Featured Triumph Trophy based bratstyle

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Angry Sky, Sep 20, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Angry Sky

Angry Sky Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Hi, yes another Hinckley triple build. I picked up a Trophy for a good price and found although its done 85000 miles it has had a huge amount spent on it. I have receipts for over 4 grand and its wanted for nothing. Recent WP rear shock, a full engine rebuild costing almost 2 grand recently. Suffice to say it runs beautifully. 20160825_105358.jpg
    This is what I started with.

I have built a couple of small café racers in the past and found them a bit uncomfortable with the riding position and hard seat so this time I fancied a Bratstyle with short seat and upswept exhausts.
    I'm really struggling to find a tank. I want a classic style like a Bonnie or Thunderbird but they are rare and even battered ones are fetching big money. I heard some horror stories of these Indian tanks on ebay, I think some are good, some bad. The early triumph tanks probably wont fit over the large diameter frame spine. I have seen some Hinckley tanks on T300's so I think I will have to be patient.
    I very much like the CRK kits and I have no doubt that they are superb quality but as i'm on a budget I have to get creative. What I have decided to do is ensure the subframe is cut in case I decide to go the CRK route in the future.

Anyway this is what the bike looks like now!

20160920_202044.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  2. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    good luck with your project :) keep the pics coming

3. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Good luck - keep us posted :)

4. Modalconfusion

Modalconfusion Active Member

Jul 28, 2016
    Stafford
    Hi Angry Sky, another Staffordshire person I see. Welcome , loving the pictures

5. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Well i had to tell of my good fortune, as I said I was unable to get a tank for my special so on the off chance and while I was working in the area, I popped into my local Triumph dealer. While chatting, I happened to mention that I was looking for a classic style tank. The guy said he would go and see if he had anything and a few minutes later came out with a Thruxton special edition tank, as soon as I saw it I knew I would be walking out with it. So a little haggling later I was the proud owner of an unused Thruxton tank for the price of £300 and a new Chrome fuel cap thrown in. Result!
    And here it is.
    20160920_195334.jpg

I also managed to obtain a set of Thruxton exhausts mint unused for the princely sum of £50. The bike is now with Made In Metal bike builders having the new subframe fabricated and exhaust mod to allow the new exhausts to be fitted to the original downpipes and not fowl the swingarm.

Before it went I couldn't resist a little mock up to get a flavour of the finished bike, when its back it will be dry build time before full strip down when the work can really begin. Hopefully it will be back about the time of the Stafford mechanics show in October.

20160920_175610.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  6. Volksrat

Volksrat Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Peterborough
    Looks great, I'm saving up for a triple to do a very similar build and was thinking of partly using the CRK stuff.
    The tank looks like it's a great fit was there any issues??

PS keep the photos coming...

7. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    I very much like the crk stuff myself and its a much easier project as all the parts are custom designed to fit the T300's. They do the tank and seat/subframe separately probably from customer demand. Unfortunately 1200 plus vat then the cost of paint on top would break my budget. I will probably buy the front mudguard from crk if i can as it looks great and better than butchering another mudguard to make it fit. The tank i have will stay the colour it is as i like it and was going to go black anyway. The cost for the tank seat and fabrication and powdercoat of the subframe will probably come in at around £800.
    To fit the tank all the original tank front fixings have to be removed. As do the three coil brackets. These will need re fixing further under the spine or some other place later. The tank will now fit snugly over the spine. If a new subframe is being fabricated then the new tanks' rear fxings can be used, then its just a question of welding a 20mm steel tube on top of the spine then re using the donor bikes tank rubbers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Well the Trophy is back from made in Metal sporting its new rear subframe. They did a great job and the whole subframe can be unbolted and removed. They also split and re- welded the downpipes so that the end cans clear the swingarm. Next job is to fabricate exhaust brackets as I don't think the zip tie look will catch on.
    20161002_113445.jpg
    DSC00971.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  9. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    looks horny. for me the bars spoil it tho

10. Volksrat

Feb 24, 2016
    Peterborough
    Nice, what's your idea for the battery location ?...

11. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Yes i totally agree. I have a handlebar conversion from LSR on the way and will fit flatish black handlebar with bar end indicators. I want a clean look so will cut a slot in the rear frame rail and fit one if these rear light/brakelight from germany
    http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=255-001-3

• Like Like x 1
  12. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Well i now have the plastic to try thermoforming 2 separate seat undertrays to house the electrics. I will use a lithium battery laid on its side under the seat. This means the battery tray will sit 30mm below the subframe tube lower edge. Just hope i don't make a mess of the oven or may be in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Volksrat

Feb 24, 2016
    Peterborough
    There a little bit nice !!...

14. Angry Sky

Sep 7, 2016
    Staffordshire
    Hi, I have not posted for ages but just wanted to show how far I got with the Trophy Brat. Things have been going well but have completed things when funds allow. If I had Jeremy Corbins money tree it would be on the road by now!
    Anyway there is around half a days work to get the bike running, then it's fitting the brakes.
    I fitted the original airbox for now as I wanted to see the effect that the loss of secondary airbox mixed with the Thruxton silencers would do. I will fit K&Ns then off to the dyno for set up.
    There is still lots to do. When the bike is MOT'd I will look to change the tyres and at the same time get the wheels and engine cases powder coated. Fingers crossed she runs.

Tri.jpg

Tri2.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looking good mate :cool:

16. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That looks fantastic and just about ready for the road !!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Mean looking bike :cool:

18. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Looks great!
    Credit to you that mate.