Featured New Shocks On Me Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    thanks for the reply I have just looked on the gov.uk site and there is a specific recall for the speed twin the coolant hose is routed wrongly. anyone had it done yet is it a while you wait job. it says 225 bikes are affected.

2. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    No worries. If you go direct to the Triumph site to the Recalls page and enter your VIN number it’ll show any outstanding recalls for your bike

3. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    just checked looks like I am ok

• Like Like x 1
  4. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I have noticed the jerking at steady low revs, but I don’t typically ride longer than a few seconds here so it’s not much of a bother.

5. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    Is the chain guard missing because it won't fit with the K-Tech shocks or you just prefer the look of no chain guard?

6. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks

7. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,

I just fitted K-Tech Razor Lites to my Thruxton 1200S and after seeing the other post about Nitron shocks I had a look and my K-Techs are also hard up against the mounting lugs. Do yours do that on your Speed Twin.

Cheers

8. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    #48 Tosgha, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    OH SH&T! Have just looked at the Ktec rear shocks on my Speed Twin and on both sides the top of the shock is impacted against the lug!

9. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Hi,
    Just replied on the other thread about the Nitron shocks. I've emailed the supplier and K-Tech. This just doesn't seem right to me and if yours do it then I don't think I just got a duff set of shocks. Really annoyed, they are not cheap and should not have basic issues like this. Mind you I would never have noticed if it weren't for the other thread prompting me to have a look. Installation was easy, and it wasn't obvious, never thought to look in behind the top of the shock and you can't see it unless you specifically check.

Shock.jpg

10. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Oh dear, that’s not good. Easy fix though. But shouldn’t have to remove parts of metalwork in order to create clearance. As it is I would be worried whether the top mount is tightened to the correct torque, because of the chassis interference on the top yoke. Send them back, demand a modified shock or full refund.

11. TonyG

TonyG Noble Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Bucks
    Yep, very easy fix from the shock manufacturer, just angle the shoulder more or cut a groove, not what you expect to do yourself on £600 of "direct replacement" shock absorber.

I think the bolt will torque up as it is only just touching on the K-Tech, seems worse on the Nitron though and could maybe invalidate the torque setting.

Will just have to wait and see what they say. Must say I'm feeling pessimistic though, but that's just me I suppose.

Cheers

12. Timothy Peters

Timothy Peters Senior Member

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Recently got my Ktech shocks back, had a bad seal. So fitted them back on and noticed I had .006" clearance between the shock head and frame mount. The bike had 2000+ miles put on it with these shocks on it and never was there shock to frame contact. I did call Ktech, they recommended a bushing be put to space the shock out a bit. So I added a .060" thrust washer between the frame and shock head; the clearance is now at .040". Thinking of changing the .060" for a .030" thrust washer. I wouldn't be concerned with a clearance of .020". Would take a lot of stress to cause enough flex for the two parts to meet.

IMG_20200309_200457.jpg

Having spent 18 years racing MX/XC and spending a couple years pitting for a GT1 sports car team I have done this type of fix many times. Aftermarket is never a perfect fit for OEM, they don't really know the tolerances or if minor changes were made in manufacturing. Should Nitron have known they were really close yes, but between the time they determined the shock head to use and went to market it would have been easy for Triumph to make a minuscule change to the shock peg placement that caused the issue.

My Tec Bike Parts front spring spacers were about 2.000" to tall. Tec found out there was a difference between some of the bikes shipped to the states and the ones in the UK. I was able to modify the spacer and make things work. Once again, aftermarket is never the same as OEM.

13. Vanguard

Vanguard Member

Aug 1, 2019
    UK
    #53 Vanguard, Mar 16, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    Don't fix the problem with washers, there is a recall on these from Ktech and they will modify them to increase the gap then send them back, I had the same problem as have others on here, don't let them fob you off with a fix it yourself bodge, not at this price.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    the shock on the right hand side on my bike was clear … just. But the left hand side was making contact and Ktec have changed the tops on mine so there is about 10mm clearance now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Timothy Peters

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Can you share a pic? I did contact KTech US and they are looking into the issue. Either way I am fine with the set-up as it is.

16. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    only just read this and it is dark now but I will post a pic tomorrow after work.

17. Timothy Peters

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA
    Thank you

18. Tosgha

Tosgha Noble Member

Jul 31, 2018
    worthing
    could only upload two pictures at a time. hopefully this shows you the clearance with the new head.

DSCF0362.JPG

DSCF0363.JPG

19. Timothy Peters

Nov 3, 2019
    Palatine, IL USA