Featured New Member, New Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Iron, Dec 31, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Iron

Iron Guest

Oooh weenie brake shoes. Vely high quality, no doubt.:neutral:

00001e.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Iron

Iron Guest

#82 Iron, May 16, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2021
    Engine plates still have holes for the long ago swing arm. I believe these are originally from a 6T (Thunderbird), but the holes are obviously not required on this frame

00001.jpg

Cut out a similar thickness round piece and slot it in

00001a.jpg

My welding skills are not neat but they work

00001b.jpg

Bit of grinding and all ready to make pretty

00001c.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  3. Iron

Iron Guest

Rebuilt forks with new stanchions, seals and internals ready for build

00001f.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  4. Iron

Iron Guest

The 'orrible bit, sanding, filling, sanding, grinding and sanding. No fingerprints now and splits in fingers that hurt more than having your arm cut off......but nearly done ready for paint

00001g.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  5. Iron

Iron Guest

And, at last, the worse bit. The frame is all welded up, grinded and sanded ready for a 2 pack primer....hooray :)

00001h.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  6. Iron

Iron Guest

All rubbed and wiped down, de fluffed and ready for the 2 pack primer

00001.jpg

First full coat, after a dusting. Should be gone off in half an hour so will apply another coat and rub down a bit ready for base

00001a.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  7. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    Nice progress Iron, enjoying your hard work :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Iron

Iron Guest

Thanks All. :)

I'll save you all the painting of all the bits, enough to say a few coats of go faster dead cool black. All the bits will receive a good dousing of 2 pack lacquer. While that's all allowed to cure, I'll climb into the engine as there's some stuff to sort with that. I have a plan, that may work, in the gearbox area.

00001.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  9. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    Having never seen one before look what popped up on one of the groups i run :) thought you might like to see it, for sale in the US but no details as of yet.

188671769_10158499082486775_6474462851256456222_n.jpg

• Like Like x 5
  10. Iron

Iron Guest

Blimey, a Triumph Amen Savior Ass Frame!! The same chrome oil bag that came free with the frame, King and Queen, Mustang tank and the tabs moved for the length of the sissy bar. Amazingly the same forks as I had in the late 70s on my Rocket 3 Chop, they also came out of the US. Cor, another throw back with bits bolted on (those absolutely 'orrible HD back fenders) straight out of a custom brochure. Looks like a Tiger engine with a Mk2 Amal, maybe 1979? fits with the frame years but not the wheels.
    It was said that sticking longer stanchions on tipping the engine up like that would cause problems with the front rocker's oil. But there's still plenty of them about.
    Nice one, thanks for showing it. Ugly and Mint :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

It says High Quality on the box so must be true.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Cyborgbot

Cyborgbot Guest

I concur with everything you said, it’s exactly what I was thinking :rolleyes:;):)

My limits of observation are actually:

1) It’s a motor bike.
    2) It’s red.
    3) My Raleigh Chopper looked a little like that in the 1970’s.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Iron

Iron Guest

It says made in "Thailand - land of diversity and refinement" on the box so the quality must be ok. I know the gearboxes, electrics, customer service is a bit off, but blimey, the brake shoes should be ok. (shhhh....I bought another set made in Japan just in case).:expressionless:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Iron

Iron Guest

#94 Iron, May 23, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2021
    Brake shoes all in along with a bit of fettling to get the stronger return spring onto the front hub. PO had fixed with bent nail so did the right thing and put in a split pin.
    Springs re-installed into frame

00001.jpg

00001a.jpg

Back wheel complete with new brake shoes back in. Yes, back tyre on wrong way round by PO but I'll leave that for now as it could really do with a new one.

00001b.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  15. Iron

Iron Guest

Nice new headstock bearings - rather than all those loose ball bearings in grease

00001c.jpg

Yokes and new forks in. Still to get springs and oil in.

00001e.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  16. Iron

Iron Guest

Front wheel and some nice new risers with nice new chrome drag bars. Drag bars have had 2 inches taken off each end to suit the look (whatever look that is?). Continued adventures of Capt. Scarlet rebuilding Capt. Black later......dun, dun, dun, dun da dun.

00001f.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  17. Iron

Iron Guest

#97 Iron, May 24, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2021
    Not a lot going on this episode and didn't climb into the engine as time was limited. So 190 cc or ml of oil into each fork leg, a couple of pumps to prime the whatsits, on with the wheel, in with the springs and tighten everything up. The blue, supposedly main beam, little light will be replaced with a little red light (that is actually wired up) for oil pressure.

00001a.jpg

Then all parked up, comfy like, to await engine.

00001.jpg

Ooops, nearly forgot, got my second vaccine of monkey glands at noon the morrow so may not be much of a day for getting things done.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  18. Iron

Iron Guest

#98 Iron, May 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2021
    Don't feel like doing much but thought I'd remind myself what's needed on the T120 1964 engine.

00001.jpg

It's been rebuilt, twice, in fact. I was told the sludge trap had been done when I bought it, but I took it apart anyway just to check. And, yes, it was all good. So, other than renewing a few tab washers and a new Allen key sludge trap cap it all went back together nicely.
    It has a new Morgo III 750 big bore along with new pistons, all bits that needed doing were done, all oil seals were renewed. And it's done about 60-70 miles since the rebuild.

00001b.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  19. Iron

Iron Guest

#99 Iron, May 26, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2021
    Took a couple of casings off just to check what I've robbed for other projects:

00001a.jpg

00001e.jpg

Needs another Stator, oil feed block is gone and the oil pump is missing. But I've got replacements on the shelves somewhere I'm sure. Then I put it back together, don't feel like it today.

• Like Like x 5
  20. darkman

darkman Crème de la Crème

Oct 26, 2015
    Southcoast of the UK Earth
    That Morgo kit should give it a little more grunt :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1