Speed Triple Rs "shift Assist"

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Tony Rokins, Apr 30, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jonboro

Jonboro Member

May 2, 2018
    Middlesbrough
    Once run in you will notice the difference , sometimes it dosent go straight in on the up but never a problem going down.

2. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    I know what you mean! Downshifts I can manage better myself. But with practice I have found that once in second gear, if you change up using the shifter, just at the point when you would normally go for the clutch it’s very very smooth indeed. Just snicks through. Takes a little practice to get it just right but I now find I am using it more and more. Some days I can’t be fussed with the quickshift, but on the whole I am enjoying it now I have got the hang, it was very frustrating to start with......

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    I’m not sure what you mean by it takes practice. When you want to change gears just pull up on the shift lever with a purposeful tug (insert joke here) and it will change into the next gear. There is nothing to practice. The false neutrals a lot of use are experiencing with the quickshifter is a problem though.

4. Ghriogair

Ghriogair Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Edinburgh
    Judging by this thread there are some that find the use of the quickshifter easier than others? Us older chaps maybe find a ‘purposeful tug’ less easy than you young boys? I have it sussed now, nice and smooth, with only a minimum of effort....joking aside I haven’t found it that easy to get to grips with, but having no other experience than the one on the RS it’s difficult to assess how good or bad compared to other bikes?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    At 51 I don’t feel that young anymore, but don’t find it too difficult to shift gears yet. It’s supposed to shift easier when the rpm’s are higher in the rev range, but I’ve had two quickshifters on this bike and both have been shite. I’ve disabled it and I’m hoping for a refund on the part. I hope you have better luck than I.

6. Andybow

Andybow Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2018
    Uk Exeter
    My brother has a tuono 1100 and my friend has a superduke, both have quickshifters and blippers
    They are so easy to use, never a missed gear change.
    I’ve used quickshifters for years now and the triumph system is easily the worst to use.
    So don’t worry it’s not just the rider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    The quickshifter on the Street RS is brilliant but it only goes up, maybe the issue is the autoblipper?

8. White-Vador

White-Vador Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2019
    South of France
  9. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    i get my new bike on Friday ,after reading so many negative posts about the shift assist i cancelled it as an option ,might be over reacting but i'm sure i'll manage without :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Probably a wise decision. Until Triumph sorts this out, and it’s looking like they’re not capable, it’s best to stay away from the quickshifter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. spony

spony Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2019
    scotland
    yeah ,what i was thinking ,i was looking forward to it but i'm going to play it safe

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rich T

Rich T New Member

Dec 14, 2019
    Worcestershire
    Thought I'd get out for a quick spin whilst the sun was out this alvo and quickly found that the quick shifter wasn't working on my RS. Looked on the Bike Set up menu and the Triumph Shift Assist option wasn't there! Checked the wire was still intact on the shifter and all ok so a bit of a mystery.....all I can think of is that I fitted an Optimate lead to the bike and had to disconnect the battery and wondered if this may have affected the menu settings? I haven't had any warnings come up to say the battery has been disconnected....any ideas please?

13. Chrissy Dougherty

Feb 7, 2021
    NZ
    Hi Matt, I'm in NZ, & have done 35,000 Kilometers now. the shift assist has been working silky smooth most times. However, the last few weeks, its not behaving at high revs. 4th to 5th and 5th to 6th. Like its finding a false neutral. Hope its not an expensive fix. Is this a common thing??

14. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Hi chrissy. There is a recall on the shift assist that "should" prevent false neutrals on the shift assist.
    Some report no difference and some do.
    The arm that connects to the gear selection shaft now gets a little "cut out" and it now means that it doesn’t foul the frame.
    I'd switch off shift assist via the menu until its been replaced (free) and they've had a look as some horror stories have been reported about the box.

15. Ducatitotriumph

Ducatitotriumph Crème de la Crème

Apr 25, 2019
    Rothwell
    Sounds like you’re on the right path tbh.
    Software error and needs to be re-activated via the dealer by the sounds of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chrissy Dougherty

Feb 7, 2021
    NZ
    Thanks so much, that is what I need to hear, as I'm hoping like hell that is the case. I'm heading back to the Store where I purchased the bike, as it's hard to get 'good' service from our Retailers here in NZ. So back to the big smoke, Auckland from Tauranga.