Featured New Shocks On Me Speed Twin

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by bob1, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BonnieCat

BonnieCat Crème de la Crème

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yep they're good tyres. They were on the Speed Twin I took out for a test ride a few weeks back.
    I ended up getting Avon's for the Bonnie which are not too bad

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Good news about the Avon tyres :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    I guess I must be riding mine like a pussy then, as I said not found a problem with it as stock.....
    Wessa

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    not sure what sportsbike you're buying for £12000 even a basic fireblade is £16000.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. In my own world

In my own world Senior Member

Dec 22, 2018
    West Sussex
    As per the comment made by the OP about Juno's. They get a nice holiday in Span. Staying in the best 5 star hotel with everything included. Ride the bikes on selected dry roads that will show the best in the bike, never in the wet. Then after given freebies and flown home in business class. No way are they going to give a damming review on the bikes after the treats they have been given. If they do, it's a long time waiting to be asked again by the manufacturer. Take Clarkson, he slated Ferrari after a test week. He didn't get asked to test one of their cars again for 5 years.

As for bike seats these days, why are they mostly thin slices of foam? The 70s, 80,90s bike had nice thick padded seats. Fashion over purpose again. When i was a dispatch rider in the 80s. Like most only changed the shocks when they were worn out. The originals worked well. Don't get me started with OE tyres. You used to buy a new bike and then straight around to the tyre fitters.

Are we all just too fussy about the bikes we buy now? For me, if i buy a new bike i wouldn't expect to strip it down just to make it comfortable or handle well. Are other makes of bikes just as bad as i read on this forum?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. PH1969

PH1969 Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Northampton
    All the money gets spent on Euro 4/5/6 regs and there's not much left for tyres and suspension anymore

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steve_spike

Steve_spike Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Surrey
    To be fair theirs nothing wrong with the ST standard Triumph suspension, give it a nice smooth road surface its fine and probably better than the talent of most riders.
    The issue is the roads around my area are bloody crap, and the standard suspension is just to firm.
    Hence I changed it and £200 is not a fortune, given the bike was only £10,500 in stock trim, compared to the price of theThruxton R with its Olins you cant really argue.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Well I find my spirit of 59 Bonneville perfect. Handles well and rides perfect in all conditions. Now I am no longer a ton up rider but I don't sit still either. I have done a couple of 100 mile trips and the seat seems fine. The only thing I have changed is the cans and only as the dealer said they would rather I put the original cans back on my 1200 before I traded it. So I put them on the 900 59 bike. But I love it. I would probably change shocks but only for vanity sake as I like chrome or stainless nothing else.
    Ride Safe
    Joe

• Like Like x 5
  9. Stevee

Stevee Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London uk
    No, you're not. I can not fault the bike as standard overall.
    I have done around 1500 miles on my ST and think its a joy to ride.
    I have 1200 tiger as well and have owned an assortment of various makes and types and had never owned a triumph until about a year ago.
    I do wonder what site i am on sometimes, when i have a look on here? The way some of the suspension and handling/tyres are criticised, its like being on some raceing forum, or the Panigale forum. The speed twin is just what it is, a better looking and better performing bonnie for cruising around on. Its no sports bike, but does the job it was aimed at perfectly well.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Thanks Stevee, good to know I'm not the only one...

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bryf

Bryf Guest

#31 Bryf, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
    So because suspension, handling etc is of no interest to you then are you saying no one should be posting this kind of stuff on this site??? these issues are important to some people, you do not need to read posts that hold no interest for you but let others pass on their thoughts and findings as it may help others that are not happy or indeed that are having issues or problems in these areas! also everybody has different riding styles, just cruising around doesn't suit everybody, and the speed twin was made for more than that in my opinion, just saying :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Stevee

Stevee Member

Aug 13, 2018
    London uk
    #32 Stevee, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Not at all, i was merely agreeing with Wessa in the main that there isnt much, if anything wrong with the bike. He asked the question "am i the only one who hasnt found the suspension a problem"?
    In short, the bike is, what it is.
    You have to take the post in the context it was meantt. Understand, just saying.
    Silence............. hmmm............... what a bell.

13. MTBskier

MTBskier Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Las Vegas, NV
    I’m with Wessa, I haven’t found a problem with the speed twin suspension, or any part of the bike, and I consider myself a fairly aggressive rider. I have not taken the bike to the track, and maybe then I could find fault, but on the roads it has handled very well. Yes everyone is different, and has different preferences. But for me the speed twin has performed near flawlessly. Beautiful machine!

• Like Like x 1
  14. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    I rode the Speed Twin and it was streets better than the basic T120. If I’d bought a Street Twin I wouldn’t be complaining.
    The main thing now I hate about the bike is the terrible fueling. I can live with the hard seat and below par suspension but the fueling is still bad even with a booster plug fitted.
    It’s going in next week for the cabling recall and I’ll ask them if there’s another ECU map they can use to make it better.
    I do love the looks of the bike as old school styling is my favorite, but I can pootle around in 3rd gear on the VStrom at 25kms an hour without the bike jerking or complaining and so it’s more relaxing to ride and it’s why I use it 99% of the time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steve_spike

Steve_spike Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Surrey
    Not finding this with my ST runs well at 30 mph in any gear right up to 5th.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steve_spike

Steve_spike Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Surrey
    I have had the T120 and T100 as loan bikes, tbh there not in the same ball park as the Speed Twin.

17. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Exactly. The Speed Twin is awesome. The T120 isn’t without spending a lot of money on it.

18. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Can you please provide details of this x pipe
    Thanks

19. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    what cabling recall.

20. BonnieCat

Feb 20, 2016
    Netherlands
    Triumph have issued a safety recall for many of their Street Twin and Bonneville T100 and T120-based models to fix a fault with the headstock tidy which could cause damage to the wiring loom.

Owners are urged to book their bikes in with their local Triumph dealer as soon as possible, where technicians will fix them in "less than 30 minutes." The recall will be carried out for free, including all parts and labour.

The fault concerns the clutch cable potentially wearing through parts of the wiring loom, which could affect the operation of indicator, main beam and in extreme cases lead to a loss of engine power.

A Triumph spokesperson told MCN: "Triumph have launched a safety recall concerning the Headstock Tidy on certain Street Scrambler, Street Twin, Street twin A2 Licence Version, Street Cup, Bonneville T100, Bonneville T100 Black, Bonneville T120 and Bonneville T120 Black to remedy an indicator and main beam malfunction and possible loss of engine power caused by the clutch cable contacting the main harness, causing damage to the wiring within the main harness.

"68,686 motorcycles are affected globally. Any concerned customers are asked in the first instance to contact their local Triumph Dealer as soon as possible who will be able to carry out all necessary work as required at no cost to the owner."

According to The Federation of European Motorcyclists' Associations (FEMA) the recall affects bikes produced between 11 August 2015 and 13 January 2019, however there is no word yet on how many UK bikes are involved.