Featured Triumph Trophy based bratstyle

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Angry Sky, Sep 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. stollydriver

stollydriver Elite Member

Apr 25, 2015
    north wales
    If you didn't know - you'd be hard pressed to realise how it started out. Well done fella..

2. odinz

odinz Flightless

May 7, 2017
    hull
    Hi bud where did your handle bar conversion come from again.Im not familiar with lsr ?

3. Clarkey231

Clarkey231 Noble Member

Jun 9, 2016
    Exeter
    Loving your build cos its basically what I want to do. I didn't actually know it was called 'Brat' style but it's what I'm after.

4. Chris Timmins

Chris Timmins Active Member

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Nice one, I'll keep an eye on your build

5. Angry Sky

Angry Sky Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    The handle bar risers were off eBay, used items. They look like lsr ones but I'm not sure.
    I tried to start the bike today using an aux fuel tank and it started first time - result! Unfortunately the start switch fell apart and the neutral switch konked. I got some switchgear from a 2000 Sprint ST and it works fine with the same connections. The engine sounds good but I connected the fuel line only. I blanked off the prime and vac line which I hope is correct. Anyone who has any knowledge of this let me know, I will listen to anyone's advice!
    I need to fit the brakes and clutch levers next and get them functional.

6. Henry Willis

Henry Willis New Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Germany
    Really interesting, angry sky, nice job. I'm in the early stages of doing something similar to a 1200 Trophy - I've got a Commando interstate tank and am probably going to mod a Laverda Jota II fairing to fit.
    Any chance of a full side on shot so I can see properly how the tank sits?

7. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Hi, I have not posted for a while but the build is still ongoing. Now the riding season is over (for some of us anyway), I can now get back to the Trophy. Posted a few pics below as we all like a picture to look at. I know it wont be to everyone's taste but I have done it for myself to ride.

Jobs for the winter now its up and running:
    Fit K&N's and get it set up on the dyno
    Source and fit digital dash as the clocks look crap
    Remove tyres, powder coat wheels and engine covers at same time
    Fit Continental Twinduro tyres
    Fit final drive chain
    Fit bar end indicators

I would like a nice alloy fork brace but cannot seem to find one, bit more searching required.
    Anyway here are the pics

Trophy 4.jpg

Trophy 3.jpg

Trophy 2.jpg

Trophy 1.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  8. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looking good mate :cool:

9. Tucker 1963

Tucker 1963 Elite Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Newmarket
    Wow what a great job you have done so far she is looking good.
    Tucker

10. StrippleMont

StrippleMont Senior Member

Nov 5, 2016
    Round your way!
    That looks VERY nice!

11. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hi
    Great job on the bike, i bet it moves now with all that weight taken off. Have you thought/tried fitting pod filter's to change the look. I've used them on mine with some bigger main jets, lifting the needle and opening up the tickover jets. Runs very smoothly with some extra grunt
    Cheers
    Chris

IMG_4531.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    What a great write up and super pictures following this closely, well done and its looking great so much different than it started out, :cool::cool:
    PS
    Think Chris's above idea of pod filters would look very good

13. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I will be fitting pod filters but wanted to get it running with the airbox first and convert to pods afterwards. I have heard horror stories changing Mikuni's to pods so preferred to get it on a Dyno to set up properly. Going to rebuild the fuel tap before filling the tank as I'm not confident it will work. Also thinking of white wheels or maybe off white, any opinions gratefully received.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    Hi
    The pods I fitted were from Hinckley spares, these have a deep coller so once on they don’t obstruct the opening slit on the top of the Mikuni carb to allow the needle jet to rise. The other changes to the carb, needle lift, increase main jet and open up the tick over jets are pretty straight forward. I do have the original exhaust system on so your setting may differ slightly and obviously balancing the carbs is key. I’d be really interested in the carb changes made to yours from the standard setting on the Dino
    Cheers
    Chris

15. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I think that would work, pick up the white stripes on the tank, Although I am very very sure someone will be along shortly telling you it has to stay all
    BLACK AS BLACK IS BEST :p:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

BLACK AS BLACK IS BEST :p:p[/QUOTE]
    Wise words my friend....wise words :)
    Couldn't have put it better myself :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Well I took the bike out for a run and it was a hoot. Couldn't get it to start till I noticed the throttle cable outer was caught up at the handlebar end, didn't realise this would stop the bike starting. I'm now at a crossroads. Get K&N pods and get local Dyno shop to try to set up or wait for set of Keihins to come along, fit them knowing that it will be easier to do. I assume I will need carb rubbers for these too. Any opinions?

18. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    #38 Chris Timmins, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Hi Sky

In order to insure the pods fitted securely, I used some ‘‘spunge based” double sided tape around the carb inlet before positioning the pod filters and securing. Just make sure your not obstructing the small slit across the top of the carb inlet body. This allows the diaphragm to move effectively as the throttle is opened. Open up the idle jets, (see my previous posts) to richen up the mixture to ensure smooth acceleration from low revs. Also increase the main jet size, (see my previous posts) to richen up the mixture as the carb is being opened up. I also lifted the needle to it max setting.

If your bike pulls well from closed throttle to fully open without any flat spots or hesitation, your setup won’t be far wrong. I would Dino test if your having trouble but if it pulls well till full throttle i’d Save your money. Balancing your carbs using some vacuumed gauges is key, I would invest in a set of these gauges before spending on Dino test, easy to use and fairly cheap.

Sorry if your well up on this already but it is useful discussion for other members

All the best

Chris

53D7797A-4274-4AF2-94E9-351AC3B0D629.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Chris Timmins

Jun 7, 2017
    Birmingham UK
    I like the look of the bike, but the cloth battery case stands out too much for me. I would die it black so it fades into the bike, or even brown leather to match the seat. It’s easy for me to sit here and comment, your in the arena doing !!! Well done

20. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Ok I have decided to keep the Mikuni's, the pods on your bike look great so will order some from Sprint. I spoke to a local firm called Retrotune who are just a couple of miles from me and they are happy to set them up using their Dyno. I spent weeks trying to set up carbs on a 400 bandit and it's an experience I want to forget. Plus I want it on the road for the summer. I will try to find out the changes they have to make and publish it on here. It may help someone in the future. Thanks for the input always appreciated.

• Like Like x 1