Featured Triumph Newb Buying Advice Please

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Robert Summerfield, Feb 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. OsteKuste

OsteKuste Intergalactic Warlord
    Subscriber

Oct 22, 2017
    Tennessee, United States
    Don’t know much about the Triple, but welcome to the nut house!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Robert Summerfield

Robert Summerfield Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2021
    Somewhere on planet earth
    I strangely feel right at home :laughing:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Robert Summerfield
    Welcome to the family. Boy you don't want to be at home here in the asylum all the inmates will keep you here. But do keep us updated and if you do buy the steed then when you stop playing and grinning do hit the upload a file button bottom right corner and let the inmates see the steed.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    "somewhere less specific".....I'll say! ;):joy: Welcome to the forum, Robert. Good luck with our search for that perfect (for you) Street Triple!

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 9.30.10 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    After reading @Adie P advice on common faults and scheduled maintenance on the ST I contacted the seller. The bike has done 12k but has not had the valve shims checked (£?). The seller told me that the bike has cut out on him in the past which leads me to think the reg/rec is to blame so will need replacement, I've watched a Youtube clip on changing the reg/rec (£100'ish?) which if at fault frys the alternator/stator (£100'ish?) so that will also likely need to be changed. Lastly the suspension linkage bearing has not been serviced or replaced, it may be ok but to get to the reg/rec you have to drop the arm so it makes sense to me to replace that bearing at the same time (£?).
    This lot looks like it's going to tally to a tidy little sum, if I did get all of the above done would I have a good bike, what do you think guys is it worth it or should I walk away from the bike?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    First off, let me say that none of what you say would deter me completely from considering a purchase of the bike ..... with two caveats. 1 - the price may need to be adjusted down; 2 - you're prepared to do some of the remedial work.

I'm surprised it had a 12k service costing £400 without the clearances being checked - that's intriguing and disappointing. It's not exactly a 'do it by 12k or it'll die!' situation but the schedule is there for a reason. It does need to be done. It's most likely that, depending on how hard it's been ridden/treated, it will need minimal or no changes to the shims but that's never a given and shouldn't be taken for granted. Cost? I'm guessing it will be somewhere close to the 12k service cost of £400 'ish .... maybe less the cost of the oil & filter elements of a 12k service?

The reg/rec and stator costs you suggest are probably a little bit on the low side - you'll be wanting to get decent replacements, there is a lot of cheap stuff out there that should be avoided. I might be able toadvise on that later.

The linkage bearings are non-caged needle rollers and are not very well greased from the factory. They just need to have the grease packed before going back in - you're unlikely to need (though are free to buy) replacements.

To answer your last question "is it worth it or should I walk away" .... well, only you can answer that. In my humble opinion, you're likely to pay considerably more than £3k for a bike with this low mileage and, though you're not going to get a reduction of the likely cost of the required remedial work, you should be able to negotiate some (hundreds?) off this asking price. The only thing I would say is - fix a figure in your mind and be prepared to walk if the seller doesn't meet it. There is almost always another one out there that will be just as good - it'll just take more effort to find it. Oh, and, if it's Roulette Green .... buy it anyway. :D JUST KIDDING - but it is my favourite ST colour. Other than the Imperial Purple. And the Strontium Yellow. And my Tornado Red ..................

• Like Like x 2
  8. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

Hello and welcome to the forum Robert.

gump (1).gif

• Like Like x 3
  9. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks again for your advice @Adie P I'll get a quote for the shim check. I'm happy to get my hands dirty doing some of the less complicated work myself, the reg/rec and stator replacement look like a job I could manage, I'd better add a decent torque wrench to the shopping bill. If you could point me to a reg/rec and stator product page that would be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I'll send you a PM. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Hi Robert :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Welcome to the forum Robert.
    Not read all the posts but picked up the comments about valves not checked at 12000 miles. I got my 2014 Speed Triple from a dealer with about 13500 on the clock, stamped as had the 12k service done by them.
    I had my doubts it had been but the bike ran sweet, no issues. At about 15k I got a full service done by Muddy sump and he said the head had not been off but all clearances were fine.
    Cost 370 quid for full 12k service.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks Dawsy, I emailed Muddy sump yesterday to get a quote for the valve check. The bike has been purchased, some new kit ordered, bring on Spring and the end of lockdown

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Dawsy

Dawsy Cumbrian half-wit
    Subscriber

Aug 24, 2018
    Cumbria
    Here's to a decent Spring! Hope you grow to love your bike as I have mine! Stay safe mate :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Agreed

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. QuadumphUK

QuadumphUK Noble Member

Aug 14, 2014
    Boscombe
    Welcome.
    Good luck with your purchase if you decide to buy. Hope you can upload some pics aswell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Red Thunder, new MOT regs, LED lights on any vehicle that are not fitted as original equipment will fail an MOT. New regs for number plates on historic vehicles as well, there is a lot more to come. Along with other forum members we posted some updates regarding the new regs + Highway Code proposed updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Iceman

Iceman Crème de la Crème

Apr 19, 2020
    Lancashire
    Hi Robert, to check the suspension linkage you will need to "bounce the rear end up and down" to see if the linkage is free, also test ride it to see if the suspension operates correctly (not solid)? there are 2 triangular plates either side of the linkage (shock to arm), it requires the 3 bolts to be undone and taken out, the bearings are inside the linkages, it's usually only a matter of cleaning the bearings in situ, re pack with the correct grease, however you do need to replace the 4 seals, and just re assemble, it's only an hour to do from start to finish. All parts are available, if you need the seals I can let you have a set of 4 (genuine Triumph) for £10 including postage. It's a simple job to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Iron

Iron Guest

Get a 1969 Bonnie, it won't fall to bits on ya, you'll get no electrical CON issues, the cases will be ok through rain, salt and mud, it'll keep a thread and the bolts will work, you'll just get experts doing the services, you won't need to worry about the house builder trying to sell you over priced blingy bits and saying he's never heard of those issues before on a Triumph and you'll be the coolest dude not to have sand kicked in your face at the beach.

Oh, and welcome :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks @Iceman that hard part of this job seems to be getting the bike of the ground, do you know if it's safe to jack the bike up (2 jacks one either side) from a steel bar through the swingarm pivot?

• Agree Agree x 1