Why Do You Ride?

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Hobnail, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hobnail

Hobnail Senior Member

Jan 4, 2020
    USA
    Why do you ride motorcycles?

I have been asked this from time to time and recently a fellow who never rode both asked and answered his own question. The answer was a bit odd. “I guess it would be nice with the wind in your face” This seemed to invoke a “Easy Rider” fantasy, however the actual film was anything but “easy”. His friend joined in with the almost “stock” story about a friend or relative who crashed and died, always tragic and much too young. I didn’t bother to mention most of my EMS motorcycle MVC’s had the biker blowing 3.2beer and generally a solo crash. So it goes.

So jumping off from here, I ask myself “Why do you Ride?”

Motorcycling is an inherently dangerous sport.

Speeding down the road at a healthy 60 mph opens my mind to the possibilities of death and the extremely fragile aspect of life.

Fear is contained with good judgement and constant vigilance. Daydreaming on a bike is impossible. My connection to the world and everything in it is direct and immediate. Cold, warm, wet, dry all come and surround me with their emotions. I am constantly adjusting, counter-steering, scanning the road and everything around it. In a word: Living. I can witness sunrises with the dampness of the morning dew, smell the breakfast food at the corner café, and feel the heaviness of weather, all on a ride to work. I can endure cold days with the wind like nettles piercing my jacket and skin, arrive at my destination to greatly relish a coffee. Drink in the richness of evening, while motoring across town, plunging though pools of heat and cool. Jet out of traffic with the twist of the wrist. It’s all for you to decide. Living, breathing, experiencing. That is why I ride.

IMG_5757.JPG

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 12
    • Love You Love You x 2
  2. Old phart phred

Old phart phred Noble Member

Jun 23, 2019
    Ks
    #2 Old phart phred, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    What you said hobnail + I always ride alone on the bike, no pillion, and the rear footpegs are gone. Been flirting with motorcycle disaster for 50 years and have never been admitted to a emergency room, or hospital for any reason. Yeah I have broken a couple of bones, and should have got stiches several times, but not riding related. Hobble into a clinic the next day or two to get fixed up. An adrenaline junky who often rides with a passion for speed, conditions permitting.

15790582371182027421455.jpg

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Biking for me is emotional. It’s a way to turn back the years. I feel the same riding as I did when I first started riding all those centuries ago ;)
    Being part of this wonderful fraternity is special. When I did my Arctic trip last year I met and chatted to so many people, bikers, this would not have happened had i taken the car.
    Riding to communist East Germany back in the 1980’s aboard my Suzuki GS550E was another amazing trip evoking so many memories and experiences. Basically the car is for going to the supermarket on a cold wet day and the bike is for experiencing and enjoying life.
    So, yeah, that’s why I ride, and will keep doing so.

• Like Like x 12
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    No sentiments here, I just love it, maybe to get away from the wife.....a little!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  5. Barryscott

Barryscott Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Tupelo, Ms, USA
    to stay sane

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2015
    Barnsley
    I ride because I love bikes, always have, always will. I don’t remember when I first saw a motorcycle but I distinctly remember being on holiday with mum and dad at the seaside aged about 9 and I clapped eyes on what must have been one of the first CB 750 Hondas in the country. I just stared open mouthed at it and when I turned round they had gone and left me gawping at this beautiful machine.
    After that I was lucky enough to have mates whose dads and uncles donated old C90’s and the like for us to rag to bits and ride in the woods near home. I got on the road with £50 borrowed from my mum (and paid it back) with a Suzuki AP 50 in 1976 and have been riding ever since.
    There is also this reason why I ride too.
    https://slipstreamer.com/health-benefits-motorcycling/

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gladtobebackontwowheels

Nov 23, 2019
    Dover. UK
    A few reasons: Firstly, it's escapism - you can't be thinking about anything else when on the bike so it clears the mind of all the rest of life's shite!
    Then there's the mechanical aspect of it - I still find motorcycles fucking amazing things that you become part of, much more so than driving a car. When you're taking a big sweeping bend at ???mph with your knee skimming the road and the engine screaming at 12,000rpm it's such a buzz! (Mind you, that was in my NC30 days, much more sensible now on the Daytona). Then, lastly - It's COOL !! :laughing::laughing:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 5
  8. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    • Like Like x 16
  9. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    With riding a bike every day is different. One day it'll be pitting my insignificant riding skills against a long deserted twisty country road, then next it'll be a bimble in beautiful sunshine with blue skies overhead riding through countryside so beautiful it's like riding through God's back garden. Another day I'll be out with friends and it's the camaraderie of riding and shared experiences.

And so it goes on.................

It's in me genes govn'r...............

Dave

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I ride for enjoyment and have found that when life or workload gets you down a simple bimble about on the bike and a stop here and there to take in the scenery is better than any medication.
    besides it must be one of very few aspects of freedom left to mere mortals, "Ride to Live"

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
  11. Repooh

Repooh Rarely Satisfied

Jan 5, 2018
    Stabby Town
    #11 Repooh, Jan 15, 2020
    I've only been riding two years, prior to then I was anti-bike, mainly due to being a pillion on a mates Kwacki 750 when I was 18, he frightened the bejesus out of me.

In 2017 life took a few wonky turns and I got to thinking I need some excitement in my life, now hookers are fun but in my case thats 3.5 minutes of fun. I also got to thinking if I get killed so be it (pathetic I know)

Enter Edna my little Street Twin, I'm truly obsessed with riding, buying unnecessary crap, blogs, videos the lot. What do I get out of it is contentment, riding scares the brown stuff out of me, which is good, as others have said when riding I'm entirely focused, no bullshit emails, no dickhead boss, no news of the latest murder, it's pure escapism. I wont listen to music, just ride, albeit in fair weather as I'm also a sissy.

Looking forward to the GMU, and getting to meet some of you deviant, alcohol obsessed, sexist perverts

• Like Like x 17
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  12. stevie28

stevie28 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2019
    Cambridgeshire
    An old m8 of mine had a great sentence on the back of his lid.

"if you need to ask, you won't understand"

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 6
  13. JerryBB

JerryBB Noble Member

Oct 6, 2019
    Wales
    #13 JerryBB, Jan 15, 2020
    Sounds nasty mate.

March 3rd will the 40th anniversary of my big smash, aged 18. I was pillion on a mates bike, mine had a puncture, he went to overtake a queue of cars, the end one, a capri, turned right in front of us, I snapped my femur, shattered my hip, broke four ribs and my shoulder blade and smashed the helmet to bits. In hospital for a month in traction, back riding two months later.

why do I ride, stupid I guess, but it sure is fun

• Like Like x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. mpllineman

mpllineman First Class Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Very eloquent. I don't think I would add anything!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  15. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    Looking forward to meeting you as well Repooh.
    Dave

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Vulpes

Vulpes Confused Member

Mar 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    #16 Vulpes, Jan 15, 2020
    I have been riding for fourty odd years, had my bike license before I got the one for the car. I just love it.
    Have been to France a couple of times, Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany. Up along the border between Thailand and Myanmar. Many times to Scotland and the Lake district. It's just like many have said already - empty your head and enjoy. Sometimes shitscary fast, sometimes just bimble about looking at the scenery.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  17. Fourbears

Fourbears Noble Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Norfolk
    Why do I ride? Why not!!!??

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Hobnail I often find myself daydreaming on a ride , especially if on a really long one , you can on WA roads , often quiet , and often few corners .
    I started riding because my Father said "don't ask for financial help in getting a car" this was the morning I left home at 16 and nine months , to join the Army . So 18 months later I rode a Suzuki GSX 750 from Brisbane in QLD to Geraldton in WA . A distance of around 4,500 klms.
    Been riding nearly 40 years and can blame me dad :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    #19 Sandi T, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    I love this thread! And it's one more reason I love motorcycles and riding--folks like all of you who love it too. The community and the connection.

There are so many reasons that I love to ride and many have been shared already on this thread. I just started riding nine years ago so am "making up for lost time" and I enjoy it more each day. Here and in no particular order--other than JOY which is at the heart of my love affair with motorcycles--are the reasons I love to ride.

JOY! This is the umbrella over all the other reasons. Pure joy. :blush:

FUN: There's really not much that brings a smile to my face quite like riding. :grinning: It is just so much fun!

ADVENTURE: I love to explore on motorcycles and I've been to places and on roads I'd never have seen if I weren't a rider.

CONNECTEDNESS TO NATURE: I love being out in nature on a bike with only my gear separating me from the elements. The smells, the sounds, the sights, and the feel of that around me is far different and make me feel much connected to nature and our planet than being in a car.

BEING IN THE MOMENT: When I'm riding, as many of you already said, I'm not mulling over yesterday or worrying about tomorrow. Riding is something that automatically makes me mindful and present in the moment more than any other thing I do other than scuba diving which seems to do the same thing for me. I don't have to "work at" being present and mindful while I'm riding. It just happens naturally.

FRIENDSHIPS/SOCIAL CONNECTIONS: I've made terrific friends through motorcycles and riding--people with whom I have a deep and special bond and who I'd never have met if we weren't riders. And like Nikki said, I've met so many interesting folks along the way, too, in restaurants, gas stations, at rallies.

ACCOMPLISHMENT: Before I began riding, I never in a million years thought it would be something I would or could do. When I started riding I was anxious and scared a fair amount of the time.Little by little that anxiety gave way to the joy and fun and adventure and connectedness I now feel. Motorcycling provides so many "firsts" when you're new. And it can continue to even when you've a few years under your belt! First ride in the rain, first night ride, first ride on the freeway, first time "doing the ton", first group ride, first overnighter, first big trip, first ride(s) on different or bigger bikes, first track day. The list goes on. I absolutely LOVE that there's always something new to learn and to experience when you ride a motorcycle.

THE MOTORCYCLES: I just love motorcycles. I could look at bikes all day long--just ask Mr. Sandi. I think they are fascinating, amazing machines and I never tire of talking about them, reading about them, looking at them, and (especially) riding them.

Oh, motorcycles and riding, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways. :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: Thanks for starting this awesome thread, Hobnail, and providing the opportunity to really think through why I so love motorcycles and riding. :kissing_heart:

• Like Like x 15
  20. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Growing up my Dad had a BSA Gold Flash and sidecar, we didn't get a car until I was probably in junior school. I used to dress in his boots and helmet, much too big obviously, and ride my bike. Loved it! Then the first time I rode something with an engine I was smitten. It's the whole thing about freedom, fresh air, power and just the absolute pleasure of being on the coolest form of transport there is. And to me the sexiest ladies were always the ones in biker jackets! :p

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3