Led Headlight

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Madmatt, Oct 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    I've been caught with main beam staying on too...and a friendly flash isn't delivered as expected.

Triumph have tried to clean the switch gear up, but perhaps they were a bit too efficient. I was trying to start my neighbour's Grom with its kill switch the other day...didn't think of looking for a separate start button.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering LED H4 bulbs for my 2016 Speed,
    I checked the clearance from the back surface of the OEM connector to the inner surface of the lid. I have about 15mm of extra room to cope with a heatsink.
    Beside, I need to find a H4 LED bulb that has a build-in driver as I just want to fit the connection on the side within the housing without having to deal with a bulky external driver. Typically, the philips look great but their driver is the size of the pack of cigs..where the hell do I tuck this when I install it on a naked bike?
    Last but not least, I'm looking for a decent quality to make the switch worth it.

Any thoughts?

cheers,

Rémi

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Member

May 16, 2017
    Swindon, WILTS
    ..am considering an LED upgrade of sorts also so will watch this thread with interest.

Compared to my previous bikes, the headlights on my 2017 Speed are actually pretty good; however, I have just rode home with a mate on a VFR with OEM LEDs and the difference if huge, given its a modern bike I am keen to improve the form and function if there is a sensible way of doing it that doesn't annoy other road users and/or look like a Halfords upgrade (we all remember the blue headlight washers right?)..

4. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Member

May 16, 2017
    Swindon, WILTS
  5. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    Hi,

yes that's +1 for the flexible heatsink, although a more active cooling such as a fan would probably help.
    I had a look at your link but it seems that these ones have a bulky driver at midway from their harness.
    The thing is that the room allowance is really tiny in the headlight housing..

cheers,

R

6. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Member

May 16, 2017
    Swindon, WILTS
    Yes, on the Fireblade I simply wedged the 'controller' in behind the cap prior to spreading the copper braid, it worked fine (space was tight on the Fireblade also), though I haven't investigated the space on the Speed as yet...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also stress these were H7 bulbs and not H4 also. I tested the heat on numerous occasions after running for hours and even during the summer (daytime) temperatures were fine. Overall I was pretty pleased with the solution, it was neat, looks good and gave a decent throw of light, certainly I never regretted fitting them...

7. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    you are a Tetris game master for sure :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. mikesouthby

mikesouthby Member

May 16, 2017
    Swindon, WILTS
    :)

9. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi any progress so far in your search for LED H4 bulbs ?

10. Blueskip

Blueskip Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Paris
    Hi,

I'm thinking about these ones:
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...mpact-heat-sink/3929/8565/#/tab/Photos&Videos

They don't have external drivers, and the heat sink in compact. It also seems that you can place the flange,then snap on the retaining clip and finally screw on the bulb on the flange. The price is relatively cheap so I'm not sure about the build quality. The kelvin temp seems a bit high.

I measured the other day the clearance between the current halogen bulbs connector and the inner surface of the dust cap, we are somewhere about 14mm.

Larger bulbs, longer heat sinks would require custom build dust covers, but this would be unwanted work for just a couple extra mm. The fork tubes are in the way when fully left or right, so this is not really an option.

Cheers,

R

11. SpeedS

SpeedS New Member

Mar 25, 2018
    Lexington
    I have a 2017 Speedy. US Canada and Japan models do not have the switch to select between headlights and the DRL LED light. If you look at youtube videos from the UK or EU you can spot the large grey switch on the left side side switchcube. We don't have the DRL only option.

12. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    That’s because we can trusted to turn our lights on at night!

13. bob1

bob1 Noble Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Somerset
    i got some leds on ebay for my fireblade they look fantastic but they are a mot failure

14. Aaron van Twist

Aaron van Twist New Member

Feb 13, 2018
    Netherlands
    I have installed a set of ebay 20€ leds in my 2017 S3.
    Its a bit of a struggle , bit it fits and works perfectly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Oh Aaron, you do realise that teasing us with this information and not providing pictures is a cardinal sin here;)

Pics or it didn't happen:)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Aaron van Twist

Feb 13, 2018
    Netherlands
    Here you go ;)

IMG_20180411_213802.jpg

IMG_20180411_213751.jpg

IMG_20180411_213735.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. Aaron van Twist

Feb 13, 2018
    Netherlands
    its a bit of a struggle to place the connectors into the housing. Best way is to take of the mounting clip and put the lamp and cables into the housing and then to put the cli back to secure and hold the lamp.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Any chance you can provide a link to the eBay listing so I can take a look?

19. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe