Triumph Tiger 1200 Xca Won't Start

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Joe8802, Sep 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    My issue is this, I have a 2018 Triumph Tiger 1200 XCA, the bike won't start, I haven't ridden it for a few days after a 250km ride I placed it in the garage and left it there.
    I returned to the bike and tried to start it, the bike tried to start then failed, the TFT display went off but the front and rear lights come on.
    I have changed the fob battery and charged the bike battery which now reads 12.1volts.
    The bike still refuses to start and the TFT screen does nothing, any ideas?

• Useful Useful x 2
  2. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    you need at least 12.6v to start, preferably 12.8v

12.1v is very low

I suggest charging the battery over night

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    Wow, ok, I didn't think a drop that slight would cause this issue. I will give it a go, thanks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    ...welcome to the forum by the way:)

I am sure you have seen, we are all a bit mad, but have a residential nurse to help us with our meds and keep is in check.
    Prepare for this thread to be derailed in about six posts :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    I charged the bike for a several hours today thinking it would assist, but the trickle charger became warm and the battery did not appear to increase in voltage.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    Lol, thanks, I will watch out for that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Not being impolite...there is a search function in the forum. I am sure if you search 'charging' or 'battery' or 'not starting' there are other threads where these symptoms have been identified, solutions found and generally a lot of help

So you know as a very rough indication of battery health and charging status:
    Ignition off - 12.8v
    Lights on, engine off - 12.6v
    Engine on at tickover - 13.2v to 13.8v
    Engine above 3,000rpm - up to 14.5v

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Eldon

Eldon Elite Member

Nov 14, 2018
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome,
    I left my ignition on in the garage at home (765 with tft dash) when distracted by my youngest. On my return the dash suddenly went out and the bike wouldn't start.
    It appears the dash is the first victim on low charge.
    If your battery won't charge then you've probably lost a cell and a replacement is the only option.
    A battery can fail at anytime and nothing out of the ordinary really.

12.1v is useless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

It’s the battery :confused:
    I like Jack Daniels :yum

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    I just tried something, bearing in mind that the TFT and engine management system are just a computer on a bike, I went out and disconnected the battery for 1 minute to allow the system to reset.
    The system did reset and the TFT display lit up, the bike went through it's normal process when starting and I was able to start the bike straight away.
    I have one small issue now, I have an engine warning light on the display that hasn't gone off..

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    I just tried something, bearing in mind that the TFT and engine management system are just a computer on a bike, I went out and disconnected the battery for 1 minute to allow the system to reset.
    The system did reset and the TFT display lit up, the bike went through it's normal process when starting and I was able to start the bike straight away.
    I have one small issue now, I have an engine warning light on the display that hasn't gone off.. any ideas?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Johnjo

Johnjo Senior Member

May 29, 2017
    Birmingham
    Hi Joe, the engine light should go out after 3 run outs on the bike. Or any 3 cycles that let the engine get up to temperature and then let it cool completely.

I like cake. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia

I didn't know, thanks:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    Thanks guys, hopefully problem solved:) I will use this site more often.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Joe8802
    Welcome to the family. Looks like your problem has been well and truly sorted. I don't know about the Tiger but there is a light on my Bonneville that flashes until the bike is in motion. It is every time on start. We will need a picture of the steed aswel.
    Ride Safe & Enjoy
    Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Modern bikes are more like computers, so a reset is worth doing (Turn it off then on again)
    The ECU (computer brains of the bike) realised the battery was disconnected and the warning is saying there was a disruption to the power. The bikes are programmed so after the bike has reached temperature and then cooled down three times the warning light should reset/go away

Very glad you got is started, either way, take the bike for a good run or put the battery on charge overnight. When it is in the bike, check the voltage at tick over and above 3,000rpm and let us know what voltage is going through it. just to ensure the charging system is good.

If you fully charge the battery and it loses it's charge quickly/overnight, then it is highly likely you now have a damaged cell and a replacement is needed. 12.1v is very low to go, you may have saved it, I truly hope you have, but be wary that if you go out, the charge may drop and leave you stranded if you turn the bike off....it may not start again!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    Will take it for a good run thanks everyone, I'll keep an eye on the voltage.

20190822_141601.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  18. Joe8802

Joe8802 New Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Australia
    It does get chilly sometimes but not so bad I'd need a heated vest, I've even disconnected the heated seats so it's easier when I take them on and off because I don't use them lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1