Winter Storage Question

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Dagger, Nov 8, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dagger

Dagger New Member

I am about to put my '14 Speedmaster into winter storage (winter comes early here in Canada and lasts a loooong time!)

How important is it that I change the oil and filter before putting her to sleep? I am due for a change (I have about 9000 km on this oil (I use full synthetic)

Is it preferable to change it now or is it better to start fresh in the spring?

Any other storage tips??

2. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I'd do the change in the spring

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Leave till spring :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    As you can see, opinions vary widely. I bet you're sorry you asked now. Some people go "overboard" and treat their bikes with kid gloves. Real men treat em mean and keep em keen ! ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    I'd only change the oil before winter lay up if it was very old ! As oil would have high levels of contaminants , these would include acids ! And acid is bad, otherwise just park it put battery optimiser on and all will be good

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tim Schultz

Tim Schultz Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Been riding and racing for 40 years.
    Lots of different bikes, but my 96 Sprint that I've owned for 22 years and have 50K miles on it and it has received the same treatment every year. When the snow flies it's fuel stabilizer in a fresh filled 3/4 tank of premium 92 octane, battery tender connected, cover for the long winter. Spring time it's always new syn oil (Mobile RT4) and new filter. Hinkley built motor is bullet proof, best by far of all my different rides. I'll do the same with my 06 BMW K1200S.
    Live in South Dakota so I understand winter and feel for you being a bit more north............Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Convert it. Put skies on the front, supports on the rear. Swap out the rear tyre for one of them snow track hobbies with nails, studs and deep grooves.
    ACF50 and/or FS365 for paint protection

Ride it like you stole it through winter

New oil in spring and put it back to road setup
    :p:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. t552

t552 Senior Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Bristol UK
    For me do now rather than spring as issues said above.