Led Headlight

Discussion in 'Speed Triple' started by Madmatt, Oct 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Hi. I’ve just got myself a speed triple s, and am loving it. I really like all the LED lights, but feel the look is let down by the filament bulb. I’m thinking about installing H4 LEDs, has anyone done this? And are they any good?
    Thanks Matt

2. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    As far as i know they work but on some bikes they flicker for some reason

3. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Hi Matt, I also want to do mine but haven't got round to it yet. I am looking at getting a set of the Phillips H4 LED lights. Not sure if there will be fitment issues or other problems. Sure someone will be around soon with more info. There is a review or two on you tube.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Moe

Moe Senior Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Colchester
    Hi, I think they flicker because there's too much power going to them, LEDs run on a lot less than filaments. Think you need a resistor in place for each bulb

5. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    If the LED's are flickering I would

1.) check the charging system voltage
    2.) check whether or not they are canbus compatible ( depending on age of bike )
    3.) check the connections in the circuit.
    4.) don't buy cheap, go for a good Name make Philips or the like

An LED doesn't draw any significant power compared to a tungsten filament bulb, but, they do have a heat sink on a lot of the ones I have seen and as such you will need to make sure that there is adequate cooling for the heatsink as this may cause issues if its getting too hot for the electronics.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    I’ve had a good look inside the lights, and it doesn’t look like there’s enough space to fit. Think I might just replace the bulbs with Phillips or osram.

7. Angus

Angus Noble Member

Mar 19, 2017
    South Africa
    Even for the Phillips H4 ?

8. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    only with indicators

9. Davie_M

Davie_M Active Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Hamilton
    3 pistons was selling led bulbs they fitted the round lights and fox eye ones
    but as i said some seem to flicker so he stopped selling them

10. DANSOME

DANSOME Active Member

Nov 1, 2016
    E.U.
    The stock bulbs on my '16 Speed look slightly better than the average budget filament ones. However, if you still feel like upgrading why not go for Philips Diamond Vision? They are ultra bright and much cheaper than LEDs. I have fitted a pair of them on my car and they look nearly the same as the DRL LEDs.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Madmatt

Madmatt Member

Sep 22, 2017
    London
    Hi. Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the diamond vision bulb. They look pretty good with the look I’m after, a similar colour to the DRL. I’ve just ordered a set from flebay, for less than a set from halfrauds.

12. Red Thunder

Red Thunder Crème de la Crème

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Thanks for the tip, £25 on Amazon for a pair.

Hmmm "Philips Diamond Vision H4 Bulbs are not road legal in the EU" ... powerbulbs.com

Do not offer brighter vision but a white light for enhanced styling

Still, better than the warmish yellow light on standard H4 bulbs

13. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Considering some cars blatantly use blue bulbs for their side lights or LEDs fitted to the washer jets I would hope these don't attract too much attention

14. MrTriple

MrTriple One Cylinder Short

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    #14 MrTriple, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    I've had Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H4 lamps fitted for the last 18 months - they are bright and very visible but don't light up the road as well as the stock ones did. They're coloured blue, which creates a distinctive blue reflection when they're switched off. When on, they produce a cool white light as expected, and give a bluish flash from the reflectors as the viewing angle changes.

Summary - they look amazing, but they're not as effective.

I rarely go out in the dark :laughing:

Headlamps off / DRL on:

2017-10-06 15.48.16.jpg

Headlamps on / DRL on:

2017-10-06 15.48.04.jpg

Headlamps on / DRL on:

2017-10-06 16.00.48.jpg

Note: The blue colour is only seen on the reflector...they do not shed a blue light.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Oldyam

Oldyam Grumpy Old Git

May 14, 2017
    ireland
    You would probably be better off with bulbs putting out light in the 4300k range as they're a whiter light, and produce more "visible" light on the road and because of that appear brighter

16. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    They're white enough, and provide enough light, and I have a spare set...so maybe next time round ;)

17. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    What! Headlamps and DRL on, I didn't know they can do that!
    How? please tell

18. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    Are you telling me that the DRL isn't on when the headlamp is on :confused: ?

I thought it remained on...but dimmed slightly - is that just the headlight shining through? I swear it looks as if it's switched on.

I did say I didn't go out at night.

19. MrTriple

Jan 23, 2017
    Epping Forest
    OK. I've just been out to check. The DRL dims but remains ON when the headlight is ON. I disconnected one side to prove it to myself. To answer your question...you just press the rocker switch :yum

Left headlight disconnected...DRL still on while right headlight is on:

2017-10-06 17.51.23.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Red Thunder

Dec 2, 2014
    High Wycombe
    Thanks for doing that, I always presumed the DRL was off when the main bulb was on.
    What I don't like is if you have the main light on full beam, and switch the rocker to DRL, the main beam stays on!

Just really wish it was possible to flash the main beam when the headlight is on, instead it changes from full beam to low beam

• Agree Agree x 1