Featured Revisiting The Quickshifter After Nearly Two Years, Here’s What Happened

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by SteveRS, Apr 22, 2021.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SteveRS

SteveRS First Class Member

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Oh yes I know all to well. It would even happen at lower RPM’s.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. XCaTel

XCaTel Senior Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Ireland
    The QS on my 2018 Tiger 1200 has worked perfectly from day 1 and still does now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    That’s awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. andyc1

andyc1 Lunarville 7, Airlock 3

Feb 4, 2017
    N. Ireland
    Ktm has a great system, it doesn't have a predetermined kill time. As far as I'm aware it cuts the ignition as normal when pressure is applied to the shifter. It doesn't come back on until it senses that it has engaged the next gear. I remember reading that somewhere and believe its true because sometimes you can feel the shift take a little longer than usual if your gentle with a shift. I cant remember ever having a false neutral with my last superduke in nearly 20k miles and I use the quickshifter a lot, even up and down between 1st and 2nd. On a couple of occasions it felt like the gear didnt engage properly but still shifted without issue but didnt register the next gear on the dash. Another shift brought it back to normal. The new one feels the same, even a little crisper!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bentos

Bentos New Member

Nov 5, 2020
    Somerset
    Hi @SteveRS. In your first post you say....”Initially I never adjusted it because there is supposed to be a specific length for the quickshifter rod to work properly, so I never adjusted it. That didn’t turn out to be true either.”

Have I missed some chat on the subject of adjusting the shifter angle / rod length? I asked my dealer to adjust it down a couple of mm at the 500 mile service, but he said: No, must NOT be adjusted.

PS, my quick shifter works great both up and down, but I have fallen into the habit of flicking the throttle when changing up into 5th and 6th (as in an old fashioned clutchless upshift) It just seems to slot into the next gear more sweetly that way.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snear Dog

Snear Dog New Member

Apr 18, 2021
    The Hague, The Netherlands

Here is my update: I traded the bike in. Roughly 8300 km on the clock. I have to admit the false neutral issue got better and better. I think one false neutral only from 4th to 5th the last 500 km, like a neutral between first and second gear, no dreadful ones. Even from first to second the TSA got perfect. I think it needs to break in. Bit sad that it takes that long for some of us. Without the issue I would have kept the bike for many many years!

(Off topic: I went for the 1200rs, very agile bike and corners quicker. Quick Shifter is amazingly good, feels a bit sticky perhaps in the beginning. Below 3.500 RPM the 1050 is smoother. I still like the looks of the 1050rs and miss the rough sound coming out of the Arrows. Giving the throttle a quick twist in 3rd – everybody in traffic is awake again. To me the 1050 is the true hooligan. At moment I don’t pass 7k RPM on the 1200rs but it seems I goes really fast quickly without any effort or too easy without noticing. I liked the display on the 1050rs much better (I don’t care about pixels, cruise control speed is hardly to read for me) and I miss the usb port. Don’t get me wrong I am very happy with 1200rs and today my EP tail tidy is arriving from the UK. I noticed it is out of stock again. )

Cheers to SteveRS and you all, drive safe!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    To be honest I’m not sure anymore. I have mine adjusted and it still is working fine. I have had a couple of false neutrals from 4th to 5 th, but it hasn’t tried to make an up shift thank god. If it’s working fine then leave it alone, unless it not in the right spot for you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteveRS

Jan 12, 2019
    British Columbia
    Congrats on the 1200.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. xorbe

xorbe Noble Member

Jan 27, 2021
    CA, USA
    My 765 RS would drop me into 2nd from 3rd, that was always alarming, and of course only happened with full throttle ... I don't understand how that's even possible, I thought there was some kind of detent gear in there.