Two Questions Please Based On . . .

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Traveler, Nov 3, 2023.

1. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    . . . the wealth of knowledge & experience on this board.

1. Auto chain oilers & the preferred units.

2. The Triumph Beeline GPS unit. Worth the fare in your opinion?

Tks, Traveler

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Marco Wikstrom

Sep 28, 2023
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    #2 Marco Wikstrom, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    I have the Gidibii Nemo 2 and it seems to work fine. Not automatic, but very easy to use - simple 1/4-twist of the top at each fuel stop and it slowly drips oil on the chain.

Haven't had it very long, but it gets good reviews. To keep it simple and tidy I routed the tube through a small drilled hole in the plastic cover over the front sprocket and it drips on top of it. I'm sure people will chime in and say the oil will fling off if applied to the outside of the chain, but it doesn't. The entire chain gets lubed - capillary action I suppose. I use gear oil, which is what they recommend.

Pretty good quality, made of machined aluminum, mounted mine on the handlebar. They cost around $30 or less, and don't require any electrical or vacuum connections.

Don't know about the GPS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boothman

Boothman Senior Member

Jul 26, 2023
    Wigan
    #3 Boothman, Nov 3, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2023
    Scottoiler everytime - nothing fancy just a standard V System but with the dual injector/scorpion dispenser. Fitted one to the tiger recently (see What you been doing with your TRIUMPH today??).
    Got the Sport V System version (just a smaller reservoir) on my fireblade. This was transplanted from my previous fireblade and I had one on my Daytona 650 before that.
    Don’t know about the GPS sorry :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Scottoilers have been around for decades and are well proven but overpriced IMO. Oilers are not exactly high tech engineering. I made one for just a few £ with a miniature 12v solenoid valve, a switch, small oil reservoir and a bit of wiring and windscreen washer tubing. Wether you buy a kit or fab one up yourself they have to be one of the most useful accessories for any bike IMO, shaft drives not included.:p
    Can't help with bike specific sat naff I'm afraid.

5. RevPaul

RevPaul Senior Member

Apr 21, 2020
    Cheshire, UK
    #5 RevPaul, Nov 4, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
    Can't speak to the automatic oilers but I do have a Triumph branded Beeline. It's basically the metal Beeline with the Triumph logo on it. I found one for the price of a plastic Beeline, so for me that made it worth it. It works very differently from a normal satnav, but now I've got used to it I quite like it.

When I got my bike, I knew I'd need some satnav assistance for some journeys but didn't want to go to the expense of a satnav. So I bought an Ultimate Addons 1" ball mount, fitted it in place of the top left handlebar clamp bolt and combined it with an Ultimate Addons phone case. The phone pairs with my SHOEI Senna helmet and I get this magic voice in my head telling me how to get to where I want to go, backed up with a moving map on my phone's display on the handlebars.

So why did I go with the Beeline? I bought a Bell Bullitt helmet (which doesn't have built in coms) for some summer rides, I was attracted by the Beeline's apparent simplicity, the price was right and by adding the Beeline ball mount adaptor, I could use the ball mount that I'd already fitted to the handlebars.

I really like the Beeline, it uses very similar symbols to the code I'd developed in the pre-satnav days, when you studied a map, wrote out directions and put them in the window pocket of your tank bag (I still do that sometimes, paper and pen being the most reliable tech;).)

So, you just download the Beeline app to your phone, open it and use the map and the search function to tell it where you want to go.

You have the option of fast (using mostly main roads) or fun (using smaller twistier roads) for the route planning. Options also include telling it to avoid tolls and motorways (I think you call them highways in the States).

If you want, you can build up a sequence of way-points to travel a specific route, but be careful with that, because if you don't put the way-point right where you'll ride the bike, the app will start trying to get you back to that way-point, whether you wanted to stop there or not.

Another option is an "as the crow flies" mode, you tell it where you want to end and the arrow points to where the destination is and tells you how far away it is. You just head in that direction (as much as the roads allow) and eventually you'll get there. I've not tried that mode yet. It could be useful if you're exploring off road, but I doubt you'll be doing much of that with your lovely T120.

Once you've planned your route, pair the phone with the Beeline, tell it you want to start the journey and an arrow will point where you should go, while in the centre of the display it will tell you how far away the next turn is, what type of junction it will be and which way you should turn. Simples.

Once you've got used to programming it and not adding too many waypoints, it's really simple to use. If I'm off exploring, I'll just tell it to take me to my first coffee or food break, then while I'm taking a break I'll programme the next destination and so on.

Check the Beeline website, there's plenty of helpful YouTube videos on the site.

Faults? On rare occasions it has got stuck in recalculating mode, if I lost the satnav/phone signal or ignored its directions one too many times because "I knew better" or was curious. Then you have to stop and restart/reprogram the route on your phone:mad:.

But that seems to have improved recently which may be down to another annoyance (software updates). You pre-plan a route, you go to the bike, you fit and turn on the Beeline, it pairs with your phone and then insists on updating it's software:mad:. So don't be in a hurry to leave just in case.

Another bonus is it uses a lot less phone battery and once you've started the app you can keep your phone warm and dry inside your jacket pocket, where there's a lot less vibration to damage the phone:).

My iPhone SE 2023 battery (running apple maps for the route and talking to me through the Senna app in my helmet) won't last longer than about 2-3 hours without flattening the battery:(. Whereas the phone battery lasts for a whole day's riding at least, and the Beeline could probably do a couple of days riding on a full charge :cool:.

So its horses for courses, but I really like the Beeline for its simplicity, intuitiveness and convenience. I can quickly attach it to the bike and it's so small it just drops in my pocket when I get to where I'm going.

Hope that helps and hasn't confused you.

Enjoy the ride:).

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Geoff Butler

Geoff Butler Never too old for Biking!

Apr 5, 2021
    Hampshire & Powys
    I have never used an automatic oiler and prefer sticky chain wax from a can. A few of my mates with tourers swear by the Scottoiler though. :)

I did buy a Beeline a couple of years back but I never got used to the simple directions so it now lives in a box unused. I always fall back on old faithful, which is a Quadlock handlebar mount on each of my bikes + Google Maps on my phone.

7. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    I won a Beeline (the plastic one, not Triumph branded) and have to agree with @RevPaul in all that he says about them. I like it and a huge bonus for me is how unobtrusive it is on the bike. A huge part of riding for me is that I don't need to look at / think about my phone etc and I don't have comms so the Beeline fits the bill nicely. I just have mine mounted using the flat attachment fitted to the bars with the little elastic bands and it's pretty good just like that. PXL_20220430_113358990.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  8. blacktiger

blacktiger Member

May 14, 2023
    St. Leonards on sea
    I think you bought the chinese knock off of the design. The real product is a Cobra Nemo2 (made in Slovakia) which I bought because I'm fed up with the chinese copying things and selling them cheaper.
    It is a good design IMHO which doesn't need much interferance with the bike. I fitted one to my Scrambler1200 because I couldn't see a fitment for a Scottoiler. You just need to work out the routing of the little feed tube from the handlebars to the rear swingarm and then figure out how/where to point it at the rear sprocket.
    I have a Scottoiler on my Tiger800 and it's been good for loads of years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Traveler

Traveler Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2023
    Helena, Sweet Home Alabama
    Thank you all for your thoughts!

• Like Like x 1