New T100 Owner

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by Russell Stroup, Nov 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Reynolds

Jun 26, 2020
    Browns Valley CA
    congrats Russell from another new T100 owner - wonderful m/c! You may want to consider the Triumph brown comfort seat which lives up to its name and is gorgeous to boot, would look great with that color scheme, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Russell Stroup

Russell Stroup Noble Member

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    David,
    Thanks, I’m really enjoying it so far. I’ve already got my list started for accessories ; )
    I’m going to leave it pretty stock. I think they got the looks of this one right. I’ve been followed into parking lots by guys wanting to check it out lol. Looking at British Customs Sleeper Pro exhaust, it’s a little quiet now. One piece at a time...Ride Safe

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Russell Stroup.
    Great intro and fantastic picture of the steed. Welcome to the family here in the Triumph Asylum.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Thx I’m really enjoying it, and the forum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Highwayman Nico

Highwayman Nico Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    Welcome Russell, what a beautiful bike!

I fully understand the temptation to go out and mod (or "farkle") up your bike, but I suggest you get more miles on it (and set the stock suspension up for your weight) before you throw too much money at it. You will enjoy the farkles more once you have a better baseline.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Nico,
    I’m obviously very new to this bike and riding in general. I’ve put almost 600 mile on it since I’ve had it. I’m 190 lbs any advice on where I should set the shocks to start? Pennsylvania roads are notoriously bad so I wouldn’t think I would want them too firm. I didn’t even consider a shock wrench, I’m pretty sure I have one from my old Honda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Highwayman Nico

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    #27 Highwayman Nico, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    There is a good guide on a sticky here:
    https://www.thetriumphforum.com/threads/suspension-setup-a-simple-guide-to-help-you.18373/

My quick and dirty, was to go softest factory setting, then click it up until it felt planted but not skippy. I've got ~50 lbs on you so I usually need to with less preload for my wide load! :joy:

Also, good on you for checking out the forum. Some other recommendations if I may, take an MSF class (if you haven't already) and read everything you can get your hands on while you are not riding over the winter. Some books that helped me include:
    Proficient Motorcycling & More Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough (I consider these the motorcycle bibles)
    More performance oriented stuff:
    A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code
    Total Control by Lee Parks

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hi Russel and welcome to the forum :cool: nice ride, T120 comes with centre stand and they are worth getting for cleaning and maintenance

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Highwayman Nico

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    Totally wish I had a center stand on my speedy. First bike I've owned without one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    500 miles in 2 weeks since I picked up my T100, I’ve been riding it every chance I get. I even have my girlfriend trained to open the gate in the driveway when I get back :p
    I’m still learning to ride, but get more comfortable every time out.
    A couple of questions:
    I’m shifting pretty well but get stuck going from 2nd to 3rd quite often. I’m sure it’s just timing but that’s the only one giving me trouble. Any thoughts?
    The rear tire has a slight flat center. I’m guessing a new rear is going to be needed? The front tire is fine.
    The only other issue is it’s a little jumpy at real slow speeds but I’m getting that figured out too.
    Overall I’m very pleased with my bike. Great fun, gets looks like a supermodel and got the approval of my neighbor who has 3 Bonnies, well 4 if you include his wife, Bonnie...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Highwayman Nico

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    I've got about 500mi on my new to me Speed Twin. I noticed that I have to be much more gentle with the throttle (it's throttle by wire) than on my last bike. Last two days I really felt like I have started to get it down. It just took some getting used to it. As for 2nd to 3rd, I find 3nd to be my most common gear, for 35-50mph. I try to go with what feels right for the bike, you can do 30mph in 2nd, or 10mph, part of why I love Triumphs, they always seem to gave have power. (My Tiger 800 could do 60 in 2nd without redlining, crazy) With my ST, I tend to change gears once it gets in the upper 5k -low 6k range. If it drops in sound and chugs a little, you switched to early, lol.

Eventually you stop looking at the tach to decide when to change gears, on only to satisfy curiosity. (For crusing around on the street.)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jeff Standley

Jeff Standley Member

Nov 12, 2020
    California,
    I like it aaaa....Lot

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Thank You

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Hi Russell,

I wonder if you can answer a question for me. I see you have a small bell shaped object hanging from the front frame rail of your T100. The T-bird 1600 I imported from Maine recently also had 2 of these on it and I was wondering what they represent?

Thanks,
    Damien.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Damien,
    It’s supposed to be a good luck gremlin. It was left on there by the previous owner. I had to ask about it myself.

Russell

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rich Bryce

Rich Bryce Dead Eye Dick

Sep 18, 2015
    Bedford
    Welcome aboard Russell. Good choice. Enjoy the ride and stay safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Russell Stroup

Nov 10, 2020
    Pittsburgh Pa
    Rich,
    Thx I’m really enjoying it. I waited quite a while to find a bike like this, in this color and condition. It was worth it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Highwayman Nico

Nov 7, 2020
    Denver, CO USA
    I always thought those were a Harley thing. Only ppl I knew with them were HOGs, they will sell them as charity fundraisers.

They are supposed to jingle and scare away gremlins that plague Harleys and make parts fall off and shit. You wisely chose a Triumph, probably don't need it!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Damien

Damien Recovering sportsbike addict
    Subscriber

Oct 2, 2020
    Carlow, Ireland
    Thanks Russell, I thought that might be the case so I left them in place.

Cheers,
    Damien.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Martine

Martine Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2020
    Athens Georgia
    Russell, hi from another newbie to the forum and new T100 owner. Congratulations on a bee-u-tee-ful bike! I heartily second the suggestion to take a MSF riding course. I took one 20 years ago and there are words from the instructor and course that have stuck with me. My husband had over 30 years riding experience at that time and gave me a great start and was wonderfully patient and supportive but the course hits all the right points and doesn't inadvertently pass along any subpar habits. Love that color scheme!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1