Featured Triumph Newb Buying Advice Please

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Robert Summerfield, Feb 2, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Summerfield

Robert Summerfield Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2021
    Somewhere on planet earth
    I am returning to motorcycling after a 10 year gap. I'm looking to get a used Street Triple, I have seen a couple, one if which is a 2007 12k miles. It looks clean and well looked after and the engine sounds sweet, when the engine is switched off there is a series of little computer blips and whistles as the bike shuts down, is that normal?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Yes :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Hi mate and welcome
    You need to lose the postcode from your profile otherwise whatever you buy can be found by scrotes doing a search :eek:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    That was quick, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Short answer? YEP. It's purging the fuel injector/pump system or, as most owners like to think, saying "thanks for the ride .... sleep tight!".

There's a 2014 ST/R for sale by a forum member that looks to be an extremely good buy - I have NO connection with the seller and actually prefer the look of the Gen. 1 bike with (proper) round headlamps :)), but it is well spec'd.

Good luck with your search - the ST is arguably the sweetest machine produced by Triumph ..... yes, I am biased.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks for the heads up dilligaf, location changed to somewhere less specific

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hubaxe

Hubaxe Good moaning! aka Mr Wordsalad :)

Mar 25, 2020
    Aix Les bains - French Alps
    Welcome, Bienvenue.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thank's I'll check it out, I'm on a tight budget, the one I'm looking at is only 3K which seems a bit of a bargain. And yes I agree it's round headlights for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Ah, OK, the forum advertised one will probably be beyond your budget. £3k does sound good for a low mileage bike but, as it's pretty much the first year of production the one you're considering will have some potential drawbacks. If you need any help on 'inspecting' the one you're considering, let me know. You can use the 'private messaging' system (the envelope on the banner strip) if you wish.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks Adie, what are the potential drawbacks?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Robert and welcome to the forum :cool: best wishes on your purchase

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    Welcome to the forum :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Well, the earliest of the ST's are now 14 years old and some spares for them are already long obsolete. Early bikes are commonly known to suffer regulator/recifier problems - sometimes with associated catastrophic problems with the wiring sub loom. At 12k., if it hasn't had a valve shim check it will definitely need one and a good service (suspension linkage bearings need to be checked). The cooling system can be marginal so make sure it's been well looked after and regularly checked/serviced. I have a feeling that oil capacity on the very early bikes was an issue - I may be wrong on that but keep an eye on it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Once you get your Street Triple, if you are not pleased with the headlights brightness or spread pattern, you can do a 'cheap' upgrade to LED round units for about £40 to £45

Search 'Wisamic' on Amazon - do check for the correct size and fitting though

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    Thanks Adie, this is really valuable advice, the bike had a £400+ service a few months ago and has not been ridden since, I think the regulator may have been one of the repairs (the guy said something was making the battery go flat), how do I check the suspension linkage, if it's shot you can still get the bearings? and if so expensive inc fitting? As you can probably tell I'm no mechanic :laughing:

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    No problem. If it's had a £400 service then it's likely the valve shim checking/adjustment has been done. The reg/rec and alternator on early bikes is a known potental 'failure point' but, again, if that's one of the recent service items/repairs then you should be OK - take a voltmeter with you and check that you're getting a good voltage (14+) to the battery at >2,500 rpm. You can't check the linkage bearings without stripping down the linkage so look for it in any service history or check to see if there is any fresh grease visible on the sides of the rear suspension unit lower link plates. If not, see if you can get an extra few pounds off the asking price? The bearings are available and are awkward rather than impossible to service or replace. If you don't mind me asking, who did the recent service?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    The servicing was done by Ireland's Motorcycle services in Barnstaple, I don't know them personally but the seller said he always uses them and they appear to be a respected centre. I'll ask the seller about the shim check and other bits and pieces. Thanks again for all your help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Ireland's do seem to have a reasonably good reputation, though I haven't actually used them. Now, if you'd said "BRIDGE" ...... o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Welcome to the forum Robert :cool:
    Have to agree with Adie, the Street Triples are probably Triumphs best offering. Enjoy the forum and your new ride :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Robert Summerfield

Feb 2, 2021
    That's one to remember, I have been warned :p

• Agree Agree x 1