New Bonneville Thoughts

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by joe mc donald, Aug 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    I have been riding my new bike about two weeks or more. You know I can't fault the bike in any way. Even the suspension seems good and works well. I think Triumph must have been listening to the owners a little more. I need to fit the grab rail as it is scarce of lifting points and I'm afraid I might bend the rear guard. But that's me being clumsy. Overall it really does go well. I fitted the Norman Hyde peashooter pipes and they sound no different to the oem one's. I would like to hear any comparisons any one would like to share with me and of course shiny bits to make the bike exclusive.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Do you still have the baffles in or are they straight through pipes mine sounds well nice up to stock

• Like Like x 1
  3. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Dozers Dad
    Its coming up for a month now. But with the t120 I noticed the vague suspension straight away bike drifted in corners where this 900 feels right and sure footed. RudeBoy the pipes I got don't have the removal baffles and just bolted on. I had them on the 1200 but Bulldog said if I wanted to save some cash just change them over. I don't mind them to much but was hoping for a deeper tone.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #4 Flashp, Aug 17, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    Have a read here: https://www.thetriumphforum.com/thr...-and-de-cat-a-short-review.15140/#post-207399

For sound only you may have been better off just taking the cat out. The Togas with a de-cat and Power Commander from Norman Hyde sound superb. As I understand it these bikes (unlike the 1200) don't have an ECU capable of self adjustment hence the Power Commander being required. There's a video towards the end of that thread.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eastbournemark

Eastbournemark Proud Snowflake

Jun 17, 2017
    Eastbourne
    Hi. I’ve had my T120 for just over 2 years. Overall I really like the bike but I’m not convinced the standard shocks are as good as they might be. A recent ride out at the Wales GMU had me struggling to keep up round the corners in a way that wouldn’t have on my old Fazer. Shocks have been fine for lazy touring and bimbling about, however. I’ve got Vance and Hines exhausts which don’t make any difference but the Boosterplug did make a big difference at slow speeds. I have various bits of bling but definitely the best investment was the chrome risers for the mirrors they work a treat. Enjoy your bike chum. Mark

• Like Like x 1
  6. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    EastbourneMark
    Yes my t120 I found straight away it had poor suspension confirmed by Hagon who were quite disappointed that Triumph didn't get them right. I changed both front and back for progressive and straight away you could feel a difference the bike held the road better and felt confident. Flagship yes I do intend to get the x box later when I know I like the bike which seems to very favourable at present. Not sure about power commander.
    Ride Safe
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Joe, I'm no expert but my own research led me to understand that in order to ensure correct fueling while having both the Toga slip-ons fitted and an X pipe the Power Commander is essential or at least strongly recommended as the T100 ECU can't self adapt. Seek some advice but be advised ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    Flagship.
    I certainly will. As it will be fitted by Bulldog I shall ask them to look into it before fitting. But thanks for the heads up.
    Ride Safe.
    Joe

• Like Like x 1
  9. john tiley

john tiley New Member

Sep 8, 2018
    Ruardean, Glos
    Hey Joe, I had Vance & Hines loud pipes fitted to my T120 'spirit of 59' but still had to remove the end baffles (pointy nose pliers & pull) to make it sound better

• Like Like x 1
  10. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    These are all interesting comments and I am listening. I will check it all out. But generally like the sound of the bike. What I do like about Flashp's vid is that popping on the over run it sounds good to me of course. My bike does not have that.
    Ride Free
    Joe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. joe mc donald

Subscriber

Dec 26, 2014
    slough / burnham
    John.
    Would have loved a sound clip of them. I don't want loud loud pipes just a nice deep tone.
    Regards
    Joe.

• Like Like x 2