Open faced lid recommendations

Discussion in 'Clothing & Gadgets' started by OnlySon, Sep 13, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. thebiglad

thebiglad Old fart, still riding !

Sep 25, 2013
    Central France
    That IS a TRULY BEAUTIFUL bike you've got there Tez, really the dogs danglies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. TwinPot

TwinPot New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Co Down
    Absolutely stunning. Love it and the helmet!

Moss

• Like Like x 1
  3. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    Superb!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Richard H

Richard H Noble Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Swadlincote Derbyshire England
    I know open face lids look good with certain bikes but if my Mrs had been wearing one in her low speed crash I think it could have been messy.
    FB_IMG_1455474243442.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. jimlowe

jimlowe Member

Mar 14, 2013
    bideford Devon
    I think Roof Helmets give the best of both world only downside is they are a bit heavy,I had this one. a3047bb047436ba2f55d512f5a007dda.image.500x500.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    I have a shark evo 3 and whilst it is a great helmet, my head looks as if it should have other smaller planets circling it, as it looks massive.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    Have to say I have gone backwards as far as helmets are concerned. Recently I said I had bought an open face and thought it made my biking better due to the speed sensation, all round vision and better hearing. Went for a long ride the other week and it pissed down, couldnt see a thing,my goggles kept steaming up and rain drops took my vision away,had to keep stopping to demist and clean the lenses. The other day I was out again and it rained heavily but I had my full face on, no such issues,ok had a little misting but nothing major,plus I could easily wipe the visor from time to time.
    No more open face for me.

8. Mr Toad

Mr Toad Senior Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I've got a Shark Evo, as already said a bit on the big side but you do get the best of both worlds. I've just bought myself an AGV Hi-Jack and wore it in anger for the first time yesterday in both glorious sun and a rain storm of biblical proportions. It's one of the 'Helli pilot" types and I really like it. In particular the internal drop down visor, I have a clear one on at the moment. In yesterday's it performed really well, no misting and great vision.

One thing to be aware of though is size. My Shark Evo is an L and is a good snug fit. The AGV is an M the L was too big.

[​IMG]

upload_2016-10-14_10-59-20.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Watty2016

Watty2016 Active Member

Aug 27, 2016
    Dorridge
    Love the look of it;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. TwinPot

TwinPot New Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Co Down
    Love it Mr Toad.

M

• Like Like x 1
  11. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    I guess Sprintdave you could use the open face for the summer days.

12. sprintdave

sprintdave Nurse,he's out of bed again

May 25, 2014
    Birmingham
    In England,lol ????????
    No,I got caught out by a sudden heavy drop of rain and decided my old facial skin cannot take it any more, shit it felt like it was cutting me and had to slow right down to a crawl.
    With a heavy heart I admit defeat and it is a full face for me now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    I've wore a piss pot for years and years but nothing like a rain storm to make you think :confused:
    even worse is a stone/ gravel from a vehicle in front - ouch doesn't half smart :mad::mad:
    but I still prefer it, even though I have a few Roof full face helmets sitting there,

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    or a big bug hitting your face..ouch! i wear one occasionally but only on my cruiser and only if it's a sunny day

• Like Like x 2
  15. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    I have a Duchinni D501 for my pleasant sunny afternoon plods around the Hampshire countryside and a Duchinni D701 for the more colder rainier days. I guess it is a personal preference, but my face ain`t too pretty so the odd stone in the gob might just improve the look,,,lol, :D:D;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. crispey

crispey crispey creme de la creme

Nov 6, 2014
    Uk
    Well I've decided my faithful open face, the colour matched one, is going to have to go so o have been trying some on, the bells are nice and cheapish, kept that way to try to dominate market, but doesn't quite fit right. Same with Davids, much more expensive, but the shoei JO fits perfectly. Is really light and has an integral visor. Now my dilemma is: do I get the cheaper plainer one and get it sprayed like my old one
    IMG_0828.JPG

or get the more expensive with better paint and graphics

IMG_2074.JPG
    Price difference would be around 80-100 quid extra for sprayed one. Advice needed!

17. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    OOhh have to say I like that looks good !! So in answer to your dilemma I would -
    Save your money go for the graphics try something NEW :cool::cool: on a plus note you wont have completely
    retired your colour matched lid bring it out now and then on slow rides on sunny days :D:D

18. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    It`s so hard when you have to part company with your old helmet, :D:D:D:D:p:p

19. PompeyMark

PompeyMark Senior Member

Sep 12, 2016
    Portsmouth
    What TEZ said. Nice looking helmet there crispey.

20. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    like the look of that one Crispey,is the visor fixed or does it slide up out of view?