First Winter Storage

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Repooh, Oct 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    "Winters Coming John Snow" as they say in Game of Thrones.

First winter of bike ownership, clearing out garage at the weekend, where does all this crap come from.

I will aim to start Edna (Street Twin) once a week (or more) and weather permitting take a short run to get the fluids moving (mine and hers)

Ordered an Optimate 4.

Shall I get wheels off ground? I have a rear paddock stand and bobbins, could get a front one?, kinda wished I added a centre stand (may still do so, TEC do one, is it shite). or is side stand okay? I'm thinking it's probably good to get weight off tyres?

Good wash and dry, ACF50 her bits, cover, top up rat poison so the wee bastards don't nibble Edna

Anything else I should do?

Thanks for your patients? I'm conscious I ask a lot of questions and give little back, other than my charm, good looks and hilarious quips.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    Personally I don’t start mine unless I’m going to ride it. Unless you have it running for quite a long time all you are doing is filling the exhaust with acidic condensation which will contribute to the exhaust rotting from the inside out ( I know modern exhausts are made of much higher quality materials than before) the optimate is a good investment though. Just my thoughts, my personal preference y’understand. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    Yes also if not up to full temp you will get condensation in the gearbox etc. I tend to move my bikes a bit pump the suspension and brakes occasionally then fire up for a full few heat cycles every month or two. Also I seal up the garage door with that silver bubble wrap and have a dehumidifier in there. If well vented in your garage the DH may not be a good idea .. the other thing about taking the bike for a run is that a small amount of salt will soon cause havoc compared with leaving the bike inside.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Tony Richardson

Tony Richardson Active Member

Sep 15, 2018
    Norwich
    On my bikes with carbs, I also add fuel stabilizer to the tank, modern unleaded fuel goes off very quickly these days, don't know if EFI models will need to have this treatment though, never had one until now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I just store mine. Every month or so I wheel them out of the Garage and run till nice and hot. Then next year I will drain the petrol and refill. Seems to work for me When stored I cover them with blankets.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  6. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Thanks Jez, I was just about to post the question about fuel injection.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Retired Phil

Retired Phil Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2017
    San Rafael
    a fuel stabilizer like Sta-Bil is cheap insurance for a long hibernation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Help me Obi Wan...

Help me Obi Wan... Well-Known Member

9. sam triple

sam triple Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2018
    hampshire
    #9 sam triple, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    read somewhere yesterday some old football socks filled with cat litter is good for stopping condensation ,not tried it but its cheap enough not to give it a go,keep mine on paddock stands and with a fleece lined cover over it plugged in to an optimiser

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Richard Neale

Richard Neale Active Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Northwich
    I have a dehumidifier in my garage and it takes several litres a week to keep the humidity under 70%. A sock full of cat litter wont make much difference unless your bike is sealed up in a big bag (you can buy a kit for this which is very good https://www.demon-tweeks.com/vac-ba...PqXVG8jNCS9qAwYSFcIaAgwMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds) Select which bag size in drop down, the link starts on just the dessicant bag.. Worked well for my old ninja in the shed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 3, 2018
    Leek
    you were right those Tec centre stands are shit. i ride all year round so never have fuel issues or feel the need to sorn.

12. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    checklist for winter storage.
    1) Add stabilizer, then top off with fuel.
    2) get a thick rubber mat over a 1/2 inch and roll bike on mat.This protects the tires, shocks are tough they can handle the mere weight of the bike.
    3) A trickle charger is a must, plug the bike in at the very least once a week (for the week) per month. I use the last week of every month.
    4) Dust cover and moth balls inside the cover...mice avoid it like the plague.
    5) Make sure the antifreeze is less than 2 years old...if not flush and refill.
    6) Don't even think of starting the bike unless you are letting it run and the ambient temp is way above freezing for a LONG time before starting. Ice forms on the inside of the gearbox and will not be nice to the engine better off just let it sit when the temps are right you can do want you want......til then she will be fine just sitting there........
    Lastly. Wait for warmer weather like the rest of us.
    Oil changes are up to you, fresh oil sitting in a motor for the winter is probably a good idea, but I been doing everything I ever owned in the spring, haven't blown a motor yet.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    Thanks Rocket, going to make myself sound super thick, but here goes; on point one, what is stabaliser, sounds like some chemical that goes in the fuel tank? How do you get it out when you want to start her up

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    here ya go..
    It stays in mixes with the fuel and burns away as you drive it next spring.....works great.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kerry Lohrey

Kerry Lohrey Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Tasmania
    I use a battery tender while my bikes and car are not in use also, just a way of keeping the batteries activated !! Ha!ha! we are heading into summer down here in Tasmania !!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. MrOrange

MrOrange Guest

Put it on a battery optimiser and get tyres off cold concrete floor.

That's it.

Start it to listen to the noise if you want, I often need a fix , just to make me smile, or don't, makes feck all difference.

Unless your garage gets to serious minus figures, don't worry. Fuel won't go off after a couple of month, the earth won't spin off axis or any of the other bollox you hear.

If I throw old sheet over my Aprilia, oximiser on, tyres up and come March it starts fine, a Triumph will have no problem :p

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Cap City Murph

Cap City Murph Active Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Carson city nv.
    Someone talk to me about gel battery s worth it or no?

18. Rocket

Rocket Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2018
    Connecticut
    gel batteries are the shit last at least another season ...life of the bike in most cases, as for charging just a trickle charge is all they need.

19. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    #19 Sprinter, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019

Keep asking, I'm sitting at my work payed treble time.
    I start it, once after two weeks if not run, keep the tyres off the ground or move the bike a little, keep the battery at home and charge at least every second week.Best of all is try and ride at least once a fortnight even if just for ten miles.

20. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    My take? Much as Mr O.

If the bike is on a centre stand just cut a billet of timber a whisker longer than the distance from fork leg to ground to hoist the front wheel without significant loading of the rear. Connect smart charger et voila...!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1