Featured Potential New Triumph Owner

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by HMC_MT, Nov 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Guest

Some lovely machines. What sort of dough did they go for?

You look exactly what I thought you were going to look like, just a cool dude with a Triumph bent. Cash and carried - who'd have thought it. Say hello to the Missus for us and congrats all round from all of us to all of you.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  2. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    congratulations on tbe wedding

bedt wishes

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Those bikes were going for crazy high prices. There was a Vincent Black Lightning that DIDN'T sell as the bid only went to 400,000. I've never seen so many amazing bikes in one place! If you Google Mecum and make a login you can view all the bikes and their selling prices!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iron

Iron Guest

Yep, checked some of the prices, I didn't log in, just the front page. They probably weren't showing the expensive ones to try to suck people in. A rough Knuckle chop for around £10k, X75 for £20k, 1975 Z1 for £14k plus 10% fees (doesn't say on their website but found their fees online).
    Probably why most US imports are those "Barn Finds". There must be millions of old barns in the US just bulging with old Trumpets.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    I sure wish I could find some of those barns!! Triumphs are pretty rare in my neck of the woods. There's an old timer about 6 hrs away with an old desert sled. He kind of disappeared though.

6. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    theres a lunatic near me with a storefront in a smalltown. through the windows he has a cub on a bike lift that i havent seen move in seven years. i spokr to him once when the door was open--he lives upstairs-- and hes got a 60s bonneville chopper in the next room and various others here and there. supposedly theres stuff in his basement, machine tools and a BSA Victor.

noyhing moves. hes got a pacemaker and doesnt ride snymore. when he dies it will likely get scattered or scrapped

• Like Like x 1
  7. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Hopefully not!! Interesting enough I'm building a 62' Cub with a 125cc engine right now. Also had my first experience with an Amal tonight. What a beautiful carburetor! So different than American or Japanese stuff. Had a rebuild kit in my stash so swapped some bits while changing my throttle cable. Here's what I learned:

Amal 389
    240 main jet
    106 needle
    Air/fuel mix 2 out
    Idle 3 out
    25 pilot jet
    Clip - top of 5

All went well but I feared my cable was too short. Gave her a kick and she revved to the moon so I either have a pinch up under the tank or it's just plain too short. No big deal, back at it tomorrow but learned plenty!

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Tiger cubs are fantastic little bikes :) have fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    My bad, 1962 HONDA Cub. Sometimes I forget where I am haha.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Iron

Iron Guest

Like those, was thinking about getting one to do myself. You'll have to let us have a look when it's done, good pit bike when you're racing those Tridents of yours :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Here's a progress pic. Has a 125cc Lifan 4 speed engine now. The purist in me is having a moral dilemma over not running the beautiful stock pushrod 50cc but it will be fun to go 60 haha. I may end up rebuilding the pushrod and bore it out. I just kinda hate Chinese sh**. Sorry not sorry lol.

1 thing I forgot to mention on Triumph. I always thought it strange that my air filter just slid on. After removing carb I realized it is in fact threaded and the piece that threads on to carb has seperated from the air filter. Should I use some sort of adhesive to reattach and prevent air leaks or just run it?

Screenshot_20210521-112456~2.png

• Like Like x 1
  12. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The adapter ring screws onto the carb and a jubilee clip goes around the air filter to hold it to the ring. If you are not happy with the chinky lifan you could always build a 175cc 28 BHP 5 speed Takegawa motor like i did on my last Monkey bike. :)

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    There's a kind of inverse uber-coolness to that! Or is it "perverse"? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Darkman I knew you were a man after my own heart! :). Did you buy that as a complete engine?? That thing is crazy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    I built it using a Honda Nice 110 engine cases with a stroker crank and barrel from TJR and the 5 speed gearbox/clutch, head n cam are Takegawa with a 28mm flatslide Mikuni race carb, i had just the Honda Nice big bore 4 speed first and progressed to later engine in a quest for more speed lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  16. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The first build but with a bored n stroked 4 speed Nice engine.

DSC_0045.JPG

• Like Like x 4
    • Love You Love You x 1
  17. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Seriously nobody has asked top speed? :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    If you are talking about above bikes i gear them to run at 70 MPH easily and 90 plus maxed out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    There is a God. His name is Darkman.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    #240 darkman, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    Not sure about the God bit lol Su n me just like messing with bikes. We have sold all our Monkey bikes in the last few years as we just got to that age that they became uncomfortable to ride sadly and also lack of space after a house move. Here is some pics of a Baja model i built for Su.

DSC_0002d.JPG

DSC_0032.JPG

DSC_0011c.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1