Featured Mk1 Speed Triple

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Skip, Apr 16, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Riffraffracing

Riffraffracing Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Aberdeen
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Riffraffracing

Riffraffracing Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2019
    Aberdeen
    Great work so far. The engine paintings superb work. Hats off to you Skip

• Like Like x 2
  3. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Thanks very much Riffraff, I really enjoyed painting it, you get instant satisfaction:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    I'll say it quick cos it still smarts a bit - £140 :eek::eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190502_082741.jpg
    OK, so I had a bit of a sense of humour failure yesterday, the groove in the swingarm really annoyed me. I got on with something else for a bit, stopped for a brew and decided to stop moaning. I had a quick look around but couldn't find a suitable replacement.
    Thanks to David Cooper on here for the answer to my wanted post.
    Then I went to see the boys in a nearby unit, had a quick chat and 10 minutes later had a nice little bead of ally weld in the groove, dressed it up and painted it and you'd never know, happy days.
    So here's all the bits ready to go back together and in the frame.

20190502_082741.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  6. dilligaf

dilligaf Guest

Looking smart mate :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Thanks Dilli. Hope you enjoyed the IOM

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190515_080341.jpg 20190515_081428.jpg
    Morning All, sorry that I haven't updated this thread for a while, things have been a bit manic with work and everything.
    So here we are up to date, all the suspension and swing arm back in the frame, lots of lovely fresh grease and new bolts where needed, the swing arm pivot bolt is a b**tard to get in, there are so many bits to line up and the end of the shaft is flat with an internal thread so you can't hammer it. 20190504_122132[1].jpg I made this little tool from a bit of nylon I had laying about, a bit crude but it worked a treat, the recessed end fits in the shaft and protects the thread, the pointy end lines everything up for easy fitting. If anybody wants one let me know!
    The engine is back in its rightful place, it was a bit of a twat to get in to be honest, especially as I didn't want to mark the nice new paint job.

• Like Like x 7
  9. Bad Billy

Bad Billy Baddest Member

Jun 1, 2017
    Southern Softyville
    Looking good mate, fitting engines is difficult especially when it's freshly painted I imagine, like the 'tool' you made to get the job done, brilliant, love threads like yours, keep it coming! :p

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Hello, been way too long, sorry for that. Work has been ongoing although not as quick as I'd like, life seems to get in the way. I've been really slack at taking photos and updating this post but here are a couple of photos of progress so far. 20190619_081741.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    I've been busy picking up random bits of 'zorst from ebay, the link pipe was a decat pipe for a Kwak, I had to cut it down and get the welder out to make an adapter but I'm happy with it for a tenner 20190619_081707.jpg 20190619_081625.jpg The end can is from a Suzi GSXR, I didn't have to do anything to that. Both bits are SP Engineering, nice quality stuff they turn out. It's just dry fitted here as I need to make a hanger bracket.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190711_124808.jpg
    So work is moving on, I'm busy sorting out all the little dinks and chips in the tank ready for painting, front mudguard is rubbed down and in primer already. I have a problem though, maybe someone here can help?
    I called Morelli Paint today armed with the paint code for Diablo Black that I got here on the forum, thanks to Stevej for listing them all, trouble is Dupont don't make that colour anymore. Anyone know of an alternative? It has to be right because I've got the original ST side panels and I don't want to have to respray them too, the decals are expensive! Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  13. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Hey Skip. I have NO idea how I've managed to miss this whole thread ... until 15 minutes ago when you updated it!

Can't help directly with the answer to your question about paint but wonder if it's worth phoning RS Paints :-

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/shop-paints.php?colourscheme=11150&4076=on

and confirming what their web site suggests - i.e. that they have an "equivalent"?

Great work on creating another Speedie, BTW. Looking forward to seeing the finished article!

Regards,

Adie

p.s. yes, interested in your swinging arm bolt locator solution if you've got one available!
    PPS have you spoken to Trevor at Sprint Manufacturing regarding paint colours/supplies?

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Cheers Adie, I'll check out RS and see what they can do, I hadn't thought of calling Trevor, I should have as I've been getting a good few parts from him, thanks very much.
    PM me your address and I'll stick a swinging arm bolt helper in the post to you.
    All the best mate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dougie D

Dougie D Crème de la Crème

Jan 30, 2016
    Blairgowrie Perthshire
    Just noticed this thread too,love seeing them getting transformed:cool:
    good luck with the rest of the build

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Yep, Trevor is THE MAN for most things early Hinckley and he has a number of Mk1 ST's - mainly Avon Race Series bikes - in the foyer of his place so it's well worth a trip out there if you're close enough.

RS's web site does suggest the paint is available HOWEVER ..... you need to consider that the side panels and seat hump are likely to be original paint so will have accumulated twenty odd years of wear and fade so they'll look different next to your newly painted tank anyway even if you do get the original colour paint spec'd. Isn't there anywhere that can recreate the side decals - another question for Trevor, maybe - at a reasonbale price, perhaps from a photo and dimensions? I'd have thought one of these "laser cut" vinyl sticker companies might do it - just remember to spec a material capable of being clearcoat covered.

Thanks for the bolt helper - will pm you dreckly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Agreed, I visited Sprint a while back as I was passing, I spend loads of time travelling to and from Devon and Cornwall with work so it's on the way. This is also how I know that 'dreckly' down your way means any time in the next 3 weeks ;).

It's a good point about the side panel covers, sadly I don't have the seat hump, originals are like hens teeth so I'll probably go with a repro one from Trevor. I have been remaining optimistic that a gentle tickle with a very fine polishing compound and a good buff up will bring them up to spec. I'm ignoring the fact that her last owner didn't love her properly, didn't look after her and blew her engine to bits:scream:

I hadn't thought of getting the decals reproduced though, we've just had our new vans done at work, maybe those boys could do it...

I'm really grateful for the advice, thanks very much

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  18. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    20190715_123249.jpg

Tank's all repaired, rubbed down and put in primer. Massive thanks to Adie P for putting me onto RS Bike paint, they have dispatched the paint today, fingers (and everything else) crossed that it's the right colour o_O
    Spent most of the weekend fannying around with the rear caliper that had a broken off bleed nipple. I thought it would be an easy little job but turned into a swearing fest, I've never had much luck with easy outs sadly that is still true! After drilling out the nipple as much as I dared I used the thickest easy out I could get it, the bloody thing snapped off :mad:
    No chance of drilling that out so I had to use a nut placed over the broken nipple and filled the hole with a weld, first go didn't work, more swearing ensued followed by a beer break. I had another go and turned the amps up a little, this got the nut glowing orange, I sprayed it with WD40 until it was cool and out it came, happy days.
    Why is it always the little things?!

• Like Like x 6
  19. Skip

Skip Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2019
    South Coast
    Result today.
    I checked World of Triumph and the tank decals are £15 each plus postage :scream:
    I found a company called The Image Works online, I called them and now have the tank decals in the post for £8, I checked and the bloke reckons they're fine to clear coat over. If you have need you can find them at;
    http://www.bike-stickers.com/homepa...5aWaUpbXMV23aqHiCvHaBNvM3Hd5mRSE2it7JWpr1q4X0
    Paint turned up today, temperature is great for spraying with the nice weather, photos soon.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    Could have sworn I'd replied to that post with a picture of the newly primer'd tank ..... which looks PUKKA! So glad that RS came up trumps, too. I've heard only good things about them so hope your experience is the same.

That Image Works find is a cracker, too - nice work Skip!

As a tip anything you can get in WoT is likely to be available from any other dealer (and probably, I'm told, without the 'premium' added by WoT!) - with the exception, perhaps, of the discount sales on TRIUMPH branded clothing. WoT seem to get exclusive right to that. Other dealers seem to be allowed to discount certain stock items but not with the kind of volumes and discounts offered by WoT.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1