Why Do You Ride?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Hobnail, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Wire-Wheels,
    I know just how you feel, having been back to biking for nearly 2 years after 25+ years away....Rusty is not strong enough, corrosion is nearer! But I’m getting there.
    Cheers,Ken.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Biker Jock

Biker Jock Senior Member

Nov 16, 2014
    #82 Biker Jock, Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    After a few years back to biking, and quite often feeling slightly frustrated after a run that I wasn't getting the best out of my bike, I went for advanced training. It transformed my enjoyment of riding. I'd recommend it - it shortcuts the de-rusting process.

The crunch moment was when I was out on my Aprilia litre V twin, on my favourite road, and passed by a Harley Sportster and I couldn't keep up. I knew I had to get someone to show me how to do it properly.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Biker Jock,
    I might look into that, sure we have a police run scheme near me.
    Cheers, Ken.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I was doing pretty good until about 2 years ago. I started to have some wierd medical sympoms. It got bad enough that I pretty much stopped doing much of anything. A doctor.discovered my thyroid had almost failed completely. Got some of that on the mend now. I am back to functioning in the last year or so. I had to park 2 of my bikes because I could not keep up the maintenance on them. Hope to have them all three in good working order by spring. Today I am putting brakes on my truck. I move at about 25% speed right now. Give up and you die ! …J.D.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kenbro

Kenbro Noble Member

Jul 9, 2019
    Manchester, UK
    Wire-Wheels,
    I sympathise with you and the Thyroid. Had the Same issue myself about 15 years ago, made me lethargic and couldn’t be bothered doing things I shoulda been doing.
    Been taking Levothyroxine since and (Disregarding all other ailments) everything is good. :)
    Cheers,Ken.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #86 Wire-Wheels, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Yeh Kenbro. I'm taking the same.thing. Mine got so bad my digestion shut down completely. My blood pressure was all over the map. My weight started shooting up. My brain was a total fog. It could not finish a complete thought without my brain jumping on to 2 or 3 other ideas. I mention this because if someone has this problem, I would hate to see them go on that way. Get tested. One pill a day vastly improved all of those things. After almost a.year I am slowly getting back to normal. Sorry, did not mean to change the subject so much. :) …J.D.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Cabe

Cabe Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Scotland
    Not ride a bike? Does not compute.
    I was t-boned by a car and finally escaped hospital - friends and family asking if I was ever going to sit on a bike again I told them "as soon as I can fit in my leathers, I'm back".
    I'd avoid Aberdeen, if you can. Never had a problem in decades of playing on the Périphérique and roundabouts of Paris, Autobahn, foot-deep snow in Scandinavia etc. Nice crunchy RTA and two taps in Aberdeen in the first few years, run off the road a few times...

It took me more than a decade to get a car licence, and I only use it when I drive mates back from the pub (I don't mind not drinking when we go out). It made sense to get the licence, it would kill me to be trapped in a box more than I need to. (Eight "happy" mates do not fit on the bike, the dog is not a good candidate for a pillion and lovely to take on long walks elsewhere, the cat would kill me (and occasionally needs a vet further away than I can walk)).

Warm sun, crisp air, too early for stupid traffic, the road is mine.
    "Getting" the twisties, sharp focus, bike a familiar extension of self, brilliantly and clearly alive for every single sweet second.
    Middle of nowhere, no-one else for miles, quiet ticking of the engine cooling, stunning views, birds chirping, raptor circling.

If/when it finally kills me, I will have been happy leading up the the last bit. There are definitely worse ways to go and worse things for the next-of-kin to think about.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #88 Wire-Wheels, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    I have certainly given this idea some thought. I am 74, but I plan to ride at least a few more years. Been riding for decades, but I never had any training of any kind. Back in the old days if you had a motor vehicle license you automatically were allowed to ride anything you wanted. "Training" meant go play in traffic. If you survive, I guess you know how to ride. :D ...J.D.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    #89 Wire-Wheels, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    I have certainly given this idea some thought. I am 74, but I plan to ride at least a few more years. Been riding for decades, but I never had any training of any kind. Back in the old days if you had a motor vehicle license you automatically were allowed to ride anything you wanted. "Training" meant go play in traffic. If you survive, I guess you know how to ride. :D It was not until 1975 that a motorcycle endorsement was added in the state of California. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Michael O

Michael O Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Cardiff
    Most of the above and every journey is different.
    #nevergetsboring

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Gazwhitespeed

Gazwhitespeed Senior Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    It is nice to hear that people on here who are older than me still have so much enthusiasm for riding,i have been so fed up of riding around on my own for the last 20 odd years the only thing that keeps me riding is 2 weekly biking tours this year,one with a friend[otherwise i wouldn't go] and the other with you lot so i will be with fellow bikers all week,then its travelling to ALL the BSB rounds but if ducati dominate again i won't be going to them so i think after this year i will be calling it a day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Michael O

Michael O Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Cardiff
    A change of bike should could do it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Unfortunately michael,just gone down to 1 bike that does it all,all year round and it is very good but still not enough,what i need is somebody to ride with regularly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Baldrick174

Baldrick174 Active Member

Sep 22, 2019
    Boscastle, Cornwall
    Because it cost money to get the licence, I have 9 bikes so need to keep them 100% healthy and I just looooooooove the freedom.
    I think that covers it for me :joy::joy::joy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wire-Wheels

Wire-Wheels Elite Member

Apr 26, 2019
    California - USA
    I only have 3. It allows me a change of pace, and allows for something to be down for repairs. I think anymore than 3 for me would become a burden to properly maintain. ...J.D.

• Like Like x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Get yourself to some rallies mate :)
    You’re never alone :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gazwhitespeed

Jul 30, 2015
    Northampton
    Dilli,I'd love to mate and used to go to all the big rallies,but the last 6 months iv'e been having real trouble sleeping in my own bed,so no camping for me anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Also have to take Levothyroxine daily myself along with a cocktail of other meds.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I'm certain (well, 99%) that @dilligaf will beat me to a Rocket 3, @joe mc donald ! :grinning: I was quite interested but emptied my wallet on the Mustang. Besides, if I came home with a Rocket one of my other bikes would have to go and I love each of them. I will have to get my Rocket 3 kicks vicariously through dilli. I'm quite sure we'll get to hear lots about it and see lots of photos when he FINALLY gets it! ;):joy:

• Like Like x 2
  20. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

The count down begins :)

19days until ROCKET 3R day :cool:

• Like Like x 5