Featured Nitron Shocks And Forks Now On Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph Twin Power' started by SpeedTwin1200, Sep 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    That looks soooo much better than the original chrome thing. The Street Twin has got a similar chrome yoke nut, which I'd love to be rid of. So a couple of questions for you..how much was it? Can you measure the width of your original yoke nut please (I want to see if it's the same as the ST)? What's the part number on the packaging (don't tell me you've already thrown it away..I mean recycled it)? Cheers.

2. SpeedTwin1200

SpeedTwin1200 Senior Member

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/view/T2049880

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DRAPER-EXPERT-SQUARE-DRIVE-SOCKET/dp/B0002BUO8K

I think those two links should answer your questions Beerkat. I think the M25 is the thread size on the inside of the new nut and it is the same dimensions as the original chrome nut and so the 1 1/2" socket fits both.

This is where I copied the idea from...

The torque figures he mentions are correct I think, well, the same as I'd seen listed elsewhere from a copy of a Haynes manual.

IMG_1473 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    SpeedTwin1200, Could I ask what the settings your shocks were set up with for your weight?

4. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    I've just looked out the Service record card. I'm still around 70kg, not sure what my helmet and leathers weigh on top of that. I think I said I'd have an occaisional pillion of similar or less weight and mainly riding sensibly/quickly on the road. I have been around Thruxton since though.
    The rear spring rate is 16-24 N/mm according to the card for the NTR-R3 twin shocks. I've been tweeking the rebound and Hi/Low compression since and pretty happy with it now. I've changed the preload too to set up sag etc and it is easily changed for a pillion too. And the forks have a spring rate of 9 N/mm. I've no idea how that compares to stock. Again, I've got adjustment for preload, compression and rebound and have been tweeking those +/- from the base settings Nitron gave me.

I highly recommend them for their service and quality of the shocks/forks. Better than Ohlins in my opinion.

Also fitted the Triumph fork brace.

5. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    The fork brace compresses the rubber boots a bit and I tried the fork alignment check too. All seems well and I've never really suffered brake squeal. Thanks for the suggestion.

IAM Skills Thruxton 0920_6791 copy.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    SpeedTwin1200, It was the settings off your service card I was after, my shocks were originally set for 80-85Kg but I'm now closer to 70Kgs and I'm running a 22mm gap between the top of the adjusting ring and the underside of the top mount casting and am hoping to reset the rebound hi/low comp setting to a new baseline and go from there.

7. SpeedTwin1200

Jul 21, 2019
    Hampshire
    My rear preload is 21mm, measured in the same place, the threaded section basically. It wasn't written on the service card but I've kept a little notebook of all the settings I've tried. I've measured for sag etc, but my principle guide has been to put a small cable tie on a damper shaft and check that it doesn't go too close to the bump stop during normal riding and it gives you a quick way of seeing how much of the available travel you are using. I stiffened it up by adding 5mm (26mm) to that for a 60kg? pillion which seemed to be about right.

The settings I was given as a base point was -14 for rebound (screw it all the way in and then back it out 14 clicks), -12 for Hi Compression and -8 for Low Compression. I always use the method of counting the clicks out from full hard (or screwed in all the way).
    I'm currently on -15 rebound (out of a possible 24 clicks), -11 hi speed and -8 low speed (which both have 16 clicks available).

If you have the same Nitrons as me, I'm sure you know about the tiny plastic grub screw set into one of the holes in the adjuster ring. I bought a 3.0x50mm flat headed screwdriver for the job and you should have a tool to turn the ring when it's too stiff to turn by hand.
    Hope that is what you need.

8. Kinjane

Kinjane Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Bristol, Land of Enger
    #28 Kinjane, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    Yes thanks. My 1mm zip tie sits 8mm from the rubber bump stop so I'm happy with the amount of shock I'm using - I just got a little lost with the settings having misplaced the record card.

Edit.

Just checked and found I'm not too far from those baseline settings which would undoubtedly be better for me in the Summer when the shock oil is a little warmer and thinner. I still have the stock front end and am currently running:-
    -15 Rebound
    -13 Hi comp
    -10 Lo comp

Thanks again for your help.

• Like Like x 2