on a Triumph 500 coming down the m4 when this open back truck had two bike rolls of foam on the back both flew out straight in front of her and thank God she steered that bike around both of them i though she was going to be of for sure. At that time we were riding with a club called the Horny Devils not members. They chased the driver down and poor bloke was terrified. She had to tell them to leave him alone but he was shaking from head to toe. There are other things that makes her so good. Only time i remember is she scraped the side of a car as she was going to pick something up for me and i was in a bit of a mood and she just misjudged the distance between the cars. Again she said its just a piece of metal no one got hurt so leave it at that which i did.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  16. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dawsy
    No she doesn't she has CMAX And like i say the wheels are scratched to pieces and there are scrapes all over. Bet you know what she says. I do try to get her to buy a Jag but that's never going to happen. When i bring it up she says you go and pass your test and buy what you like. But a mustang all gleaming black would be a nice bonus if the petrol prices come down again.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Have all Lois Pryce`s books. Her first book Lois On The Loose first got me interested in idea of around world trip on motorbike. It shows you don`t have to have latest and greatest bike to do it. Recommend any of Lois`s books for a good read. Will it ever happen who`s knows, but something to aim for Hopefully on a Triumph
    000609381-hq-168-80.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    Cor, what a thing that would be. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    I had an e mail on the 5th March from the IOM TT Races, it fits this thread nicely I think, the subject is a Spotlight on the fearless females of the TT, In celebration of International Women's Day, this week they feature some of these fearless females, names like Beryl Swain, Maria Costello and Vicky Cooke together, setting the wheels in motion for a brand new, all-girl racing team with its focus on the TT 2022. I have posted news about Maria and Vicky before, this will be one exciting duo to watch, Vick has a very interesting family history (another great TT Sidecar competitor). Click on the link and have a read. For those abroad who are unable to visit the TT, then sign up for the TT+ Live Pass, this will be available for a one-off payment of £14.99 and this will gift you live coverage of not only every qualifying session and every race at TT 2022, but also all of the insight and analysis that goes with it.
    With over 40 hours of TT on offer, the Live Pass represents tremendous value for money for fans both close to home and around the globe. In fact, with up to ten days of Mountain Course action in 2022 (six qualifying sessions and four race days) that’s as little as £1.50 a day, I will post the date it goes on sale or keep an eye out via the website. For those new to the TT imagine this, St. Ninian's Crossroads, this follows after the first bend on the course, which although it's located just 500 meters after the start line, the top riders are reaching speeds of over 180mph often on 1 wheel very close to the kerbside, some sections see speeds in excess of 200 mph. Ride safe all from an ageing Rocker.
    Isle of Man TT Races© - A tribute to Beryl Swain (iomttraces.com)

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Iron

Iron Elite Member

Dec 29, 2021
    Bob Ross Studios
    I had no idea and had never heard of Beryl. A lot of my family lived in Walthamstow at that time as well. I must've been just round the corner from her in my youth.
    Almost unbelievable the rules that were applied to stop her racing.
    At least these guys are keeping her memory going, go girls

https://www.vclondon.co.uk/

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1