SPEED TRIPLE WARRANTY ISSUES

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Col_C, Oct 11, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MickEng

MickEng Noble Member

Sep 29, 2016
    West Yorkshire
    Hi Alan,
    I must admit at 2yrs 4mths old unless you or the previous ownerhad taken extended warranty out on the bike, I wouldn't have thought you had a cat in hells chance of claiming for new discs.
    Better just to go on-line and secre the best deal, someone on the forum just recently mentioned EBC disc and pads for £100
    Not worth wasting your time trying to claim mate.

2. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    Only issue I had on my 2012 Speed Triple was warped front discs which were replaced under warranty.
    I'm a former Multistrada owner and for me the warped discs were just a minor hiccup in an otherwise trouble free time with the Triumph. The Multistrada was returned to Ducati 7 times in its first 18 months..... multiple issues including no rear brake, surging, high speed cut out, rear suspension failure, clutch master cylinder, remote key fob, wrong antifreeze in engine!! which corroded the engine internals. That thing was a good looking fast pile of absolute shite. And as far as depreciation, put 13,000 miles on one in 18 months#!#!# Only the brave or deranged would own a Multi out of warranty

3. Col_C

Col_C I can't re...Member

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    You brought a wry smile to my face.....'94 Trident sprint, '99 SprintST, '08 SprintST all with very few warranty issues, all sorted.
    Then I bought a '13 Multistrada, got to know my Ducati dealer very well, lost count when no. of warranty claims hit double figures. Final straw, heated grips failed but dealer didn't see until days after warranty end. Was expected to pay labour, traded in back to my Triumph Speed within weeks, £7k the poorer but wiser and happy again.

I have to say warped discs does seem to be a common problem with Triumph (mine have also been replaced).

Unfortunately the lesson to be learnt from Alan's experience, if you're buying nearly new stick to a Triumph dealer (and check for dealer servicing).

4. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Just a thought, why do all cars come with at least 3 years warranty, and all bikes come with only a year warranty?
    Cars are generally used and abused, where bikes are riders pride and joy.
    Very odd

5. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    is it not 2 years you get with a new bike? i guess if everyone complained they would have to make it 3 years!

6. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Yes, 2 years from Triumph. Also Ducati, and they used to offer an extra year on top for a fee, they stopped that a few years back (no surprise to me :rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 1
  7. topbanana0

topbanana0 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2016
    South Wales
    Ahh I stand corrected

8. capt

capt Elite Member

May 8, 2016
    western Australia

9. Gerry

Gerry Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear,
    I had a problem with my 2011 speedy headlights cracking and had them replaced under warranty no problem, They also supplied a throttle position sensor free of charge when the main dealer cocked up on balancing the throttle bodies out of warranty.

• Like Like x 2
  10. muzhik

muzhik Member

May 9, 2016
    Maryland, USA
    #30 muzhik, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Have my first possible warranty issue. 2014 plate, but the in-service date was April 13th, 2016. My left fork seal seems to have gone incontinent.

[​IMG]

Think Triumph will cover, or will they try to claim fork seals are "consumable items?" ... or blame it on all the hard drops from wheelies (which believe it or not, I rarely get the wheel off the ground on purpose).

Update: Expressly NOT covered, according to my dealer and the warranty manual. HOWEVER, "the film trick" took care of my issue. The dealer would have happily charged me $300 for the job.

11. jezzasnr

jezzasnr Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Cornwall
    Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
    Bought a brand new Speed 94 October 2015 from my local dealer. Very pleased with it and have always used them for services etc.
    I've had no problems with the bike and have been really pleased with it. Before I put it away for the winter I noticed a couple of small cracks/marks in the instrument glass.
    I was pissed off, but it was minor and I assumed that I'd knocked it in some way. On getting the bike out a couple of months ago they had got worse and a couple more appeared. Next time i was passing I popped in and asked them to have a look. They took pictures and forwarded on to Triumph who duly authorised warranty replacement.
    The dealer managed to fit me into the workshop yesterday. Whilst handing over the keys I checked to see they had the correct details. They confirmed that they were replacing the instrument glass.
    Picked the bike up, all done. Happy boy.
    When I got home I noticed that the odometer was only showing 50 miles as opposed to the 9k + that the bike has done. I'm not happy about this. I've spoken to them this morning and they have said that there's nothing they can do to reinstate the original mileage, but are happy to provide a letter to support that this work was done by an authorised dealer under warranty.
    Still not happy. I'm looking to move the bike on in the near future and I can't see that this will not affect the value of the bike.
    I made the point to the chap that phoned me (a director apparently) that faced with two identical bikes with similar mileage, but one with the odometer that tallies, the other that doesn't, but has a letter, I know which of the two I would be buying. Unless of course there were some kind of financial incentive to buy the warranty claim bike.
    I can't see that this hasn't had a detrimental effect on the value of the bike.
    So, opinions and experiences please ladies & gentlemen.
    At the moment I've asked that they write to me with details of what they are proposing to do.

12. Pabs

Pabs Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Plymouth
    I cant help but agree. They should have repaired the glass and not just swapped the parts out.

I would certainly be put off from buying a bike with this issue even if there was a letter from triumph accompanying it.

Id rather a bike that had not been repaired or that had been done to an accepatble standard.

My car a skoda vrs had the clocks replaced after the immobilser went faulty (its built into the clocks).... my mileage was unaffected.... is the mileage not part if your ecu?????

Other wise could i not buy cheap low mileage clocks off a damaged bike on ebay and put thebm on a high mileage bike?

What they have done needs some explanation?

• Like Like x 1
  13. WesSmith

WesSmith Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Hastings, East Sussex
    Don't think the dealer had much option here....I'm sure Triumph don't do replacement clock plastic, and you'd be miffed if they tried to replace the face and left marks or glue showing or it turned out not watertight.
    The mileage must be stored in a chip in the speedo electronics.
    Don't expect they can give you the replaced parts either as they will no doubt have to return them to Triumph for proof/examination

14. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Ducati Multistrada's had a very common problem with condensation in instruments and same problem when replaced (ie 0mls). 2013 onwards they made it possible to enter mileage on replacement clocks, although in my case it required pass code from HQ to be done.
    Might be worth pressing your dealer to double check with Triumph whether something similar is possible.

Having been through similar, personally it wouldn't put me off buying if everything else was spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  15. anthony gothard

anthony gothard Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2016
    lancashire uk
    Another one here with warped discs.
    Been to dealers this morning and getting replaced under warranty
    2016 speed 94r

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    hmmm, I get a very minor scrape with each turn of the front wheelo f my '16 Speed Triple
    Just the brake pad touching the disc, I may get a mechanical ruler out and check the disc isn't warped.

17. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Try very light braking as if rolling up to traffic lights, you'll feel uneven braking if they're warped (that's how mine were, not noticeable under anything heavier). Had them replaced with new pads too under warranty - no problem. Been ok since having done another 2-3k miles.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    I don't think I have any problems with the discs being warped on mine and think I would have noticed but will nevertheless check it as Col_C suggested. I do have another strange occurrence on my front rim where I noticed paint peeling upwards, a small area only and very much the size of the wheel weights used for balancing the rim. I had the dealer fit a new front tyre prior to me taking delivery and only noticed it the first time I washed the bike after a morning out. Someone stuck electrical tape over it (I shit you not) so it was very well concealed. Nevertheless I was beyond pissed off when I saw this and contacted my dealer first thing the next morning. He is a great bloke and immediately said that he will contact Triumph to put in a warranty claim for a new rim as the paint should not peel even if it was from removing a wheel weight when the tyre was fitted (my theory). Anyhow, we still don't know what happened for sure and he did say he would contact the previous owner to ask him about it. Overall I am very happy with the way he handled it. We are now waiting for the new rim ETA this month.

19. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa

Our GM just bought one now recently, he sold his 1200 GS to get it... I'd rather not even mention what I read on here to him... frightening!!! He told me last week that it's not really suitable for light gravel when going of tarmac and because of that he now bought a 800GS along with it for when he does want to go of road... Too much money me reckons.....

20. Col_C

Aug 5, 2015
    Cornwall
    Ducati..... lovely bikes to ride and to look at....shite to own.
    I think owning a Ducati is "a rite of passage" for most bikers, I bought the Multistrada on the image that it was the ultimate sports-tourer, .....which it perhaps would be if it all worked reliably. Unfortunately I live a long way from my nearest dealer, the number of faults that required fixing under warranty went into double figures, so I rapidly got tired of the hassle (and went back to a Triumph).
    I'm a design engineer by profession and saw errors (some basic) that should have been picked up before release, added to which Ducati are too slow in acknowledging / correcting them IMO. In the warranty period they will happily replace parts (without solving the underlying problem), after that you're on your own.
    From my time on the Ducati forum I also believe a number of Ducati owners are in denial, example....
    Fuel gauge sender unit is unreliable (I went through three in 2yrs), owner says "I just use the trip anyway"
    Is that acceptable on a £16k bike!
    There's a whole host of very common faults on the Multistrada, and expensive to fix, which non Ducati dealers will remind you of when it comes to trade-in time.
    I'm told other Ducati models are not a problem, I won't be testing that theory. :)

• Like Like x 1