Welcome to The Triumph Forum

The World's busiest Triumph Forum. Join this amazing group of people and start discussing the thing that we all love, Triumph Motorcycles.

Featured Suspension Setup - A Simple Guide To Help You

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Bad Billy, Apr 4, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member
    Subscriber

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    I was looking to help @Ron Ashurst with his suspension set up yesterday, there is loads of info on the net about this, but I have found this guide simple to follow and effective so thought I'd share.

I printed this off in 2001, the link to the page is long gone or I would have directed you to it, I have set up every bike I have owned since using it, as you can see from the scribblings on the page!

Suspension set up isn't a dark art, follow the guide & it's easy to get the bike dialled in, hope this helps some of you.

P1.JPG P2.JPG P3.JPG

• Useful Useful x 7
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst Drain Bamaged
    Subscriber

Thanks mate. Just printed that off actually. Hope to get it done this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  3. mpllineman

mpllineman Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Me Too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  4. DanielB

DanielB Member

Jan 13, 2019
    Abingdon
    What a useful post. I will certainly give it a go!

A couple of questions...

Taking readings 'a' and 'c', can this be done using the centre stand - with the bike lent forward or rear to take the weight off the relevant wheel?

Secondly, and this is a more general question from a sedate big bike rider... What difference am I likely to actually feel? Are these subtle and bespoke differences that only the most attuned rider would feel; or big obvious changes in ride and bike feel?

I have a speed triple (955i) and could tell that the ride was more firm than an old 650 Honda.... But will it ever be wallowing and soft(er) is by its very nature will just be a firm ride? I made the ride as soft as the manual said I could....but my novice bum couldn't really notice a difference!

Very happy to be educated!

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Gled

Gled Active Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester (UK)
    Apologies,

Just realized I can upload a file.

Mods, please delete as appropriate.

Gled.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Red Thunder

Red Thunder First Class Member
    Subscriber

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Many thanks for typing this up, I have saved PDF of it to my bike folder on my phone for later reference:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mpllineman

mpllineman Well-Known Member
    Subscriber

Feb 12, 2018
    Pearl,Ms.
    Thanks indeed for the typing! I read your post the other day and this makes it a lot easier for me to check out the setup on my Scrambler, after some alterations. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 2