Featured T120 X Pipe, De-cat

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Alectron, Jul 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Toga, pretty well much the same as the original parts on early original bikes. Sound amazing with the cat out. And you can get to the chain adjusters!

2. Alectron

Alectron Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Wow man that looks bad. Pleased you got the one to fit. My Motone went straight on with no problem. Cheers

3. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    I got the one from TEC and that fitted perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Mine was also TEC...guess the fabricator had an 'off' day! :laughing:
    They refunded without faffing so credit to them there.

5. dmcmillan1968

dmcmillan1968 New Member

Feb 28, 2018
    The Deep North
    Hi all, this is my first post on here. I bought a T120 Black in June 2018 and ran it stock until two week ago, I couldn't resist fitting an xpipe so ordered one from TEC and fitted it in around 8 hours, it was pretty intensive and without doubt the biggest mod I will undertake but could do it again in 2-3 hours now i reckon, A few hours of the install was because the xpipe was very slightly out so I had to loosen the plate above the cat and push/pull little to get it in, Also had some difficulty in lining up the stainless guard as the bracket was out so at this point I was wondering what the hell I had done it all for. After putting everything back together all was good ( albeit with a couple of extra little scuffs on the exhaust) and it brings a wide grin to your face when you first start it up, did the ECU reset and the bike runs really nice now, it gets rid of much of the snatchy throttle at low speeds but it's still evident it's there. I've also removed the snorkel and the bike sounds incredible even with the stock pipes, in fact I think I might put the snorkel back in as it is getting a bit too loud, every dog I pass now wants to go for me!

I now have two problems though, the first is my warranty is obviously void and I would have to remove the xpipe if I need any warranty work doing and secondly the biggest problem is my current insurance company won't approve the decat mod so I will either have to take it out or change insurance which is quite a bit more expensive. (Should have checked before I did the mod doh!)

So I don't really want to go back to the cat but I might have to think about it over the winter months when it's been put back into hibernation.

Also a 14mm spanner is needed to fit the back of the top frame bolt if anybody wants to try this, It took an age to find out this as all the video's of the installs i watched never mentioned it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dmcmillan
    Firstly welcome to the Family. Sounds quite a little task. I quite like my 900 with the cat still fitted. It gives a lovely little gurgle on the over run. This snorkle business i have not tried yet but will have a go soon and fit a free flow filter just to see.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. dmcmillan1968

dmcmillan1968 New Member

Feb 28, 2018
    The Deep North
    Thanks Joe, Yeah the bonnies certainly sound nice with the cat in too, just a little quiet for me. The main thing I was looking to get rid of was the snatching, it is really bad on the T120 at low speed especially with a pillion onboard, In fact i would go so far as to say it is dangerous when taking roundabouts. I felt like I was riding a bucking bronco in the first two gears when the missus was on the back before the xpipe install, she kept complaining that I couldn't ride the thing properly! I think a booster plug will be the next install as that is supposed to remove the snatching completely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    A 14mm hinged ratchet spanner makes short work of 'that' nut.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Welcome to the forum Dmcmillan, we'll done on the x-pipe fitting. I've hardly had a chance to ride my T120 since fitted mine but have next week off from work and will do a few miles on her then. I'm still waiting for the Norman Hyde silencers to arrive, taking a bit longer than anticipated but that's because NH are re-designing their silencers.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I wonder what they're doing to the design?

• Like Like x 1
  11. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    I asked when they emailed me if I didn't mind waiting a couple of weeks. They are reverting to using bolt on silencers to the hanger rather than in recent years using a welded hanger bracket. They have found the sometimes a welded hanger bracket can result in a less than perfect chrome finish.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Not forgetting to tighten up to the correct torque setting of course!

• Like Like x 2
  13. David Simpson

David Simpson Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Boston UK
    I got rid of the snatchy low throttle on my 1018 T120 by selecting rain mode when in built up areas, no problems now. bit of a clat at first but ok when you get used to it.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Yes, more for holding rather tightening. Not a lot of room for movement there.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Andy, I just had a Norman Hyde X pipe fitted by my local dealer. The fitting was only £100 I considered that very fair.
    Returning from the dealer I just thought ‘wow’ the throttle response was amazing and the sound (I have the Vance and Hines) , well I have to say, I can’t stop smiling!

• Like Like x 1
  16. AndyInSurrey

AndyInSurrey Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Isle of Wight
    Goonergoose, I fitted an x-pipe to my T120 a couple of weeks ago, much better throttle response and sound. Still waiting for Norman Hyde silencers to arrive

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hopefully be with you soon. I was thinking it(x pipe) maybe an anti climax when I went to pick it up from the garage because I was quite excited to see the result.
    But alas, I was not disappointed, I felt it was quite amazing. The sound is great also, I certainly don’t find it obnoxious as some have said. More like ‘Oh yeah’ with a big grin.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Well Gazza, it's all about personal opinion and choice I guess.
    All I can add to this is that after fitting the x pipe to my T120 I noticed a big change in sound level by 18db after fitting, not scientific but measured on my phone app and mostly at low frequency of between 60 and 220 Hz.
    The sound on mine is just terrific and throttle response is better too.
    I also had V and H pipes but didn't notice any great difference even after removing the baffles, before fitting the x pipe.
    In my opinion it just works and well worth the £133 I paid.
    Good luck. A

• Like Like x 1
  19. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    Seems like a good price to fit. I did my own and it took me all afternoon and some skin off my knuckles! Check which type of x pipe they fit, some have multiple welds which can restrict gas flow a bit, apparently.
    Ride safe man. A

• Like Like x 1
  20. Alectron

Apr 26, 2018
    Northumerland
    No other problems to report either, all good.

• Like Like x 1