Norman Hyde Kit Fitted - Toga's, Power Commander And De-cat - A Short Review

Discussion in 'Bonneville' started by Flashp, Aug 3, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #1 Flashp, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Before I explain what's going on I'd like to be clear that I believe it's most likely installation problems here on my part as far as the blowing connections around the X pipe are concerned and possibly a software (or lack of) on the Power Commander. I've not fitted an X pipe before but was very careful to follow the instructions implicitly and the same with regard to installing the Power Commander. That said, something is clearly wrong. There is a misfire, an EML light on and the X pipe has at least two leaking joints. I thought I could feel the weld along the middle blowing but there are a few leaks down there and it's hard to tell. This is where I thought it might be blowing:

[​IMG]

Video of issue:

I thought I did the clamps up on the X pipe tight enough although I didn't want to go mad. O2 sensor defeat plugs are also installed - these were supllied with the PC5.

I did consider that Norman Hyde have shipped the Power Commanders without software installed but I've found nothing to advise me either way. I'll be ringing them tomorrow, they've been helpful so far. In the meantime, any pearls of wisdom?

Cheers.

2. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    #2 Rudeboy, Aug 4, 2018
    I would hazard a guess that when you have disconnected the 02 sensors the ecu has recognised that they are nolonger there and brought the EML light on I am not familiar with the decat and im assuming that this is a fairly new bonneville, with the tune ECU software and correct interface cable you can go in and switch off the 02 sensors or as I did on my older bonneville maybe you can get the push fit blank resistors to go in place of the 02 sensor plugs just an idea may help as I said not familiar with the newer generation Bonnies ,hope this helps.sorry re read it again you have installed the defeat plugs try unplugging the power commander then running see if the light goes out process of elimination.

3. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #3 Flashp, Aug 4, 2018
    I spent a little while looking at this today and I'm happy to say that I found a mistake I made with the wiring on one of the coils. Easily rectified, but the EML has remained on. I guess a tool or software can be used to turn this off.

As to the blowing around the X pipe, I need to check the clamps as I can hear a rattle from down there. It's more likely to be a problem with installation than a material fault.

Good news is the sound is truly amazing!

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply, it's appreciated.

4. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
  5. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Thanks for those links, unfortunately for me I don't have a Windows laptop. I did wonder if the EML light would go out after a certain number of cold starts if the fault didn't re-occur.

6. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    I did read somewhere on here that it does on your model as I think it’s the later bike mines a 2010 efi good luck with the modifications

7. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    I believe that it should reset after 3 hot / cold cycles

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Good to know. I noticed that TuneECU can run on Android, does that mean via a mobile phone? I'll head off to that site and have a look in a bit.

9. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Not sure m8 only ever used it on a laptop I’d try the hot & cold cycles first give it a good run I’m sure it will correct itself

10. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    Yes its also written to work from an android phone but you may have to get the Bluetooth adapter, never used it and a long time since I read up on it

11. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Well, good news and bad. Good news is I found the blowing joint and the bad news is I need a new gasket. The front right pipe on the X pipe to header has a damaged gasket. This one here:
    [​IMG]
    Shouldn't be expensive but looks like a dealer part. Can't seem to find it on World of Triumph which is surprising.

So, all my problems seem to be of my own making! :p

12. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Well, good news and bad. Good news is I found the blowing joint and the bad news is I need a new gasket. The front right pipe on the X pipe to header has a damaged gasket. This one here:
    [​IMG]
    Shouldn't be expensive but looks like a dealer part. Can't seem to find it on World of Triumph which is surprising.

So, all my problems seem to be of my own making! :p

13. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Seal it up with a good helping of jointing paste as sold in Halfords or any good motor shop

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I went with the Fire Gum suggestion. After some disassembly and sparing application all is well! Best £4-00 I ever spent :)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    I had a ride on the bike yesterday evening and thought it worth putting up my thoughts on this kit.

Quality of finish is as you would hope for, no issues there at all. The black ceramic coating matches the OE finish perfectly. The Power Commander is supplied loaded with a map that was devised by collaboration between Dynojet and Norman Hyde - NH supplied a T100 for this process. Chain maintenance will no longer be a PIA, there is room for normal spanners on the adjusters. No need for cranked spanners or silencer removal.

At idle it has a much more 'full' sound while not offensively loud. At static revved to around 4k it has a very present rasp that is moderately loud - loud enough for a neighbour of mine from the next road to come looking for what was making 'a great noise' while he was sitting in his back garden. Turns out he has bikes and we had a lot to talk about. It's a proper old school loud British bike kind of sound. No popping on closed throttle either.

Riding the bike things have changed. Acceleration in higher gears is easier, the bike will build revs from 2k much more happily and now generates an exhaust note that was not present previously, it's extremely addictive! It's fair to describe it as smoother throughout the rev range and economy appears to be unaffected.

The nett result is that the pleasure of riding the bike has been significantly increased and the bike now looks much more like the original with the Toga slip-ons. It's a fair wedge for the parts but if you're in the market for something like this I'd thoroughly recommend this kit.

I know folk can wax lyrical about something they spent a considerable sum on, even it was a less than ideal outcome. In this case I would be happy to say if I thought I'd spent unwisely. If you've read this whole thread you'll already know I've admitted my own mistakes! o_O:laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rudeboy

Rudeboy Senior Member

May 2, 2017
    Bristol
    Fair shout m8 has the EML light now extinguished itself ?

17. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    No, not yet. I think one or two of my recent starts may not have counted as cold starts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    Checked this evening, lights out now

• Like Like x 3
  19. Flashp

Flashp Noble Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Hants
    #18 Flashp, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Shot this short video earlier, it captures the sound fairly well.

And a couple of stills:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  20. KENNY MCLEOD

KENNY MCLEOD New Member

Apr 14, 2018
    Glasgow
    Hey Flashp thanks for that I like the black looks cool

• Like Like x 1