Speedmaster Vibration After Tire Change

Discussion in 'America, Speedmaster & Rocket' started by BonnieRed, Sep 24, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    I recently had the Triumph dealership change both my tires as they had about17600 miles on them and wear marks were showing it was time. After the tire change I seem to have a vibration which is most evident in 4th gear at around 80kph to 85kph. It is a vibration that was not there before. When I pull clutch it goes away. Not sure what this is. If anyone has had this and has fixed it, could you let me know. Thanks S.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Check your chain, does it have a dry or tight spot ? Only thing that could be wrong after a tyre change with those symptoms , or lessening or goes away when clutch is used.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Bikerman, that is exactly what I "would" do but could not because I picked up my bike on a Saturday near closing and I was well on the road home ( 390km ) and did not notice it till later when I was riding in that Rpm range. I did phone them when I arrived home, they said they had no idea what it was but to bring it in. I can not bring it in this year anyway. Too close till the snow flies. So I was hoping others may have some knowledge of the possible cause and fix. Thanks S.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Thanks Capt, yes I am concentrating on the chain, loosening and tightening, under and over type of thing. So far, the vibration may have lessened a bit, but it is still there. every 2 seconds a pulse of vibration which I can feel on the tank with my knees.Weird I know but it was not there before. I have ordered a pro motion alignment tool just to be extra sure the chain is dead on. I just dont know if I need to take it in to a different dealer or just live with it. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    It is most likely to be alignment and adjustment combined , just out !! Easy to do if the tyre fitter just backed off a smidge and returned to same after re-install , he just missed it by that much "

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Yea, I took the bike in for the tire change on an appointment for 1pm and did not get the bike back till almost 4pm. I think it was close to 3 hours. I am thinking it may have been the last job of the day and yes, those kinds of mistakes can happen in a shop at the end of a long day. I will definitely recheck the links and the alignment over again. thanks, S.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    It might be worth getting the wheel balance checked.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Tight spot on chain maybe?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I have had exactly this problem several times, a 'thrumming' every second and a bit, when cruising at 50mph in 4th gear, but not 50mph in a different gear and not at any other speed. From my maths, vibration is happening at a rate less that once per wheel or chain revolution, so I was reassured it was some kind of resonance effect rather than any strictly mechanical problem.

I never did get to the bottom of things. It even persisted after changing chain and sprockets (which I did because they were worn, not to get rid of vibration). Only happens after rear wheel removal and goes away after a thousand miles or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi BrownMouse, Thanks for your input and it sure was great to hear a bit of good news about the problem going away after 1000 miles or so. I have about 400 miles on them so far so am now very curious if this annoying 1-2 second vibration will in fact go away. As you are aware, the vibration is so annoying it takes away from the zen of motorcycling for pleasure. In fact its all I can do to not focus on it. Fingers crossed. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieRed
    Yes it could be the balancing if rushed. And tyres are funny items each set has an preferred air pressure and don't work to well if under inflated especially. Had the same with my bonnie after fitting Avon's it was scary how the bike drifted so had the dealer pick it up. And it was the pressure they said don't look at the manual just use the pressures they had set and low and behold it rides fine now.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  12. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Hi Joe, Thanks. I will definitely be trying air pressures listed on the AVON site as opposed to the Triumph manual and see how that affects the problem vibration issue. All these are great ideas! I really appreciate the advice on this forum. You guys are great!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    BonnieRed
    Sure thing. That's what its all about if we can help you today then tomorrow you can pass it on to someone else. And i have to agree with you there are some great nutters here in this asylum.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BonnieRed

BonnieRed Member

Sep 10, 2019
    British Columbia
    Joe, I just looked at the AVON fitment tyre guide and it lists my Cobra Chromes at 42 psi rear, and 32 psi front. Manual says rear should be 36psi and front 33psi.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I completely agree with that. On an open road there is the option of changing up to 5th gear, but you only remember to do that once have vibes kicked in and it's irritated you. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    So, I've just been riding on a new tyre and have the vibration again, around 52mph in 4th gear. Not as bad as it has been on some occasions, but distinctly noticeable. Guess this is just a feature of the Speedmaster with new rear tyres...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia
    Tyre pressure ! Bike manufacturer or Tyre manufacturer ! They are A Guide Only !! They base their recommendations on weight of bike plus AVERAGE rider ! When did you last meet an average Rider lol !

Then there is the variable types of road surface and how well it was made/maintained ! Plus how you ride ! Everyone's body english is different ( how you guide/manage your bike).

Me I suck it and see ! Plus 5 or 6 psi of recommended or minus 2 to 4 psi has always worked out as a starting point , if it's unsettled/unsettling try a different pressure ! Always reset at cold/start of the day !!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. brown mouse

brown mouse Elite Member

Sep 15, 2018
    East Midlands, UK
    I do, so any new tyre is exactly the same pressure as the one I replaced.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    The only time I have had a similar problem is when I fitted my own tyres and never balanced them, just referencing the dot on the tyre wall in relation to the valve. I ended up buying a static balancer and haven't had the problem since. I always have tyres for the ZZR fitted and balanced at the tyre shop without problems.
    I run the dirt bike tyres at varying pressures and it never affects balance or causes vibes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fork Lock

Fork Lock Elite Member

Feb 5, 2021
    South Jersey, The 51st State
    Dunno if this could be it, but TWICE I had dealer macs install tires backwards. There is a forward rotation arrow on most tires. Sometimes the way the tread looks, it's counterintuitive and they install the tire in the wrong direction. The first time I felt it on the way home. It just felt squirrely. I took it back and they reversed the tires after I pointed out the error. The kid couldn't believe it. He said he never knew! The second time, having been burned once, I checked before I left the dealership and caught it there. The directional arrow is easy to miss, but it's likely there.

Tire.PNG

• Useful Useful x 2