Featured Triumph Speed Twin Vs Bmw R9t Shoot-out

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Sep 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Which would you prefer in your garage?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2020.
  1. Speed Triple

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. R9T

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Speed Twin

53 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Sounds suspiciously like rugby, JtC.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    If I am not mistaken during that comparo one of the testers was hit by a Porsche Boxter while riding the Triumph. He was wearing an air bag vest. Saved his life. Now back on topic. I voted for the speed twin.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    Nah, that sounds like a forward pass..... ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Niko

Niko Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Cheshire
  5. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Smear the que*r was generally known as dodgeball where I grew up, usually 6-8 balls involved played every day. Snowball fights weather permitting..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stramasher

Stramasher Senior Member

Jun 10, 2020
    ex-0141
    R9t is a fantastic looking bike.

until u see it from the front or back. Then it’s like wtf is that about?

Why do they need a side stand?

Do agree the Speed Twin suspension is a bit erm, “iffy.”

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baben

Baben Active Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Watton
    Following it with the fascination usually reserved for really horrible plane crash videos - the ones with body parts strewn over the landscape.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. B with Speed

B with Speed Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    #28 B with Speed, Sep 21, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    I’ve owned both, and considering I traded my NineT for a Speed Twin, you can guess which one I prefer. I haven’t read this article yet, I wanted to point out my experience before reading what the reviewers say.

These bikes are very similar in power and handling. So close that without very precise instrumentation, I couldn’t tell you which is faster or handles sharper. So for me, that part is pretty much a draw.

I love that boxer twin motor. It is simply bullet proof, and the center of gravity is so low it inspired confidence from the first time I sat on the RNineT three years ago. The Triumph 1200 twin is also a fantastic powerplant, with lots of character and a beautiful sound. Nearly a draw here. They’re both great in their own unique way.

The deciding factor for me was that the Speed Twin’s riding position and stock suspension suit me far better than the BMW’s. I’m 5’10” and am pretty light, 165lbs, and the Triumph’s suspension seems to hit that sweet spot of being flickable while also being very comfortable to ride for several hours. Also the BMWs ride was just painfully harsh, especially the front forks. Even though the Speed’s aren’t adjustable, they still suit my particular weight and riding style better.

The BMW’s foot position is too far forward for my liking and doesn’t support aggressive riding. The Speed’s pegs are a little more forward than I’d like, but they’re much closer to being ideal for me.

Both stock seats leave a sore butt after several hours, so that’s a draw for me.
    A big complaint about the BMW for me was it was very difficult to find compatible bags that actually carry enough to travel. The single sided exhaust made luggage options very minimal. Eventually there will be more baggage options for the Speed Twin once it’s been in circulation for a while. I’ve already got a set of H&B bags on order.

The build quality of the BMW is superb. The Triumph is very close, but I’ve already got an oil leak in my first 1500 miles, so that’s definitely a strike against the Brit. We’ll see how the Triumph holds up over the next few years. Fingers crossed that the oil leak is just a fluke, and not an indication of more “fun” ahead.

In the end, I gave up my RNineT in favor of the Speed Twin and I’m happy I did it. It’s a beautiful, simple motorcycle that is a blast to ride, is comfortable, and does exactly what I want it to do.
    Which bike is “better”?? I couldn’t say definitively. The Speed Twin is simply the better one for me. :)

F5AB0A06-95FE-428B-8A54-930959C1A223.jpeg

6D95A7C1-4604-42FD-9331-74A9F214D757.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
    • Love You Love You x 1
  9. B with Speed

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Oh my god, that’s incredible! I noticed they listed “airbag” in the rider equipment for the Speed. I wish him the best for a full recovery

10. Lou160487

Lou160487 Senior Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Florida U.S.A
    He escaped with only bumps and bruise's. Lucky

• Like Like x 1
  11. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    And headshots count extra points. Haha

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. winrow3745

winrow3745 Member

Jun 16, 2018
    Cheshire
    I'd have a speed twin tomorrow if they came with cornering ABS.

Hopefully once the Speed twin RS is released.:)

13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    A triumph forum and the speed twin is winning the pole; who would have thought that :mad:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. B with Speed

Aug 17, 2020
    Denver Colorado
    Hahaha,I was thinking the same thing. I still have my NineT Forum account, Maybe should see what the numbers look like over there... ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I reckon we could predict that one . The speedy

• Funny Funny x 2