Featured Potential New Triumph Owner

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by HMC_MT, Nov 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #161 speedrattle, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    you probably have the old CEI thread in the AAU. your 69 engine should have UNF threads, i would have thought, but earlier AAUs will still fit and maybe you have one.

look through your boxes of partz. what you are looking for is a shouldered stud that supports the alternator on the other side, one of three. the stud has different threads on each end. one of the same age as the AAU should thread into it.

once its in, grip the stud with a pair of vise grips and then give the vise grips a sharp tap tap tap from behind to break the taper.

there may be other bolts in there that have the zame thread

there are more brutal ways of getting the AAU off but try the gentle onez first

• Like Like x 1
  2. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    I did dig through my stuff hoping for a slide hammer. No luck on that and I really honestly didn't know what I was looking for, basically anything that threaded in there lol. I just figured better to stop than screw something up. I'm trying to hold the record for longest Boyer ignition install. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Lol, longest Boyer install is a far better record than "i messed up" :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #164 speedrattle, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    what lots of people do routinely is to carefully hold a piece of wood against the cam and then tap it sharply sideways with a light hammer. i dont like that because the AAU is tapered into the end of the exhausr cam and it isnt supposed to go sideways.but people do it.

if its not super tight that should be okay

• Like Like x 2
  5. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Hell of a good way to start the day! Unfortunate part is now I have to go to work. :) Was just a matter of improper thread pitch. I'm getting better at this patience bullsh** :)

IMG_20210326_093844123.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    they make an actual puller that pushes against the cam nose rather than pulling against the thrust surface of the cam bearing, but ive nevrer used one. often you can just thread in a bolt and wiggle it by hand

save all those old parts in case 1969 ever comes back again

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes as a last resort i have seen that done :), i invested in my little slide hammer ages ago as i fit a lot of EI kits for customers and they often like to help out even if its only making tea and it looks far more professional when you pull out a trick little slide hammer to do the job.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

#168 Iron, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2021
    If you are stuck then a small length of smoothed down bolt into the advance unit onto the end of the cam and then reuse the bolt just taken out to press onto the inserted bolt. Tighten up and a little tap with a little hammer and off it pops. If not then tighten a bit more and a bit bigger tap with a bit bigger hammer. I have lots of hammers right up to a 14lb sledge, so this always worked.
    However, I did invest in one of these and it never fails to impress onlookers. But you mustn't say "watch this", you have to busy yourself with something and watch for them to be watching. Well worth the ten or so squids:

s-l400.jpg

And as it's got a different 5/16 thread, 20 and 26 (I think) it fits early and late and middle models :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Do I need to worry about the little tit that corespondents with the advance unit taper? The Boyer magnet doesn't have a taper. Doesn't seem like it's restricting rotation at all but wasn't sure. Nothing in the instructions at all about it.

10. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Not a problem with the new trigger plate spinner, just make sure the retaining bolt is not to long as i have had to cut them down an 1/8th in the past on some bikes as they bottom out and don't clamp the spinner to the cam taper.

• Like Like x 2
  11. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Yes sir. Had to take an 1/8" off and we're movin forward!

IMG_20210326_155632337.jpg

IMG_20210326_160643003.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Iron

Iron Guest

Looks like you're getting there.

As a side note and not important until you get it running - it looks as though your oil pressure switch has been removed and replaced with a blanking bolt. Unless there's something rigged up somewhere else I would suggest that's the one idiot light or gauge you need. I make sure I have something on all mine after losing an A75 to the oil gods. Fun fun fun.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Never done plug wires like this. ??

IMG_20210326_164812289.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    If you don't have a plug wire crimper find a local workshop and give them a couple of $ to do it or you could buy one at the worst :-( On a positive note the time out doing this is giving you even more time for that world record in fitting time :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    looks good so far

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Yeah I'm used to wires screwing into the coil but did some searching to see the whole cut back, fold over, crimp job. Found these crimps at work, should do the trick.

IMG_20210327_103134316.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    I'm obviously not finished crimping but this doesn't look right? Just crimp, plug into coil and slide boot up or what? Maybe I should stick to Hondas and Yamahas. :)

IMG_20210328_131126577.jpg

IMG_20210328_131131698.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    #179 speedrattle, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    crimp those two bottom tangs tight around the outer insulation to make sure the copper part doesn't pull off. otherwise that's more or less it, primitive though it appears

this is what you're aiming for, if your crimper will do it:

put the boots on before you crip on the ends. otherwise you will end up saying bad words.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT

Got it done buddy. Looks way better crimped and installed. Coil is mounted, not a show piece but it works. Actually a old coil mount I had in the bin. Blue box mounted on battery box now I'm into wiring it up. Stay with me I'll probably need you! :)

• Like Like x 2