Speed Twin - Squealing Front Brakes.

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Wessa, Jul 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep that was exactly what mine sounded like before the disc’s and pads were changed... get down to your dealers!

2. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    Mine are the same and there is a severe pulse through the lever, causing my head to nod like an oil well pump! Seems the hub centre is faulty so needs a new wheel.

3. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.
    I have been arguing with them all month. They don’t think it’s their problem.

4. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    That's exactly how mine were from about 100 miles until the pulsing started as well. Not very happy.

5. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    If you like you can quote me and the problems I had. My dealer sent of a video to Triumph and within a day the new replacement parts were provided.
    Let me know if you want me to pm you with the details?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fatsonion

Fatsonion New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    St. Petersburg fl.
    Gonna call triumph tomorrow and try to send them the video. Hopefully it will work out for me

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Good luck....

8. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Spray a small amount of WD40 on each button and wipe dry straight afterwards and the squeal should stop, I agree they shouldn’t do it but until Triumph sort it, this will help

9. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    Can you explain what part of the brakes the button is? My brakes squeal but I don't get the pulsing so i don't think they are warped but who knows, is there a definitive fix for this yet? Would just replacing the rotors with decent ones fix it?

10. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    Is the circular part between the carrier and disc only a tiny bit of oil and wipe straight off
    Don’t let oil get on the disc

11. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    Thanks Glyn, when you say Oil, is WD40 OK? Or do you recommend something else? Someone mentioned brake cleaner which I also have

12. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    What modification is this and has it fixed it? So spray brake cleaner in the buttons or in and around the calipers?

13. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    If they've just replaced with the same Triumph parts surely it will just start squealing again, mine didn't start doing it until I'd done about 800 miles. Yes Bike is only 3 months old so still in warranty, it's a Speed Twin. Thanks for your advice btw

14. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    I can't believe it's the same problem with the Speed Twin as all the wheels would have this insert now surely?

15. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    I've sent a link to that You Tube video on here saying I have this exact same problem, I can shoot my own video too if needed, unless they know what the problem is the dealer will just replace with new discs and pads and I'm sure the problem will just come back again, could be a design flaw of the braking system or front wheel

16. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    My dealer informs me that Triumph have supplied a new wheel to correct my pulsing and squealing brakes........................

• Like Like x 3
  17. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    The disks on the T120 are not floating so have rubber dampers fitted. Yet the T100 has a floating disk and a damper. Strange. Looking through the parts diagrams, it seems that generally, any bike with a floating disk will not have a damper.

I'm sure this doesn't need saying but you don't want oily brakes. I would avoid putting any lubricant on the bobbins. Even if you wipe it off, centrifugal force will take any resudue oil straight out to the contact patch. Sure it might burn off, but it might contaminate the pads too. You'll have to make up your own mind!

The bobbins should be free to turn, free of corrosion and brake dust and the disk should move laterally a bit, restricted by the spring washer on each bobbin.
    Personally I'd use brake cleaner after doing any cleaning or maintainance work on the bobbins to flush out any brake dust/corrosion/WD40 etc. Probably take the pads out too if using any lubricant. Also best to blow out any water after washing the bike (with compressed air / pet dryer) before putting the bike away because that's when the disks can rust onto the bobbins. It shouldn't be so much a problem in the rain as the disks are spinning and getting hot.

I've done over 1000 miles now and not had a squeak. Yet.

18. Glyn Phillips

Glyn Phillips Old’N’Slow

Jun 21, 2018
    Essex
    I’d still go a tiny bit of oil free the buttons wipe dry, then brake cleaner to remove any residue.
    But if you say they’re not semi floaters then it’s pointless even trying to clean them anyway as they will be fixed

19. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    New
    Collected my bike yesterday late afternoon. Street Bike have been brilliant throughout, keeping me informed of what they have been doing. It seems that the wheel centre was slightly out of true, causing one of the discs to run out. Triumph have supplied a new wheel, discs and pads. I now have silent brakes with no pulsing. very happy customer. I will update as the miles creep up!

• Like Like x 3