Speed Twin - Squealing Front Brakes.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Wessa, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good result, similar to mine which was fixed within not to many days. Can't ask for better dealer and supplier (Triumph) support.

2. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    jack lilley did mine as well yesterday. new discs and pads. all under warranty.

no squealing so far.

fingers crossed !

3. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.

4. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.
    Update. Triumph okayed new pads and rotors. Finally. It pays to complain. Well anyway, it’s fixed(so far). No noise yet. Heading to the Mts. Of north Georgia this week. Will know if the fix worked.

• Like Like x 3
  5. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    250 miles and the noise is back

ffs

6. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.
    I feel your pain. 1000 miles later and the squeal is back. I think I am going to get rid of this bike. It’s a battle I am tired of fighting.

7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Oh my that is a real shame. I would be interested what the dealer has to say; did they really change the discs and pads?

8. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.

9. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.
    Yes, the pads and rotors were changed. Squealing came back a 1000 miles later. I am going to contact triumph after sales again. They seem more concerned about the bike than the dealer(Tampa Triumph). Shame, other than the brakes, I like the bike.

10. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    they put new pads and discs on mine

as someone earlier said. it must be the actual wheel

11. nikolashka

nikolashka Member

May 21, 2019
    london
    good to know. thanks

• Like Like x 1
  12. JPB

JPB Senior Member
    Subscriber

Aug 22, 2017
    Somerset
    Have you tried emailing the chief executive, Nick Bloor? [email protected]

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-81004

Worth a try before giving up on what is a great bike.

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    2000 miles since my new wheel, discs and pads, no squealing. Silence is golden!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    2000 miles since my new wheel, discs and pads, no squealing. Silence is golden!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I’m still monitoring mine since disc and pad changes. Booked in for the gear level breakage that happen a couple of weeks ago. A couple of significant problems does make you think about the quality of the bike build....

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Build quality is definitely down IMHO. I recently bought two new Honda 500's for less than the cost of my one Speed Twin, both now have over 5,000 miles on each of them and other than requiring a chain adjustment both have been absolutely faultless. I've had three new modern classics off of Triumph in the last few years but sadly l'll be replacing the Triumph with a Honda when the time eventually comes.

Anyway...
    I recently looked at my discs and realised the edge of the discs were changing height as they rotated through their calipers where the unnecessarily loose fit between the centre of the disc and the locating shoulders on the hub permitted it to be bolted down off of centre. My thoughts are that because my pads run right along the edge of the disc instead of inside to allow for 'bad' disc positioning this resulted in most of the pad being worn away by the majority of the disc where it sat low and when hitting the untouched section of the pad the piston was moved fractionally back inside the caliper, re-positioning itself after the high spot had passed.

I loosened of the disc bolts and positioned the discs centrally. Now when pushing the bike out of the garage the regular swoosh swoosh noise previously heard from the pads has gone and the high frequency pulsing at the lever in the vertical plane which occurred during heavy breaking has stopped.
    The other option would have been to see if sufficient play in the caliper fixing holes enabled re-positioning it lower down on the fork legs so all of the pads surface made contact with the disc as it rotated irrespective of where the edge of the disc sat.

This may not be a solution for everyone but re-positioning the discs sorting out most of mine. I've also put a fresh application of copper slip on the rear of the pads where they sit against the pistons and also along the bottom and leading edge where the pads make contact with the caliper in the hope of eradicating the last traces of noise (albeit faint) which occur during the last few feet of stopping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Yenso

Yenso New Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Norway
    NEW

Hi!
    Bought the 2019 speed twin. Super happy with the bike apart from the squeal.

Had front discs and pads replaced at 15.000km after two times trying a thorough clean at the dealers and squealing and pulsing since about 500km.

Lovely with no squeallling for about 500km with new pads and disc, then squealing increasingly returns, not so much pulsing yet at about 1000km with new parts.

Will take it back to the dealer and hear what the say about what been said here about maybe front wheel is off.

For what its worth, it seems to me the squealing came back after I did some normal to hard braking engaging the ABS again. First 500 km aprox, I only did light braking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Some bikes have had the front wheel replaced to cure it.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    Recently cleaned my bobbins by pushing them from behind and spraying the underside of the exposed head. Certainly makes it easier for the cleaner to penetrate elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1