Symptoms Of A Flat Battery.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Malcolm Woods, May 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Malcolm Woods

Malcolm Woods Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Ok away from my previous threads and onto something more triumph serious, I have a 2011 T100.
    On a few occasions when wheeling the bike out of the garage having had the battery on charge for couple of weeks, when I press the starter button she sounds like the battery is flat, but... persevere and she eventually will go. the previous owner told me about this so expected it..
    My point is I cannot believe I am the only one who have this slight problem ???? never encountered this other bikes I have owned. Is there a fix for this does anyone know of.
    Thanking you all.
    Mallywoods.

2. littleade

littleade The only sane one here
    Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    kidderminster Worcestershire
    How old is the battery Mally?

3. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Less than 4 months.

4. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Have you checked the wiring and connections? Any dirty or loose connections? Is the main fuse clean and firm?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Are all the connections to the battery, starter etc tight and corrosion free. Do you have a multimeter to check what the voltage is across the battery when you press the starter then again on the starter to see if the power is getting through. Other than that I can't help.

• Like Like x 1
  6. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    I was going to say real Triumphs had a kick start but thought better of it......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. littleade

Subscriber

Mar 17, 2015
    Another thought-did you change the battery/were the same symptoms there with the old one. If they were then it sounds like it's not the battery

• Like Like x 1
  8. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Does it do this every time or do the symptoms change slightly?
    I’m just thinking it could be a faulty starter solenoid, or even the starter itself.
    As littleade says though, a good clean/ check of connections from the battery to the starter would be the first steps.
    Good luck with getting the problem sorted.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Please tell me ,,, have I a problem, thought is is not unusual on our bikes???

10. freck

freck Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Not being a T100 owner I can’t say that it isn’t a quirk of the model, but being an engineer makes me think there is a problem if it’s not working as it should be expected to. :confused:

• Like Like x 1
  11. half ton

half ton Ave yer gotta light Buh.
    Subscriber

It's not a common problem on Bonnies as far as I know

12. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme
    Subscriber

Nov 6, 2014
    sw london
    I’d say there’s a problem. Give us a clue! It obviously has been happening since you’ve bought the bike but was that 3 months ago or pre your new battery? If you can’t hook your bike up to a known good battery and see if it still happens then, as said above, give everything a good clean up and check

13. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Ok thanks for the reply, it did the same with the old battery that's why I bought a new one, I will check clean earth connections and check tighten every thing.today.

14. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Not Well Known Member
    Subscriber

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    What are the symptoms? Does it just click pause click pause click etc? If so is it a fast series of them or is there a good full second between the clicks? If you run a test wire directly from your positive to the starter solenoid (small tab) will it turn over successfully?

15. Malcolm Woods

Sep 16, 2019
    norfolk
    Yes your right click pause 3 or 4 times then the engine turns, sometimes the engine turns on the button first time.

16. jeffrey vale

jeffrey vale New Member
    Subscriber

Sep 7, 2019
    cheshire
    Had similar problem with my old t100 and it was the starter relay,changed it for one off flea bay, no more probs.

17. Rocker

Rocker Elite Member
    Subscriber

May 1, 2016
    Suffolk
    If you get a click it sounds like a bad connection from the solenoid to the starter motor or a bad starter motor but could also be the solenoid change the cheapest parts first

18. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I have a slightly more mature T100. With a healthy battery it has never hesitated. Your intermittent symptoms smack of a poor connection (earth strap stud underside rear gearbox?), lazy relay etc. I would squirt the fuse box and multiplugs (don’t forget inside headlamp shell) with electrical cleaner (Halfrauds aerosol) and wiggle. At nearly 10yrs old you can reasonably expect mild corrosion and the odd tired component.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Smilinjack

Smilinjack Crème de la Crème

Aug 14, 2016
    Nottingham
    I had this problem on my Kawasaki. Corroded contacts on the starter button. :)

20. Tigcraft

Tigcraft Not Well Known Member
    Subscriber

Mar 29, 2014
    Holmfirth West Yorkshire
    What’s the time between pauses?