Newbie Needs Help (camchain Off Crank)!!

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by antreas skourides, Dec 7, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Happy new year by the way!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wishbone

Wishbone First Class Member

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    possibly a connection at Starter?

You have turned the engine over by hand to see it is running free?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    If it is running free, just use a jumper from battery live to starter feed and see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
  5. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Update: i have 12.8v going to the starter motor when I press the starter button. Next step is to remove the starter and check it. It's weord because it was working before disassembly...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    And the engine turns freely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Thanks! I'm trying my best. It should be on the road soon. The best part of the story is that now I know the engine inside out! At the moment I'm getting educated on the electronics !

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Arno triple

Arno triple Senior Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Netherlands
    You can try removing starter and, once firmly fixed on your workbench, connect power directly from external battery. Just to make sure starter is fine.

Btw: does your voltage drop when you try to start? If not: starter failure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Yea
    H, that's what I'm doing next. That would be a 5 minute job but I have to drain the oil, remove the exhaust, etc, so i can remove the starter...

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk

Can you short across the starter to start it ,then eliminate it for the equation, without removing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Antreas.
    When you rebuilt that head you did pour some oil in around the chain and the lobes this lubricates and eases first start so as it doesn't start dry. You have checked all the relays you say like the clutch switch and side stand. And made sure the bike is in neutral. Did you try rocking it back and forth in a gear just to ensure the engine is free or perhaps try a bump start if you are confident the bits in question are all free but make sure the clutch is free before again by rocking in gear to free the plates. You have done all the hard work so I'm sure you will be there in no time atall. Keep us all in the know.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Sprinter

Sprinter Kinigit

Aug 17, 2014
    uk
    Is it earthed??

• Like Like x 3
  13. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Your battery may have died off the bike....

What voltage reading do you get between the battery terminals with the starter button depressed? It gives a rough idea of the amps being drawn and if it sinks below about 9.5v your battery either needs charging or replacing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Hello everyone, Thank you for your support. I removed the starter and tried it. It was dead, so I opened it up. It was full of oil!! My first thought was that the shaft seal failed. And I was right. I closed it up again, placed it upright and poured some penetrating oil on the shaft and seal.

The oil just went in the starter motor. I called my local Triumph dealer who told me I had to purchase the complete starter motor ($800) !!! hahahahahah. After a few hours of research I found out that the shaft seals on those denso starters are made by NOK.

However, you cannot find a replacement using the part number that's on the seal (ACO5821). After going through some cross reference books, I found out that there is a replacement by Denso and the part number is 949150-1660. I will know for sure when I receive the items.

I bought 3 seals just in case and the cost was $6 per seal (plus 9$ shipping- I also bought the brush assembly (hoping it's the same).

I took a few photos so that everyone understands what I'm talking about but my daughter dropped my phone in the oil pan (which was full of oil) so now I need a new phone! lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Battery is brand new and was checked. Thanks

16. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Yes I checked that too.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wishbone

Nov 4, 2018
    Essex UK
    I t just seems to get better for you, and now the Phone!!

How much are the seals for that? hope it aint an Iphone!!

At least its getting close to running. Good luck with the starter refurb.

• Like Like x 1
  18. antreas skourides

Dec 5, 2018
    Connecticut, USA
    Update: could not wait for the seals to arrive (1 week) and went through my parts containers and found a honda cb550 kick starter seal that was the same size. It worked perfectly. Now the starter is back on the bike.

I will put some oil and gas and give it a try!

Thanks everyone!

• Like Like x 2
  19. TEZ 217

TEZ 217 Crème de la Crème

Mar 6, 2016
    south shields
    Ha Ha you seem a very practical guy no matter what comes your way, although I cant help with your problems I am enjoying reading this and look forward to your updates good luck Sir

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tiglet

Tiglet Vintage Member

Mar 28, 2016
    Cheshire
    Fingers crossed that she’ll fire up and run like a dream.

You sure could do with some good luck to start the New Year :sun:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1