Featured Speed Triple 94´s Resurrection

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Kraken, Mar 16, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Speedy Pete

Speedy Pete Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Reading your story reminds me of a similar project I had back in 1995, I had been dreaming of a new fireball orange speed triple, but they were way too expensive for me, but one Wednesday in the motorcycle news classifieds ( No internet of any great use or Ebay at that time) I spotted orange speed triple damaged repairable NOT recorded only 500 miles covered !
    The price I think was around £2500 and 180 miles away, plus it was Christmas week.
    I had to have it !!!!!!
    A quick call to the seller and arrangements to view / collect on New years day was arranged.
    A van was hired and a call made to a motorcycle breaker in Milton Keynes, who advertised breaking modern Triumphs including speed triple, he had been taking part in the Triumph sponsored Triple challenge race series and said he had virtually anything I would require, and was willing to open on New years day if I was spending over £500!

Early New years day, I open the curtains to deep snow, but this wasn't going to stop me. I'M ON A MISSION!

After a long and interesting journey, we arrive at the sellers house to see the bike.
    My extra thicker than thick rose colour glasses firmly on!

This bike is destroyed! You know how a crashed motor GP bike if given the chance to get both wheels off the ground suddenly gains an extra hundred miles an hour then cartwheels is self to death before hitting the tyre wall, well you get the picture.

But I had hired a van, driven 180 miles through a blizzard and got a small amount off the price, so in the van it went, next stop Milton Keynes.

It would be easier to say what we didn't need, but highlights included sump, body work, complete exhaust system, set of carbs ..the middle one had shattered!!!!!! etc etc.
    The breaker was really helpful (Well he would be as £500 turned into £1500 !)

My local motorliner in Maidstone took care straightening things out like wheels, discs, yokes. The frame was fine! LOL and saved me a fortune.

Would I do it again ??? well I did in 1996 with a T595 so yes, it's a great learning curve, just clean and repair / replace each piece as you remove it, and resist the urge to tare everything apart, as you will just end up overwhelmed and the project will stall, plus the rebuild will be a joy if all the dirty work has been done.

Keep going with the project, they are great bikes, they feel top heavy at first, but you soon get the foot rest scratching.

Here are the before and after scanned in photo's (Pre digital)

img047.jpg

img051.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    The body work from the breaker was black and I never got round to spraying it my beloved orange!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    It looks great Pete, but you had a great advantage at that time, it was easy to find parts, and also you found someone who had them new.
    Today I think it will be a little more difficult, but I am not discouraged, I want the same result as you and I will fight to achieve it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    @Speedy Pete WOW - what a fantastic tale! Great story, well told and an amazing transformational outcome. I can just imagine your heart and head dropping - with an audible thud - on first sight of the heap of twisted motorcycle components masquerading as a Speedie!

I take it you no longer have the T3? I consider myself very fortunate to have one of each of the black and orange models and would dearly love to have an original in the yellow - there seem to be so few in yellow - but, sadly, that's not likely to happen any time soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    Adie, I can't afford two bikes, but I have been considering looking for another body to paint it orange, I only need 5 pieces.
    Here, there is a seller who sells the body of a yellow daytona 900 for 500 Euros, but I don't think this is the time to spend money on that, but I can't stop my mind to think about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    If the yellow Daytona body is complete then you have all the components required for a Speed, surely? Front mudguard; tank; side panels and rear bridge panel. The only additional item might be the seat cowl - and repro's are available.

The Daytona 900 is, in essence, a Speed Triple with a very sexy dress. Or a Speed Triple is a very sexy Daytona with no additional clothing?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Yes I agree, I had a lucky break with the breaker, and sprint manufacturing had recently started up, but it still cost a fair bit in odds and ends from Triumph, via Paul Smart in Paddock wood and Jack Liley.
    But the internet would have been amazing for parts and information.
    Lots of phoning breakers on the land line (only line) and making drawings of how things go, no quick pic's on the mobile.
    Happy days

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Glad you enjoyed it, the engine had to be totally striped to clean out road grit, and the cases needed welding in places.
    I kept it for a number of years and commuted 60 miles a day in the summer on it, and eventually sold it to my best friend who really looked after it, before selling it when he moved away.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    My advice is buy it when you see it, you will only regret it when someone else does.
    You can always sell it if you change your mind

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    I have called the seller and he has sent me photos, the front mudguard and seat cover are missing, and some side panel brackets are broken.
    The price has dropped a bit, but not much, I have to think about it.

IMG-20210322-WA0016.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    Do you know any place where they sell seat cover reproductions?
    I have been looking for it and I have only found the originals and they cost more than 200 euros

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    I assume that you mean the seat cowl, Joaquin? It is still available to order from Triumph parts suppliers but, as you say, not cheap ...

https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5090/speed-triple-carbs/seat-covers

Sprint manufacturing do a reproduction which isn't bad at all ...

https://www.triumphparts.co.uk/product/single-seat-cover-900-1200-daytona-speed-triple/

... but isn't all that much cheaper - especially as it needs paint! Unfortunately, however, they're out of stock at present and I don't know if/when theymight be back in stock. I know that Sprint were having the "bum pad" remanufactured but the manufacturer was not, I gather, being very consistent with quality control so I have a feeling an alternative may be needed in the near future. I think I got the last (useable) one they had which I've sent to D1200E in the US for his Daytona 1200. Something that you WILL definitely need, though, are the mounting 'bosses' in the seat. These are unobtanium and are uniquely engineered for this application.

Would you like me to check with Trevor at Sprint to see if/when replacement cowls might be expected?

They do occasionally, if infrequently, come up on ebay and I will keep an eye open on your behalf but I get the impression that the world is gradually awakening to the potential for making money on parts for T300s and premium prices are being asked for pretty much anything related.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    Thanks Adie,
    Indeed the original is better because it is already painted.
    I don't understand this "Something that you WILL definitely need, though, are the mounting 'bosses' in the seat. These are unobtanium and are uniquely engineered for this application."
    Could you take pictures of the cover inside, please

What is the right way "seat cover or seat cowl"

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Contact stephen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    Thanks Pete,

Very cheap, but my spoken English is unfortunate, it is difficult for me to write it, listening is impossible for me, I need a very slow and perfect pronunciation to understand just a little.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Speedy Pete

Feb 1, 2019
    Kent
    Maybe someone on the forum is in Derbyshire and can help, (Purchase / post) if they are of use to you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kraken

Kraken Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2021
    Sevilla (Spain)
    I would be so grateful

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    My apologies, Joaquin - your English is so good I made the typically British mistake of assuming you would understand.

So, first, the plastic 'cover' that goes over the rear part of the seat and gives the bike the "racing seat" look is what I tend to refer to as the seat cowl or seat hump - though I notice that Triumph and Sprint Mfg. both call it the 'seat cover'. I've always known seat covers as the material that covers the foam. Ah well - that's one for me to remember ..... not such a smart arse, now, huh? My apologies for causing that confusion.

Now, the plastic cover/cowl itself mounts onto the seat by screwing two shouldered screws into mounting points - which I referred to as "bosses" in my message - that are already (or should already be) fitted into the sides of the seat. These mounting points are very specific and were only fitted to the seats of Daytonas and Speed Triples of the era. All of the seats of the various 900 and 750 triples of the era (except the Tiger and Thunderbirds) were the same shape and size and could be fitted to any of the T300 Trident, Trophy, Sprint, Daytona and Speeds of the era (roughly 1991 - 1997) BUT only the Daytona and Speed models had the bosses installed to enable fitment of the seat cover/cowl. The screws that hold the cover/cowl onto the seat are available from Triumph (though any 6mm button head allen screw would work) BUT those mounting point bosses are now nearly impossible to obtain, unless you happen to find a seat with them already installed or you get super lucky like I did a couple of weeks ago, and happen to see a pair come up on ebay. £26 for 2 nuts and 2 bolts makes them VERY special! They're currently in transit to the US.

So, if you have a seat for your bike - check to see if it already has the mounting points installed. If it doesn't and you want a seat cowl/cover fitted, then you'll need to add them to the list of parts required and keep a careful watch on seats for sale.

I hope all that is understandable and I apologise again for the confusion I caused.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Sorry, Joaquin .... I am being completely DUMB here! Not unusual.

I've just looked back to the beginning of this thread and noticed that the picture of your Speed without the engine in it shows the seat sat on the frame ... complete with cowl mounting points!!!

You already have good side panels and the rear panel so if you want a change of colour it would be cheaper and easier to have those resprayed with the colour of your choice. So, unless you want to convert the Speed to a Daytona, I personally wouldn't bother with the yellow panels that you mentioned.

I will check with Trevor to find out if/when he might get the cowl/covers remade and will let you know.

Apologies again for all the confusion - put it down to my age!

Adie

• Agree Agree x 2