Internal Combustion Engine Ban 2030

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Nov 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    #41 MadMrB, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    How about collecting the tax from tech giants like Google and Amazon, on the earnings they make from UK tax payers.

Or taxing the production and use of unnecessary plastics, like those used for food wrappings, water bottles, etc. That would cut down on the use of petro chemicals and also reduce the amount of non recyclable plastics ending up in land fill and oceans.

What about taxing heavily the use of small capacity aircraft, so those virtue signalling celebrity twats that preach to us whilst flying all over the place in their private jets have to pay for their hypocrisy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MARKYMARKTHREE

MARKYMARKTHREE Senior Member

Feb 11, 2020
    SOMERSET
    Yep they could and should do all of that. But they wont be giving us a 50 billion tax saving from fuel and road tax they have to hit us somewhere and the fairest way is millage. That way my MRS who does 3000 miles a year pays X and me doing 12000 pays 4 times that.

3. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    Put some extra on fuel and you will pay more, the total electric vehicle idea is still a long way off and most of us won't be worried about such things by then

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Judd Dredd

Judd Dredd Giver of Drugs, Vaccines and Hard Truths

Jan 13, 2019
    here and there
    #44 Judd Dredd, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Jadorff

Jadorff Noble Member

Apr 14, 2019
    Adelaide Australia
    they tried to pass a bill here in South Australia ,recently a mileage tax for electricle cars. didn't pass

• Like Like x 3
  6. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Don’t tell her having said that I guess she might notice lol

7. Tricky-Dicky

Tricky-Dicky Crème de la Crème

Dec 12, 2016
    Norfolk UK
    Next move is a tax on passing wind.:p:p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    I think for people of my age or similar, the best thing to do is buy a 12 month old ICE car in 8 or 9 years. Even if i'm still here then, I won't be doing many miles.
    I've still got my bus pass actually. I paid an extra £10 so I could use the tram but because of covid, I've not used my pass at all yet.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Yep I applied for my bus pass when I got to 65. Only ever use it when I go back to Newcastle to see family, cause using the car in the city is a no no. Have used it in Manchester a couple of times, but the buses where I live don’t run that often, so it has to be the bike or the car.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    Found this on the net recently.....
    https://newatlas.com/energy/nano-diamond-self-charging-batteries-ndb/

No idea if it's BS or what. It sounds too good to be true and we know how that saying usually ends but if it develops onto a usable product anything like as good as they're predicting then it could answer the vehicle battery problem. Still prefer a 2 stroke though.:grinning:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Gyp

Gyp Well-Known Member

May 13, 2020
    United Kingdom
    Am I not right in thinking that the 2030 ban will be on ICE-only cars?

So whilst all electric would he fine, so would petrol/diesel electric hybrids as they are not solely ICE.

Cars that use electric in town and petrol/diesel on long journeys does seem like a good compromise ,especially if they can be recharged at home.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steve lovatt

steve lovatt Something else

May 12, 2014
    North Yorkshire
    The ban would have included hybrid cars as well but they have extended their stay of execution until 2035 o_O

• Like Like x 1
  13. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    Not quite, the 2030 ban is solely for petrol and diesel cars but the plans were also to ban hybrids from 2035.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    That's also targeted in the gunsight to eleminate methane. Hope they don't figure out alcohol production releases a boatload of carbon dioxide, or carbonated beverages. The greenies won't be happy until all manufacturing and ice transportation is eleminated FROM THEIR UTOPIAN BACKYARDS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    In the USA roads are predominantly paid for by fossil fuel taxes. Ev owners are now upset because their license fees have skyrocketed to help pay for roads also, and their free lunch has partially ended.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Amazed this has run to 3 pages.

You would need to be Princess Nut Nut to think it is going to happen. Johnson is already electoral poison. The Tories will have thrown him out well before the next election. Middle UK does not vote woke/green pseudo Cal-i-four-nigh-ay.

• Like Like x 4
  17. andypandy

andypandy Crème de la Crème

Jan 10, 2016
    Shaw
    Well if this particular bee gets in your bonnet I can see it passing 30 pages at least ! :eek::rolleyes::)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    We all know about hydrogen and the fuel cell technology but what about adapting existing ICE's to burn hydrogen, in a similar way to a LPG conversion?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    Nae danger!

It’s classic dead cat politics.

20. Erling

Erling Elite Member

Dec 12, 2017
    Norway
    Like everything else, it's been done.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_internal_combustion_engine_vehicle
    "Between 2005 - 2007, BMW tested a luxury car named the BMW Hydrogen 7, powered by a hydrogen ICE, which achieved 301 km/h (187 mph) in tests."

So that killed it, I suppose. Can't have that.

• Like Like x 1