Featured T120 X Pipe, De-cat

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Alectron, Jul 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #41 Kinjane, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Worst case scenario you’d end up paying for your damage and that of any third parties.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cupoftea

Cupoftea Noble Member

Dec 16, 2018
    NEW FOREST

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Nice one, well worth the coin letting them do it

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Sounds good to me and you when its done!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Which X pipe did you fit and are you using the original T pipes or after market.
    Mine are the USA spec Vance and H.
    Just wondering!

6. Respect doing it yourself, I got the dealer to do mine and it felt £50 well spent.
    As for the difference you’re spot on. Brings a smile each time I start her up and just a lot more responsive!

7. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Great, I just love its sound and slight but noticable power increase .

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigAl

BigAl New Member

Feb 23, 2019
    Stoke on Trent
    Are you still using standard silencers ?

9. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    Just done exactly the same, Motone with standard silencers (look nice on the Bonny).
    Rumbles gently and quite unobtrusively in town, but barks a little on the throttle and a lovely overrun.
    Very smooth and responsive pickup, but it was always thus.
    Runs cooler and saves a couple of kilos!!

When you look inside the standard cat X pipe, it's a miracle that the bike can run at all!!

• Like Like x 2
  10. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Just wondering how an insurance company would know an X-pipe had been fitted. You can't see it unless you get down on your hands and knees and know exactly what you're looking for, which I doubt is going to happen.
    When I had to replace the rotten exhaust system on my '94 Toyota recently the garage quoted £450+VAT+labour for a genuine system which included the cat converter. I went for a much cheaper, non-cat pipe and it never crossed my mind to tell the insurance company and they would probably have been surprised if I had. Why are bike insurance companies so much fussier? Because they can make more money of course!
    If you're not aware Bikesure accept a whole range of modifications that other companies do not, although I've never mentioned the X-pipe just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Yes I know!
    Not sure how that would affect insurance. But it isn't like changing the handling characteristic like re mapping etc, I hope!

12. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    #55 beerkat, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    All an X-pipe does is allow the engine to breathe a little more freely (as well as allow more pollutants to escape of course). The X-pipe manufacturers have done their homework and this isn't going to harm the engine. If Triumph fit them on request everything must be kosher. So there's unlikely to be any comeback following an insurance claim.

13. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    I understand and that's fair enough, you do whatever makes you feel happy of course. In my 40+ years of biking I have never had a single problem with an insurance claim. My bikes have had a variety of mods, including all the usual exhausts, shocks, bodywork, wheels, lights and so on, some of which I've declared but most I haven't. If an insurance company wanted to be really picky they could probably disqualify a claim because non-OE tyres were fitted. I guess we're just lucky we don't have the draconian regs that exist in Germany and other parts of Europe.

• Like Like x 1
  14. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Now how did I know someone would point that out? Just goes to show that EU rules don't apply universally as some people think they do..but let's not get into that malarky again, it's been amply covered elsewhere on this forum.

15. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia
    100% agree. Added K and Ns to let the air in. Allowed to idle until the fan cut in so the ECU can "acclimatize".
    As you say, well worth the effort!

(Original silencers retained)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Caligula

Caligula Member

Mar 17, 2019
    east anglia

Can now add, having used the bike a bit, it runs very well indeed (but then it always did!), I can JUST make out the burble with helmet and ear plug (I only have one ear!) which I couldn't before (original silencers)
    Saves weight and runs cooler .
    I would endorse other posts in that not all x pipes are the same (mounting and gas flow) and would suggest, Motone, TEC or Hyde???.

A well worth mod., no noticeable difference to the already excellent fuel consumption, but early days yet.

• Like Like x 2