They`re At It Again...noooooo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by Thruccyboy, Mar 21, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    And I thought it was only me that had problems at renewal time. I have just gone through the "insure a bike on VIN number only to get it mot'd registered and taxed" syndrome. Try that if you really want a breakdown!!!

2. Mr.JB Bicester

Mr.JB Bicester New Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Bicester
    My renewal came up last month. Tried Peter Best Insurance. When the questioning reached "do you have a criminal record?" and "how many county court judgements have you had (against you)?", I politely told the lady that this had nothing to do with insuring a motorcycle and rang off. Peter Hagerty were very helpful, but only insured classics (I have one modern, one classic). Finally went back to Footman James who had quoted me just under £200 for renewal, 20% more than last year. Of this it turned out that £183 was for the modern bike and £17 for the classic. I asked for an increase in values for both bikes. Long wait ensued. New quote came back £46 LESS than the original quote. "How is that?", I asked. "well", said the lady, "if your bikes are worth more, it is expected that you will look after them better". . .

3. Havit

Havit Admin
    Staff Member Subscriber

Jul 17, 2015
    Kent
    Essex......Is that a high risk area, With 40 years behind you its not an age thing, I find that crazy:neutral:

4. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    its not accident risk any more its theft! soon there will be zones around the country where you won't be covered for theft if you park there or even ride through it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    I overheard a lad at my dealer on Saturday looking at bikes and say his bike had been nicked within 500 meters of his home, insurance wouldn't cover him so no payout!
    He had gone to the shops and put the wheel lock on but came out and it was gone, the actual distance by road was more than 500 meters, but it was within 500 meters as the crow flies.
    Poor lad.
    I wonder if you can ask/insist for it to be included as that is the point of having insurance if it gets nicked whether it is in your garage, , on your driveway or round the corner at the shops or your mates house!

6. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    They're cheating b*stards - everything in their favour and anything to not pay out. My bikes are kept in the garage so the premium should be lower but the 500 metre rule applies! So if I get home, go indoors for a minute and the bike gets nicked then they don't pay out. :mad::mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    My insurance is up in June, so I will be on the anual renewal merry go round again.
    On a slight change of focus; if the police put more effort into catching the scumbags who steal bikes and the courts dealt out sentences that reflect the crime when they are caught, perhaps there would be less stolen bikes and therefore less opportunity for the insurance companies to rip bikers off. Rant over......
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Pete Farrell

Pete Farrell Active Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Lancashire
    How good would it be to have Arabic law? Catch the thief and chop off their right hand!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk

Then there’d be no need for theft insurance!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. R_1000

R_1000 Elite Member
    Subscriber

Sep 2, 2016
    UK, London
    Nahhhhhh buddies, sorry to break it you lovely people......our finest don't have time to deal with the thieving scums because it doesn't generate any revenue......sorry people.....it's the painful truth :pensive:

If you want to see them in action then do 1 mph more than the speed limit or break a thieving scumbags legs. ....you will just get banged up :joy:

Here is a story....few years ago my fireblade was stolen. I came back from a movie to find out my bike is gone. My street is a no through road. At the start of the street there is a company with security camera outside. So I went and spoke to the security people explained the situation and gave them the possible hours we could look at. They were kind enough to check and said there was only one van that came in and out within the time frame we looked at. They explained to me they cannot give this to me for legal reasons but happy to hold this for 48 hours for police to identify the culprits.

Anyways I got excited and ran to the police station and told them my findings and they said to leave it with them. Guess what they never bothered to check it and the company erased it and moved on. When I asked the police why they never bothered.......sorry mate there other more pressing matters and they don't have the manpower :worried:

There you go

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    Insure them separately online (Asda compare) with the cheapest quote from 3 different insurers if necessary that what I do have 3 insured at the moment 1978 Suzuki GS 750 £70 TPFT (1 year no claims) 2003 BMW R1150R Rockster (5 years no claims) £116 F Comp 2006 Yamaha MT01 (9 (really 17)years no claims) £89 F Comp
    Grand total £ 275
    I know these have no claims but the difference it makes is minimal.
    I did an experiment last year with the MT01 for F Comp
    three different quotes the results were;
    9 years nc £ 84
    4 years nc £ 89
    0 years nc £101

Fecking madness

12. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Definitely food for thought... .Wouldn't it be even better to insure on the riders history & not what bike or bikes they ride?? Top security helps us but immensely helps insurance companies too I reckon
    Insurance companies should be forced to display what security gives what discount.. As I bend over double in my garage every time to lock my bikes in the most inaccessible place for a scumbag to get at I curse this country for allowing such scum to have to make me do this each time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    Me too buddy... Me too:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    The more security you have the longer it takes to steal = the more time you have to catch said scumbag red handed then :mad: citizens arrest time with reasonable force;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Have some empathy with the citizens arrest approach, but now days you just don't know what they are carrying; knivies, guns or just a house hammer. Anyway your bike is not worth your life or serious injury and if you do tackle them with appropriate force you are likely to end up in jail. Just let them have it and take the insurance companies money; it is what you have paid for! Not optimum but at least you will live to ride another day.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. v8dve

v8dve Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southampton
    How about starting a name and shame list of companies that dont insure less than 500m from insured address, so everyone can avoid....

17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    I think they are do now it's their new see high high and how many hoops you can jump through before you get pissed off with them and move so another company can take the piss

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. ian650

ian650 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Telford
    Brilliant idea....let's have a bit of player power. I do think we will need a few pages to include all of them!!

19. Thruccyboy

Thruccyboy Senior Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Essex
    The way insurance is going, soon it'll be easier to name the companies that Do insure you 500 mtrs from home :confused:

20. v8dve

v8dve Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Southampton
    #40 v8dve, Apr 3, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Ok, lets go with that then. For anyone who needs to insure it'll save a lot of hassle. Am just off to read the small print of MCE....

Edit: just read MCE policy docs and no mention of 500m exclusion.