Featured Mk1 Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Skip, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    I did try Trevor at Sprint for the decals. He has a local company that can produce them and have all the stencils but he didn't have any in stock. He was really helpful and said he could get me some but I couldn't wait the 10 days it would have taken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Morning all, I'm after a favour please. I've been hunting high and low and can't find any of the headlight mountings anywhere, I have made some tubes with welded studs to slide over the forks based on parts diagrams, photos and the like but I'm having trouble scaling off the parts diagram for the headlight brackets. I've got some nice thick aluminium (Aluminum to you Ron ;)) sheet that I think will do the job. Would someone mind measuring theirs and giving me some dimensions, even a little sketch if you're feeling arty, please? Cheers.

Before anyone else says it - yes I'm asking for bracket measurements, it's not a knob size survey!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    PM on its way in 30 seconds.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Hello folks, no photos today but the tank respray is coming along nicely and all this warm weather has been great for curing times, no oven needed! I received the new tank decals today, they look really good but they're bigger than the ones that I had on the tank. I'm hoping it's because the tank I have is from a 92 Trophy but was wondering if someone could confirm the size for me please? 20190724_182206[1].jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190724_182223[1].jpg

Just want to double check they're right before I clearcoat over them. cheers

• Like Like x 2
  6. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hi Skip. Yep, they look pretty much on the money - if anything very slightly (maybe 0.5 -- 1.0 mm) short on the height compared to mine.

Always happy to check these things - and if you can't get me on whatsapp it'll be because I run my ancient mobile on battery saver which, I believe, inhibits whatsapp alerts - then just drop me a text or call.

Good to hear it's all going OK. :)

p.s. what colour are you going for on the bike?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Morning Adie, thanks for that, it puts my mind at rest and now I can crack on with finishing the respray.

The bike was Diablo Black and as I have the original side panels I'm staying with the original colour.

Thanks again for the continued support, it's much appreciated. How did you get on with the murky pond?!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    No problem about support, Skip - that's a given. Sorry about the brainfart over colour, I did recall our conversation a few minutes later! What "confused" me was the fact that your new decals have a black "centre" and I ASSUMED (ass ... u ... me ..... duh!) they would be just the white outline!

Aaahh ... the murky pond. Total nightmare. I'm going to try a chemical solution to the blanket weed and water clarity problems because catching and moving the koi is just so stressful for them (and me) and I'm assured that there IS something that does really work. We'lll see.

The answer is to have one of each .............................................................. works for me. :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    I'd assumed the same thing Adie but I'm guessing the black centre stops the outline from deforming.

.I wouldn't have a problem with fireball orange Ron but I dont want to change from the original colour.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    You're probably right about the decals. I did feel motivated to go out and check the decals on mine and I'm certain that they, too, are not just outlines since you can feel where the clearcoat goes over the ridge at the outer edges of the characters but not between the outlines. Not sure if that makes sense but the point is I'm sure that what you've got is the same as is on mine.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Glad to hear that mate cheers. I did a quick Google and saw a picture of an orange speedy with black inside the triumph logo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Christmas has come early!:). After searching for ages I stumbled across a bloke in France breaking a trident, managed to pick up most of the bits for the headlight I needed. 20190731_204739.jpg

Just need to respray the tubes and brackets, a UK lens and I'm sorted.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190806_063401.jpg

Paint on the petrol tank is done now, I'm happy with the results as I've never done this before. Front mudguard is still a work in progress though, I thought I had it flat but the black paint shows every tiny little mark so I've had to rub it down and start again. I've still got to get the tank decals in the right place though :scream:

• Like Like x 6
  14. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hey Skip.

If you need to do the whatsapp deal - with a cloth tape measure - drop me a text with preferred time, etc.

Tank looks great, BTW!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Top man. Cheers Adie.

I'll going to get someone to put the clear coat on for me, I don't mind the paint with a decent mask but 2 pack is a different story!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190816_073200.jpg 20190816_073233.jpg 20190816_073244.jpg

Happy Days. All the headlight mounts are finished and in the right colour, I managed to find a UK lens on fleabay for sensible money because the chrome ring was a mess, luckily the one from France was in perfect nick.

This has been one of my biggest hold ups as I haven't been able to put on the clip ons and top yoke, new front brake lines or mount the clocks until I had the headlight mounts. Time to finish the front end now! :)

• Like Like x 8
  17. Ivor

Ivor Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2019
    Southampton UK
    nice work and attention to detail Skip , looking forward to seeing coming together and on the road

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1