Featured Triumph Speed Twin Vs Bmw R9t Shoot-out

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Sandi T, Sep 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
?

Which would you prefer in your garage?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2020.
  1. Speed Triple

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. R9T

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Speed Twin

53 vote(s)
    66.3%
  1. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.16.31 PM.png
    I saw this article on Motorcycle.com and thought it would be a fun thread since we've got forum members who own Speed Twins and members who own R9T's--and perhaps a few members who own both?

So what do folks think about this particular comparison? Pros/cons? Likes/dislikes? I know there are a lot of opinions on this forum. ;):joy: So let's hear 'em! I've not ridden either model but have heard good things about each of them and do like the styling of both.

Here's a link to the article.

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/2020-bmw-r-ninet-vs-triumph-speed-twin

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.20.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.21.21 PM.png

• Like Like x 9
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    It's a no brainer, Triumph all day at its lower price for both Su n me. One of the most fun bikes we have ever had, ok the brakes squeak but then the exhaust makes a loud noise so no issues with that and a £320 pair of rear shocks sorted the vague handling issues.

bike.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  3. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I love the photo of your twin Twins, @darkman! I just added a poll so please add your vote. We here in the U.S. have voting on the brain these days so I thought a poll would be appropriate to the times. :joy::grinning: @Duckadiledundee, you can cast your vote for that machine-gun totin' BMW. ;) Though I can't quite picture where you'd mount the thing. :confused:

image.png

image.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Exercise your right to vote, Duck. "Use it or lose it". :joy::joy::joy:;)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Of course you'd figure it out, Duck. You and several others on here--I'm thinking @dilligaf would be one based on all his projects--though he might not quite go for the "machine gun" look.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Don't ducks get two votes? You know the old children's game, "Duck duck", gray duck?? Or maybe that would make it three votes?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Ummm, probably not.:joy: But that doesn't mean I don't still love ya, Duck. ;):heart:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  8. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I like the looks of both, DD. And of the styles offered for the R9T I'd say I gravitate to the R9T "Pure" model. But as I said, I've not ridden either so would be curious to get a test ride on each. :cool:

One of our riding buddies has an R9T and loves it. But a year ago from this past spring he rode it up to Phoenix for Arizona Bike Week and it beat the shite out of him. So it's definitely an around town bike from his perspective. In fact, he and his wife were considering going to Sturgis with us last year and he was thinking he'd rent or borrow a trailer for his bike and follow us in the car! Different bikes for different purposes for sure! Yeah, he could ride that bike across the country but, as Mr. Sandi says, "You could ride a lawn mower across the country but that doesn't mean it's a good idea". :joy:

image.png

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wattie

Wattie Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2020
    UK
    I don't want to appear daft, but you started a post about the BMW vs Speed twin, but put a poll on between a BMW and a Speed triple? It's gained an extra pot... ;)
    Personally I'm not taken by either but if someone was to give me one I'd take the Triumph, no the BMW, Triumph, BMW.... I just dunno.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Well, holy moly, I guess I got up on the wrong side of the bed today. That's the second faux pas today in a post or thread that I've made. Must be a Freudian slip as I own a Speed Triple. ;):joy: Thanks, @Wattie. Sheesh..... Anyway, I tried to delete the Speed Triple but I guess once the voting has started, a choice is there to stay. But I did at least try to make amends for the error of my ways by adding the Speed TWIN! :cool:

• Like Like x 5
  11. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    So clearly the Speed Twin is the winner with twice as many votes as the other twin as i see it :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Edit: Note to self.......

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 12.42.59 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    I don't know if you follow American politics at all, darkman, but I'm just waiting for someone to accuse me of rigging the election. ;):blush:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    No Sandi, not even UK politics as i have far more urgent/fun things to do at 64 years old :)

• Like Like x 5
  15. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    What a wise man you are, darkman. :grinning: Actually, I find myself paying less and less attention to politics myself. I don't like feeling pis•sed off all the time! And when I feel the urge to watch just a bit of the news, it's always with a cocktail in hand. ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    I've never ridden either and I like the looks of them both with the edge going to the Triumph because the motor looks better.

• Like Like x 4
  17. MyEvilTwin

MyEvilTwin Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2020
    Sugartown Cabaret
    Speed Twin looks best in jet black imo - so @darkman for the win. However, I do have a thing for the R9T Racer.....mmmmm!

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Children in NZ play Duck, Duck, Goose. Probably same chasing game :blush:
    Grew up worshiping the Thunderbird 900 triple, but really like the bid twins now.:cool:
    Speedtriples are cool for sports bikes :p

• Like Like x 5
  19. Sandi T

Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.16.47 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. JtC

JtC Elite Member

Apr 20, 2020
    New Mexico
    We called that smear the que*r -we'd throw a football up in the air, someone would catch it, and the rest of us would try to break his frikkin neck as he ran away from us for as long as he could. Good times. It was worse on the poor spineless kid who would never take a turn with the ball -he was the last to be smeared -and the worst.