How To Fix Clutch Safety Or Neutral Switches?

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Shauna Fox, Jul 29, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Shauna Fox

Shauna Fox New Member

Jul 29, 2019
    Hillsboro, OR
    anyone have pics or vids on how to fix the clutch safety switch or neutral switch? my 2010 bonneville is not always starting up for me and I think it has something to do with those switches (since it starts after I play with the clutch a few times)

• Like Like x 1
  2. freck

freck Noble Member
    Subscriber

May 4, 2017
    Preston, Lancs, UK
    Welcome Shauna, you’re probably better off buying a new one for what they cost.
    It’s probably just a micro switch under the left switch cluster that’ll have a screw holding it on. Hopefully it won’t be like the newer ones that are built into the cluster.
    If you want to fettle it though, I’d remove it and spray in some contact cleaner where you can, then leave it to dry before putting it back. :grinning:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mischa Vladivostok

Mischa Vladivostok Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi Shauna,

that is unfortunately a recurring issue with some of the older Bonnies, I experience that from time to time with my 2011 T100. I pulled out the clutch sensor from the left-hand assembly, cleaned it, and plug it back in. It didn't exactly fix it, but made it less fiddly.

Another thing you might want to check is the side-stand sensor, it might get stuck with gunk. Give it a good clean, and just a bit of grease.