Featured Potential New Triumph Owner

Discussion in 'Vintage Classics' started by HMC_MT, Nov 30, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. speedrattle

speedrattle Senior Member

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    youve done the hard part. make sure you get the input and out wires to the box correct and youve got it.

timing it and making it go is easy.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Holyyyy shiiiit guys it's runninggggg!!! So glad I rechecked everything before starting. I had the damn wires ran through the center of the Boyer plate instead of the groove outside the plate. That would've been terrible. Finding compression stroke and TDC was easy, used the screwdriver trick to find 38 before TDC. She went in 2 kicks. Went back after warmup with a timing light, dead nuts first try at around 4k rpm.

• Like Like x 3
  3. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    there you go. you ll have all sorts of puzzling issues
    going forward, but ignition is no longer likely to be one of them.

• Like Like x 4
  4. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Well shit man that's not very encouraging! Lol:joy:

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Found two new fuel taps in the stash so was gonna swap those out with my new 2 into 1 fuel line fitting. Looks like the left side was reserve, one with elbow that you can tell in pic leaked judging by the length of the gauze filter. My two new ones don't look like either are a reserve tap. I'd like to have a reserve on left but not too critical. Thinking I'll just run what I have (the new ones)

IMG_20210328_184154754.jpg

IMG_20210328_184205876.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Iron

Iron Guest

Ha, sorted. And you feel tip top now. Welcome to proper Triumphland my friend. Goody gumdrops. Tomorrow the world :p

By the way, why does it say "permanent" on your plate. Is it just a saying like "London - fish, chips, cup o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fuckin Poppins, London" or is it a legal thing?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Here in Montana USA you just get a permanent plate that you don't have to renew. A street legal bike only needs a headlight, tailight (brake light) and one mirror to be legal. Which is awesome lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

#188 Iron, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2021
    Nope sorry, non comprehend.

Here a street legal bike has to have a brake light, that's about it as long as it's only used in daylight. If it has a headlight it needs to work along with a back light. But no need for indicators or mirrors, although, strangely, we have to have a small penny sized reflector on the back to pass the required annual safety test. Unless, of course, you are wise and have a vehicle over 40 years old (with no modifications less than 30 years old) as it then doesn't have to have the annual test or pay any tax to the government. Insurance is cheaper too.

But we keep our plate number no matter what. It stays with the vehicle until the vehicle gets scrapped or gets cut up with a hacksaw to make something else.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Interesting! Where is this forum based out of? Was always curious where all you strange talking fellas were hailing from lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Iron

Iron Guest

I assume it's a UK based forum. But one of the moderators would know for sure. (Or someone will be along soon who knows better than me).

• Like Like x 1
  11. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    Well we had our second maiden voyage today and I must say it was much better than the first! Spent proper time putting harness back together and finishing wiring as cleanly as possible. Love that all that cluttered wiring along the front frame rail is gone alone with condensers. Bike starts easier and I can tell a huge difference with the Boyer, much more responsive etc etc. I got a little leakage going on but par for the course. Some atf seeping out the circular cover and a bit of oil underneath so on to tracing that issue but it's not too terrible. Swapping gaskets may help alot but I'm super happy post ignition install.

• Like Like x 4
  12. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    So...am I supposed to adopt this theory that all old Triumphs leak or what? :)

13. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    #193 darkman, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    One thing to look for is if the primary cover nuts at the front have been over tightened as it warps the main cover (i have even seen the cover crack) and the timing inspection plate gasket will not seal, i only use a sealer on the case haves and all the gaskets are just wiped with grease for all the covers, push rod seals are fitted dry and head gasket and all other washers in annealed copper, at the worst expect a dewdrop of oil hanging of the gearbox plunger and drain-level plug at times after a run.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Iron

Iron Guest

Some say that if there's no oil under your Triumph, then there's none in it......That's just not true.

Spend some time tracing the origins and they can be sorted at some point. I've got an engine that seeps from a worn brass bush on the end of the main shaft. I've got a later gear and bush stashed away that will cure the leak. But as it's not too bad, I'll wait until I rebuild the engine/gearbox. However, leaks from engine covers are annoying and as long as you don't mind emptying primary oil/engine oil and getting new gaskets to get at them they are fairly easily remedied. Find the origin, find the cure and climb in.

An oil tight Triumph is cool. Can you dig it?

• Like Like x 2
  15. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    The obvious one is ATF coming out the inspection plate. I had 1 of the 3 bolts missing which was a no brainer but since fixed that. There is supposed to be a gasket there yes? 1 drip spot accumulated at primary drain bolt but is oil, the rest is not so obvious. I do have a primary gasket in the stash so that's worth replacing. Gonna start by cleaning up the underside, go for a short spin then park and start tracing. Also see if it leaks less on the center stand.

Here's some pics, first shows the spots where droplets accumulate. Second I'm wondering if this is my gearbox drain? I may have too much in there as I just topped it off. Also asking to identify what the 3 bolts are on the underside so I know.

IMG_20210403_093038758~2.jpg

IMG_20210403_093251591~2.jpg

IMG_20210403_093234975~2.jpg

16. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    The three bolts are detent plunger, holds spring and plunger, oil drain and level plug, remove all to drain or just small part to check level, followed by the big one that is crank drain plug and filter/gauze left to right. Oil leaking anywhere along the primary will end up dripping in that position as its the lowest, wipe it clean and determine if its the gasket at the front timing cover blowing back or the main cover gasket. In all fairness if you are just getting a little drop like that after a good run recheck rightness of bolts/screws and then live with it until you have to remove a cover for other work.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Iron

Iron Guest

#197 Iron, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
    Edit - took me so long to write darkman got there before me, but here it is anyway:

Picture One - looks like it's a leak from the primary case and/or primary chain adjuster bolt (the long necked bolt in the primary case top right of your picture). The other drips from the frame could be leak from oil seals on the main shaft either on the gear box side (behind the front sprocket) or on the primary side (behind the clutch). Clean it all off and try to trace after a short run. Feel with your fingers up both sides of the front sprocket (the front of the chain).

Picture Two - is the nut holding the outer gearbox case (it should be a domed nut) it's not the gearbox drain.

Picture Three - the large long bolt on the left is the gearbox cam plate index plunger. Essentially a point on a spring that slots into the cam plate at each gear. The cam plate is turned when you use the shifter which moves the gears into the correct position, this plunger holds the cam plate in position.
    The smaller bolt in the middle is the gearbox drain plug and level tube. The gearbox is filled through the slotted plug above the kick starter (as shown in your picture two). Once filled it will spill out of the tube held by this bolt. You'll get a drop or two through this when you get out there and bomb around in the future.
    The large bolt on the right is the sump plug. This is where you'd empty the sump and attached to this is the crankcase filter. Inside which is the scavenge tube that the oil pump sucks on to return oil to the rockers and oil tank.

By the way, you can see the numbers stamped into the bottom half of each of the crank cases. It looks like 123 on one and 627 on the other. Shows your bike as a bitsa, these are normally matching numbers. The builder in the Triumph factory would have a pile of crank cases that he would pick out of to match two halves. These cases are roughly cast and need some fettling and an experienced eye to fit perfectly together. Once he had achieved this he would then stamp the numbers as a matching pair. There's nothing wrong with not having matching numbers (I have a mismatched pair running on one of my bikes at the moment) and they snap together luvly when I rebuilt the engine. It's just something to be aware of and to watch out for as your leaks could be the crankcase joint.

Looks like you are going to be climbing into this engine. It's nothing too drastic and nothing to get in a panic about. This is usually what all triumph engines look like, and a lot worse, when I get them. They are all over 50 years old by now. Run it around for a while, you'll get fed up with the drips on the floor, and when you feel like climbing into it. We'll help you with the spannering but you'll have to have the bleeding knuckles. :)

First shake down run on one of mine today, got this, as well as the same as yours under the primary. Bit still to do then :p

00001.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. speedrattle

Feb 19, 2021
    appalachia usa
    is tha hole driiled in the fin on the head?

19. Iron

Iron Guest

#199 Iron, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2021
    T140 10 stud heads originally came with a rubber dowel insert that travelled through all of the fins, I think Triumph tried everything to lessen vibration. I haven't seen any heads with the rubber still in for ages. I can't think that it helped much.
    I have seen heads drilled with rows of holes that look pretty neat, this is a nice detailed green digger (I don't get/like diggers but a nice bike). Not mine by the way.

gypsy rose digger.JPG

Sorry, way off thread :expressionless:

20. HMC_MT

HMC_MT Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2020
    Billings MT
    I guess the key is to park it on the center stand. :) I put it on the center stand before I work and put new shop towel down and not a drop. But, I still have to wipe everything clean, go for a spin, and then put up again on center stand to see. For now I found a points cover gasket, put that in (not that any leaks would be there) just nice addition and will do primary gasket without overtightening. What was called the primary chain adjuster bolt is what I pulled to drain primary (I THINK) I'm just going off my pic right now. Did I screw up chain tension maybe? No that I know which is the drain for gearbox I should drain that and refill to spec as I just topped off before and may have too much. Should be a gasket on inspection cover?? I think if I do that, primary gasket, new gear oil at proper level and park on center stand we should be good for now. I'm trying to enjoy the bike, not tear it apart for now. :)

• Like Like x 1