Internal Combustion Engine Ban 2030

Discussion in 'Triumph General Discussion' started by beerkat, Nov 14, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    You'll have heard that the government wants to bring forward the ban on internal combustion engine (ICE) production to 2030. I'm wondering what effect this will have on the value of our used bikes as the remaining 10 years tick down.
    For those people that change their bike regularly at a dealer, I guess they'll ride in on their ICE triumph and ride out on the electric version, having done the part-ex thing as usual. But what about us folk that like to keep our bikes for years? What will they be worth as we move beyond 2030? I have two Hondas that are already 30 years old. At the moment they are worth reasonable money but who is going to want to buy them, or my Bonneville (which will be 13 years old in 2030), in 2030+ or whenever?
    I guess petrol stations will become fewer as petrol demand dwindles. Part and spares will become more difficult to come by and people capable of fixing these bikes will gradually disappear.
    Yes, I realise some of you will be past it by then so couldn't give a toss but many of you will still be riding. This isn't a question of whether or not electric vehicles should replace ICE vehicles because ultimately they will and probably quite rightly. I want to know other peoples opinions on the future for the bikes we own now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Samsgrandad

Samsgrandad Senior Member

Dec 15, 2019
    Somerset
    The proposed ban on petrol and diesel engined vehicles applies to cars, there is no mention of bikes in the announcement, however that of course may change.
    Secondly there are so many vehicles on the road now that are over 10 or 20 years old and that will continue in 2030. There will therefore be a need for petrol stations and the infrastructure to service and repair ICE's for many years after 2030.
    Thirdly the infrastructure for electric vehicles is not capable of supporting a complete switch to electric, also the National Grid would not be capable of supplying the power needed to recharge if all or the majority of cars were electric.

On that basis I am of the opinion that we will be OK to use our bikes for many many years.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Adie P

Adie P Crème de la Crème

Jul 7, 2018
    MID DEVON
    It IS a bit of a worry, I agree. I have a lot of (old and old'ish) bikes plus a classic car and I, too, wonder about the future ..... BUT, look at today's situation. There are still many hugely "environmentally unfriendly" vehicles that are still allowed out on to the roads - trucks, cars, buses, etc., et al., and I think the situation will prevail ..... as long as it's a manageable, minority pursuit. Look at the retention and even growth of steam railways if you want a good example of something that's as polluting as you can get yet more popular than ever before.

In terms of the 'value' of these vehicles, that's pretty unpredictable, really. If you look at the values of vehicles that are now 50 or 60 years old, you'll see a huge range of prices and I suspect that, again, a similar picture will emerge - albeit one that will be rather more constrained by the lack of, perhaps, fuel availability and other similar 'environmental' factors.

What has to happen is that the issues of our overcrowded roads and over-dependency on fossil fuels for almost every aspect of life, need to be addresed for the long term. When they start making and using viable "clean energy" powered commercial marine vessels THEN the writing really will be on the wall! IMHO.

My oldest bike is a 1962 - and it's a 2 smoke - but I still plan (hope?) to be riding it in 2030!

• Like Like x 3
  4. Old dumb arse

Old dumb arse Noble Member

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    Your talking about production of new vehicles which you clearly stated. At this time there is little funding available for the massive high peak demand electrical distribution system infrastructure required to support an all electric vehicle society. Combustion vehicles are a balance of power, instead of all your eggs in one basket subject to the electrical power companies $$$$$$$$$$$$ demands. Keep them as they become more valuable, as demand drops the price of "fossil" fuel, and electrical power costs soar.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Callumity

Callumity Elite Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Nr Biggar
    I think the present administration (I would not dignify it as a ‘government ‘) needs to confine its ambitions to surviving into next year rather than getting carried away with Princess Nut Nuts’ manifesto.....

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  6. curly

curly Noble Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Burton Upon Trent
    I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if classic vehicle owners don't get stigmatised, nasty, dirty, smelly, and simple things.
    Not sure if that's the vehicles or the owners, possibly both!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tallpaul

Tallpaul Noble Member

Apr 7, 2019
    Kidderminster
    The National Grid is hanging on by the skin of it's teeth at Winter peak times already. Coupled with the fact there is a massive shortage of parking with easy access to power without trailing electricity cable across gardens, public footpaths etc. Governments need to look a bit closer at the feasibility of satisfying the demand for recharging. It's more than 10 years work and the system is overloaded now.
    Or is it in order to prevent the non elites having their own private transport, forcing us onto state run public transport, unless you are a paid up, vaccinated party member.......discuss..................

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    In my mind even if they stop production of new cars in 2030, it will be many years before our bikes will become obsolete. To be honest by the time that comes around the youngster will be behind the change and most of us will be long gone. So for me I aint going to worry about it. Stay safe and keep riding guy's :):):)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    I'm pretty sure big oil is paying someone millions to be Princess Nut Nut's lover. Now that she's getting laid her philosophy may have changed. If you think big oil were robber barons, meet Mr bigger electrical suppliers representative Ben Dover!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. ChasChas

ChasChas Marxist Scum

Aug 9, 2020
    Kent
    As I buy secondhand I'm not overly worried. The value of my bike may tank but so will it's future replacement.

With cars, same will apply. I'm looking forward to picking up some big engined bargains.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Stephen Martin

Stephen Martin Senior Member

Aug 31, 2020
    Isle of Wight
    good job I've kept my 2 stroke then, I'm sure my portable smoke screen will be well received :p

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    I could not give a toss, by the time all this comes to fruition and the last petrol/diesel vehicle bow's out I will be away to the happy hunting ground, I will do my utmost to enjoy the coming years as best I can, I prefer to buy second hand as it is and would not waste my money on these overpriced [as it stands] eco vehicles.

Like a good many previous posts have stated the infrastructure at present is not ready to receive the plans of our masters and it seems that they are not considering the transport of goods and the like.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. beerkat

beerkat Senior Member

Aug 14, 2019
    Cheshire UK
    Well thank you chaps for your wise words. It appears I have nothing to worry about :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    I’m more worried that no one in govt seems to twig that more cycle lanes created means more pollution from vehicles that are stuck in traffic on the little strips of road still remaining... yes we love clean air but this is making it worse. Hybrids as an interim could perhaps use the ‘electric only’ lanes springing up. For me I wouldn’t have an electric motorcycle... I’ll be old enough to hang my clogs up anyhow but this is because I think a silent motorbike is lethal to pedestrians and the rider.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. MadMrB

MadMrB Elite Member

Dec 24, 2018
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I'm going to keep riding my ICE bikes for as long as I can, I'm not particularly bothered what they will be worth to anyone else in the future, they will maintain their value to me hopefully for many many years to come :)

Ultimately if the globalists and climate alarmists get their way, then there will be no private ownership of vehicles regardless of how they are powered. If you don't believe me go take a look at the World Economic Forum website :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Wessa

Wessa Cruising

Apr 27, 2016
    North West England
    Whilst that is a scary thought, you may will be right at some point in the future. I reckon I will be long gone by the time we get there though :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Pegscraper

Pegscraper Elite Member

Jun 12, 2020
    Yorkshire
    #17 Pegscraper, Nov 16, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Incentives will and are being offered to change to electric vehicles and these incentives will, no doubt, be increased. Sooner or later though they're going to have to bring in some "dis-incentives" or penalties for those who want to hang on to their real engines and there's plenty of ways they can do that. Otherwise, all that will happen is there will be a rush to buy new petrol/diesel vehicles before the deadline and the 2nd hand prices will hold or even increase. I just can't can't see that being allowed to happen. Widespread use of electric commercial vehicles, particularly HGV's is decades away but, as we all know, the private motorist is an easy target. Having said all that, don't confuse me with someone who's bothered because I ain't and if I want another real bike I'll buy one.:):grinning:

• Like Like x 4
  18. cliverdee

cliverdee Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Nottingham
    On a brighter note those of a certain age will remember we were all doomed in the mid twentieth century by inevitable nuclear war or accident, but we are still here.. and when jet aircraft were invented we thought it sealed the end of piston engined flight ... but all still here ... so I think they will find a use for electric vehicles alongside our pop bang ice ones too as no one appears to appreciate the scale of trying to make everything electric... compulsory electric milk floats would actually be good again as we have a milk person round here delivering at 2 a.m. with a clapped out noisy diesel transit ...:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don the Don

Don the Don Bigger Than The Average Bear

Nov 5, 2019
    MORAY UK
    We may as well carry on regardless, and enjoy our machines, the next lot can look at them in a museum.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Old dumb arse

Mar 28, 2020
    KS
    And diesel burning jet aircraft engines will continue to proliferate due to the ev transportation issues and the associated costs. Solutions have to be cost effective for the masses in both urban and remote locations. Load up the nut cases on an ev bus and send them on a journey in a non urban environment to collect the rare earth materials that ev rely on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1