Featured New Shocks On Me Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    never been happy with the shocks from day one what ever setting I put them on if I push hard into a bend the back just starts skipping a bit. I know all the journos that road tested the bike in spain said the suspension was ok but triumph are not stupid the roads they tested the bike on you could double up as a billiard table. but this is the uk. the k tech ones are probably a bit over the top for the bike but there you go. I am also thinking of getting andreani cartridge kits for the front they seem like good kit but half the price of ohlins. shock.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. joe mc donald

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Bob1
    I think the difference being Ohlins have Been at this game for as many years as I can remember and still supply most of the track bikes. Sometimes money is not the important factor. Depends what you expect from the scocks.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  3. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    They look good :) i'm waiting on some YSS shocks to arrive for my bike and chose to go that way as i have had great results with them on another bike, also like you i'm looking at a cartridge set up for the front as i like bump n rebound adjustability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Steve_spike

Steve_spike Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Surrey
    Changed the rear,s to TEC gas shock's and there progressive fork springs.
    Made a massive improvement especially the front end actually absorbs some of the bumps now.
    Only £200 all in front and rear.

• Like Like x 3
  5. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    are the front springs a straight forward swap

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steve_spike

Steve_spike Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Surrey
    Yes just remove the rubbish Triumph cartridge and spring, then put in the new longer one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Don’t you think it’s barmy that you buy an expensive bike and then have to spend hundreds swapping out the cheap nasty Triumph components for something half decent. It’s what really pisses me off with my T120, I’ve had to change the stock tyres after just a couple of thousand kilometers for some decent Avon’s. But I’m not prepared to spend a load of cash changing out the awful suspension.
    Compare this to my Suzuki VStrom. Stock tyres are excellent as is the suspension as is the fueling.
    Triumph are just taking the piss (and our money)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Not if you buy a Thruxton R. It’s already got all the necessary upgrades fitted from factory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Ah but Ken I’m just a cheap skate. Your Thruxton is lovely but a bit too pricey for me.
    Waspy is a keeper but the T120 definitely not

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    I tend to agree with you but its not just triumph all suspension on new bikes are built to a price there a one size fits all. most of the time thats good enough for most people. but a lot of people like to mod and refine their bikes to make them a bit better. there's people that will spend 18 grand on a sportsbike and still swap out the shock for the latest ohlins k tech or whatever thats just the way it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Now you see, I was going to buy the new T120, but after a two hour road test I returned the bike with a few reservations.
    Seat too hard, brakes only adequate, suspension only adequate, but beautiful to look at. I then immediately rode the Thruxton R, all those concerns were addressed for an extra 2K, so I bought one & im very pleased I did

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Now you see, I was going to buy the new T120, but after a two hour road test I returned the bike with a few reservations.
    Seat too hard, brakes only adequate, suspension only adequate, but beautiful to look at. I then immediately rode the Thruxton R, all those concerns were addressed for an extra 2K, so I bought one & im very pleased I did

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Am I the only speed twin owner that has not found the suspension a problem? My bike suspension is stock and for me it has not been a problem. When I had the street twin the suspension was poor and I experienced a marked improvement when I upgraded them with TEC after market suspension.
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    The problem i see is that Triumph fitted the bike with some really nice grippy tyres and amazing Brembo brakes, fine for normal riding but push the bike and the stock suspension starts to complain :-(

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    If I'm spending 18 Grand on a bike I wouldn't expect to have to change major components like suspension. Sorry it wouldn't do for me. If you buy a new car you wouldn't expect to have to change the seats, the suspension or the tyres or the ECU because it so jerky. It's just not acceptable
    It's my fault for buying a duff bike.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ken walburn

Ken walburn Noble Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Essex
    Where did 18K come from?Mine was £12000

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    just because it wont do for you it doesn't mean it wont do for other people lol. I was talking to a k tech rep 2 yrs ago and he said that 70 percent of their business was jo public upgrading there suspension.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    They didn't fit the T120 with nice grippy tyres. They fitted tyres which followed every white line and imperfection which frankly made it scary to ride

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. darkman

Oct 26, 2015
    Yes its well known the standard T120 tyres are poo, i was replying to Wessa about the speed Twin bonneville that has Rosso 3's :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I agree with you. It won't do for me

And while people are happy to spend money replacing what I consider major items then bike manufacturers will continue to churn out bikes with low quality components.

• Agree Agree x 3