New Gold Line

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by llg, Nov 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Hello. I'm new to the Triumph Forum and Triumph. I've been riding over 50 years. I won't take delivery until January '22 on a Competition Green/Silver ice Gold Line Bonneville. Looking forward to the forum to gain knowledge of the brand and bike. Lewis

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mrs Visor

Mrs Visor Elite Member

Aug 21, 2021
    UK
    Hi and welcome, that sounds like a perfect cure for the post - Christmas blues!

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Hi and welcome….

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helmut Visor

Helmut Visor Only dead fish go with the flow
    Subscriber

Oct 3, 2018
    Three Counties
    Howdy Lewis :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    What aftermarket company do most use for windshields , passenger backrest etc?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Thanks buddy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dartplayer

Dartplayer Crème de la Crème

Aug 8, 2018
    New Zealand
    You’re welcome. I would love the gold line Speedmaster side panels to match my gold accessories

D8066A7C-5D54-493E-A106-47C344841E8D.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    llg
    Welcome to the family.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 4
  10. David Cooper

David Cooper Triumph Rocketeer.
    Subscriber

11. Sandi T

Sandi T It's ride o'clock somewhere!
    Subscriber

Dec 3, 2018
    Tucson Arizona
    Greetings, @llg! Welcome to the forum family and very soon to the Triumph family. Please share some photos of us when you take delivery. You mentioned that you've been riding for over 50 years but this will be your first Triumph. I'm curious about what other bikes you've owned (and especially those you've loved) over the years. Hope you enjoy the forum!

TTF welcome.png

12. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Thanks all for the warm welcome. As said earlier, I have a deposit on a ‘22 Bonneville Gold Line. Expected delivery around mid January. Been reading forums and watching YouTube to get up to speed on the new bike.

My apologies for possibly not exact year or model name, but here is a list of the bikes I’ve owned.

Honda CT70 clutch (year?)
    1970~ Kawasaki 125 enduro
    1973 Yamaha MX250 (silver yellow stripe)
    1974 Yamaha MX125
    1975 Yamaha XS500 (brown tank)
    1976 Yamaha XS750 e (Red)
    1980 BMW R80 (had several different fairings: S fairing, Luftmeister,and a Hannigan.)
    1990 BMW R100R
    1992 BMW K1100LT
    1994 H-D Electra-Glide
    1996 Kawasaki KLR650
    2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000S
    2010 Honda Goldwing (Full Traxxion Dynamics suspension)
    2019 Honda CRF 250 Rally

13. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Left a couple out.
    CL 175 Scrambler Honda
    Honda XR200

14. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Welcome, IIg!

First of all, congratulations on the new Bonneville. It’s a beautiful, remarkably competent motorbike. You will get regular compliments on its looks from motorcyclists and from non-motorcyclists and it is remarkably easy to ride. Peter Egan (the motojournalist) bought a Bonneville and said that when he brought it in for the 500 mile service it had 640 miles on it because he couldn’t stay off the thing!

Mine is also Competition Green. I’ve made a number of changes to mine since I bought it in 2018. They are listed below with grades for relative merit.

1. Sato Racing crash bungs. Chosen because they are clean and unobtrusive. Grade: A so far mainly because they have not yet been tested.

2. Tubeless tire modification. For me this is the one essential upgrade for the current generation Bonnie. The issue is that if you get a flat, the wheel has to be removed and the tube replaced. On the rear, this means removing both mufflers, and then the tires need a bead break just like tubeless ones! You are not gonna do that on the side of the road.

Tubeless tires can be plugged and reinflated without removing anything. Even if you never intend to take your bike further than the local Thrift-e-Mart, tubeless is better and if you are going on a trip it’s essential.

The OEM wheels are fine with tubeless tires. Nothing needs to be changed there. The spoke nipples aren’t airtight, though, so they need to be sealed.

I took my stock wheels to a local DIY shop (shout out here to the Motoshed in Seattle--the guys there are aces). They took the tires off (remember the bead break is required). I cleaned the inside of the wheels with contact cleaner until they shone. I laid in a layer of 3M sealant tape and heated it lightly with a heat gun to make it all melty and seal up nice.

Motoshed popped on new tires (Bridgestone Battlax T31 sport touring tires from Revzilla, tubeless natch) and blew 'em up for me.

This entire process at the Motoshed took about 90 minutes. It was not hard. I spent more time taking the wheels off (remember, first you gotta take off your mufflers... then you gotta put them back on after) than I did sealing the tires.

I’ve put almost 6K miles on this setup without issues or any loss in tire pressure. Grade: A+.

3. Ohlins TR634 rear shocks from Canyon Motorcycles. Bolt right on (you can easily do this yourself), great price point (Ohlins for $750!) not much change in looks but better ride quality than stock. In hindsight I wish I had gone up one level of quality to the TR 624 piggyback style. Grade: B+.

4. Cruise control. In 2018, Bonnevilles didn’t come with CC. I had to add this and wrapped it onto my purchase when I bought the bike. It’s pricey at $500 installed but worth every penny on a long trip. Believe it, you will enjoy this way more than a set of aftermarket mufflers. Grade: A+.

5. Sato Racing helmet lock. Good God, why don’t modern bikes have helmet locks? What’s up with that? The Sato part is nice, but some asswipe broke it in half and stole my helmet when the bike was parked at a big box store. Grades: Sato A, Seattle petty thieves F (who wants a used helmet?).

6. Triumph heated grips. So sanitary, so toasty on cold days. Don’t leave the city limits without them. The Triumph parts do seem kinda spendy (although again, the installation is seamless and the heating level shows up on the dash which is pretty cool). Grade: B+ simply because of cost, but I would always invest in this mod.

7. Meerkat crossover cat replacement. It’s a beautifully made part, which makes it a pleasure to have on the bike, and an excellent value; when I bought mine it was about $250 US. Meerkats are made by an Aussie named Peter Harrington, whom you deal with directly, and he is a good guy. It’s no big deal that he’s in Australia, because he ships all over the world. The Bonneville seems to breathe easier, it’s definitely lighter, and it sounds great with the Meerkat and stock pipes. Grade: A.

8. Brembo brake upgrade from Canyon Motorcycles. This kit consists of new floating rotors and Brembo calipers. It looks awesome and radiates quality, neither of which can be said for the OEM rotors and anonymous calipers. If I’m honest, though, the OEM front brakes function quite well and this is 80% sex appeal and 20% function. Grade: B- simply because they are stupid expensive. When I bought mine in 2018 they were about $1200; now the site says they are $1,700! I’m glad I have them, but I’m not sure I’d do it for that price.

9. Touratech throwover luggage. I didn’t expect much from these mainly because of the price point (about $350). But they are terrific. Waterproof, light, durable for what they are and no mods need to be made to the bike at all. So when you don’t need them which is most of the time, they are invisible in your shed. Grade: A.

Again, congratulations on buying a great bike. It has limitations as far as outright speed and clearance in the corners, but it is remarkably satisfying to ride and own.

Here is a pic of the Ohlins, Sato crash bungs and Brembos.

93FE0A80-584F-4A0B-9655-6A80383BD560.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Thanks so much for the info. This is why I joined!

Good job!

• Like Like x 1
  16. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    What about a center stand? I’ve heard a tight fit around the back tire.

17. Jet City

Jet City Noble Member
    Subscriber

Sep 24, 2018
    Seattle, Washington USA
    #17 Jet City, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    My bike came with the center stand, and it’s been fine. Useful for chain lube, cleaning the rear wheel and for when you take off the rear wheel to seal your spokes and go tubeless. :grinning:

If your bike didn’t come with one, though, I’d get a Pit Bull stand with the forward handle (a better mousetrap than standard ones with the handle behind the bike) and call it good. You so rarely need the center stand when you are not in the garage.

18. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    Very nice! Does anyone know the model/part # for the stand?

19. llg

llg New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Jackson's Gap, Al
    I forfeited on the delivery of the Gold Line. The dealership where I had a deposit was offering a November sale of 1k$ off. The sale price plus the additional cost of the Gold Line was about 1600$. The difference will purchase a lot of accessories. I ended up with a Blue / Silver T120. Pictures to follow.

Awesome bike!

• Like Like x 3